Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991795 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7020 on: October 22, 2017, 05:08:01 pm »

The only way out of this that I see that wouldn't end in potential violence would be to have both sides calm down and (Madrid in particular) agree to negotiate and talk about things.
I hoped to this four weeks ago...

However, they seem to be headed in the opposite direction.
But this.

Madrid, that is, the Popular Party, simply refuse to negotiate anything at all. They've been pushing for this for ten years. Now they're kind of fapping at the possibility of ruining Catalonian autonomy. Some of their most moronic members actually mulled doing the same thing to other autonomous communities, including the Basque Country  and, oddly enough, Castilla la Mancha (aka: the half of Castile that is under the PSOE control). As if the Catalonian fiasco was not a volatile enough siutation by itself.

This situation is going to end badly. I dont know how they managed to get this whole fuckery going without even a parliament majority. Seriously, one would expect the PSOE, corrupt and ideologically hollow as it is, would have better sense than to join into this massive rain of crap.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:10:32 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: October 22, 2017, 05:31:37 pm »

So, this might very well encourage more European balkanization?

The Italian thing seems to just be Italian politics, and they're asking for more autonomy, not outright secession.

I looked at wiki and a lot of the movements are more for autonomous regions than outright independence/secession. Catalonia is the only one that seems to want to go that far atm, well, and the Basques. I really don't see it encouraging more European balkanization (other than perhaps the balkans themselves) since Spain is being a real ass about it in this situation.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: October 22, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »

Fun fact:  Catalonians for the most part favored improved autonomy rather than secession. But ten years of PP buggering you and three weeks of outright political repression will erode anyone's patience
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: October 22, 2017, 06:36:16 pm »

The Czech Republic elected their own version of Trump to PM this weekend. The article (which is on the American portion of Politico for some reason) does go into stuff about warning about backsliding into the same policies that led to war in the first half of the 20th century. However, hopefully the cycle of wanting to invade each other etc is broken. I mean, look at France and England, they used to be mortal enemies, but the cycle of war was broken and now they're pretty much best buds even if they tease each other from time to time.

Also, Europe Politico article about Andrej Babis and the election results.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: October 22, 2017, 08:16:02 pm »

I didn't read the entire article but that is a great headline.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7025 on: October 23, 2017, 08:21:32 am »

However, hopefully the cycle of wanting to invade each other etc is broken. I mean, look at France and England, they used to be mortal enemies, but the cycle of war was broken and now they're pretty much best buds even if they tease each other from time to time.
Both the UK and France are nuclear nations & it's more important to examine the geopolitics than what people want, as what people want does not necessarily coincide with what will be done by people.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I made this thing to illustrate a point; the UK and France have not been at war since the Napoleonic wars, for they are neighbours separated by geographical barriers who have mutual interests shored up by the bonds of alliance. And luckily, our divergent interests are not cause for hostility. I would not use the UK-France alliance as proof that the cycle of war is broken, as the wheel is still turning. With our fingers crossed, the best we can aim for is that the wheel slows, then we can put it to a halt

The spate of recent terror attacks on European soil also played into the hands of right-wing agitators eager to connect the influx of migrants with Europeans' growing security concerns.
"IS please stop killing civilians, you're making the right wing stronger"

In Austria, meanwhile, there has been "a rise in share of [the] foreign-born population over the last 10 years," Rohac said. "Austrians will tell you they sort of fear becoming a minority in their own country, which is sort of silly. But the pace of change has been dramatic. … The hysteria over immigration is really unprecedented in this part of the world."
Ayy lmao stop being hysterical why we replace you

Regarding Babis, I think that article indicates why Americans need to sort out their god awful piece of shit media. If it's not references to Harry Potter and Star Wars to explain politics it's everything is Trump, not even trying to empathize with a non-American viewpoint D:

Anyways LW take on Czech election results:
Czech Republic is not irrelevant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Especially since it now solidifies a growing trend of the Visegrad group turning its eyes away from Berlin, and broadly all agreeing with one another on stricter border controls with Berlin & distance from Brussels.

What are ANO:
They're centrist liberals.
The media hype doesn't really live up to them. They're soft Eurosceptics, in that they don't want to set a fixed date for adopting the Euro for example, but the way the media covered them you'd think they'd be setting an independence date - nothing as exciting of the sort unfortunately, they're pretty mild in their convictions. This is aligned with much of the Visegrad Group's actions; try to eat from the EU and leave the shit, in as much capacity as humanly possible. Because Eastern Europe is yuropoor. Notable for having won in on populist grounds; holding politicians accountable for their wealth and "donations," corruption, transparency and so on. Hell, ANO aren't even opposed to adopting the Euro, they're just opposed to setting a fixed date. That barely even qualifies as eurosceptic in my book ffs, yet the media chalks up a hesitancy to run full swing into Merkel's playground as revolution.
ODS are conservatives (though they like to market themselves as liberal conservatives), who are again soft eurosceptics, but differ from ANO in that they're much more vocal in their opposition of EU policy. They oppose a federalized Europe and fully intend to frustrate attempts at integrating the Czech further into the EU, but otherwise do not seek repatriation of sovereignty or independence.
The Pirate Party imo are the coolest party to upset the traditional political stage and they get next to nil coverage, which is a shame, as they went from having no seats to having 10% of the votes. As the name suggests, they're all about protecting civil liberties, being anti-corruption and reforming copyright laws. But no one talks about them? Why? Obviously because the old establishment don't want the pirate parties to spread ;]

Also interestingly, within the EU the Czech Republic had one consistent ally: And that was the UK. Largely along the same lines of both countries wanting to be members of a free trade area, not a political hegemony, but since 2014 Babis had been moving the Czech from aligning with UK to Germany, thus it's quite apparent any Czech eurosceptics who actually voted for him are going to get further EU integration, not status quo or less.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 23, 2017, 05:52:49 pm »

European ministers of labour and social affairs have reached an agreement, after long and hard negotiations.
From 2021 onwards, EU workers taking a job in another EU country will have to be paid the same wages, and get the same benefits (like holidays, and social security benefits) as set for native workers, instead of just minimum wage.

About 2 million EU citizens work in another country than their own. Even though this is just a very small percentage of the total EU labour pool (0,7%), it has been a cause of great social and political tensions in the Western member states, with complaints about unfair competition, negative influence on wage development, and housing shortages in cities that need to shelter lots of foreign EU workers.

There's still a loophole in the new agreement though; Employers get a 1 year leniency period (extendable to 18 months in special circumstances), in which they can still pay their 'temporary' workers minimum wage.

The transport sector is excluded from the agreement, for this sector an agreement will be negotiated later.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/poolse-bouwvakker-krijgt-vanaf-2021-dezelfde-beloning-als-nederlandse-collega~a4523179/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7027 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:18 pm »

EU common wage? What a spicy idea

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: October 23, 2017, 06:00:48 pm »

EU common wage?
Well not really. A guy from Poland would still get a crappy wage in Poland, but he'd get paid Dutch wages when working in the Netherlands, instead of being 50% cheaper than a Dutch worker.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 23, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »

That's like an EU-wide common wage pegged to local cost of living, roughly corresponding to the US States' minimum wages which also differ considerably owing to the very different economic situations of the various regions. A great step forward, in my opinion.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 23, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »

From 2021 onwards, EU workers taking a job in another EU country will have to be paid the same wages, and get the same benefits (like holidays, and social security benefits) as set for native workers, instead of just minimum wage.

Which is great for countries that don't have a minimum wage but instead relies on powerful unions for workers to argue their worth, such as Sweden.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 23, 2017, 06:44:13 pm »

The one flaw with regional cost of living adjusted minimum wage is that it discourages people from the most efficient economic migration patterns. That's ok between different nations but less efficient when it's within a nation such as the USA. Should people in New York be paid more because the cost of living is higher or should they be encouraged to migrate to places with lower cost of living?  There should be some leeway in the minimum wages however the goal should be that they're moved towards parity.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:49:07 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: October 23, 2017, 07:14:05 pm »

The one flaw with regional cost of living adjusted minimum wage is that it discourages people from the most efficient economic migration patterns.
Why optimize purely for economic efficiency though? I'd consider allowing people to keep living where they grew up a good thing in and of itself. What you're suggesting is actually incredibly neoliberal: Something as fundamental as a person's surroundings, their family, their friends, all that should be subjugated to market forces.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 23, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »

The one flaw with regional cost of living adjusted minimum wage is that it discourages people from the most efficient economic migration patterns.
Why optimize purely for economic efficiency though? I'd consider allowing people to keep living where they grew up a good thing in and of itself. What you're suggesting is actually incredibly neoliberal: Something as fundamental as a person's surroundings, their family, their friends, all that should be subjugated to market forces.
+100000000

We've created cities no one can afford to live in, but that's where all the jobs are. Hence, urban sprawl and people having two-hour commutes (because fuck mass transit, right?). Oh, the rich can afford to live there in their mixed-use condos where they don't even need a car anymore. Meanwhile their housekeeper has to live a country or two away and spend a fifth of her paycheck on gas.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »

Actually, that sounds more like a Republican thing than neo-liberal, all of that should be subject to free market forces.

+100000000

We've created cities no one can afford to live in, but that's where all the jobs are. Hence, urban sprawl and people having two-hour commutes (because fuck mass transit, right?). Oh, the rich can afford to live there in their mixed-use condos where they don't even need a car anymore. Meanwhile their housekeeper has to live a country or two away and spend a fifth of her paycheck on gas.

Yep, whether you want to blame things on liberal policies or not, the problems that we need to fix are universial no matter your political leanings.

The problems aren't exactly new either, these problems have been around since, well, the first cities started getting built. It's just much more pronounced now because things are so concentrated in cities.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 793