Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002006 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8310 on: July 13, 2018, 03:34:31 pm »

This is intended to be a joke thread, is it not? There's another thread for politics.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:53 pm »

This is intended to be a joke thread, is it not?
Not exactly.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: July 13, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44816025

Concerning amounts of violence in northern Ireland.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: July 14, 2018, 01:17:05 am »

What started the violence six days ago? The article says that there have been six nights of violence, but doesn’t explain why, other than insinuating republicans rioting for the sake of rioting, which is a pretty bullshit explanation.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: July 14, 2018, 05:41:24 am »

What started the violence six days ago? The article says that there have been six nights of violence, but doesn’t explain why, other than insinuating republicans rioting for the sake of rioting, which is a pretty bullshit explanation.
My assumption is that it has something to do with being Irish. Ireland, the most western country in the middle east.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: July 14, 2018, 06:43:32 am »

12th of July is the date that Billy of Orange beat the Catholics up centuries ago, some members of the Orange Order - a Protestant organisation that doesn’t like Catholics - like to celebrate that by marching through Catholic neighboirhoods singing anti-Catholic songs, some Republicans don’t appreciate that. Violence ensues.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: July 14, 2018, 07:19:12 am »

There is no point in appeasing him
There is little point in appeasing him.
Actively provoking him, however...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: July 16, 2018, 07:47:20 pm »

12th of July is the date that Billy of Orange beat the Catholics up centuries ago, some members of the Orange Order - a Protestant organisation that doesn’t like Catholics - like to celebrate that by marching through Catholic neighboirhoods singing anti-Catholic songs, some Republicans don’t appreciate that. Violence ensues.
Wow, you love the republican side.

Anyway, for a slightly more balanced account of what happened in Londonderry: the Orange Order marched on the Thursday. A nationalist crowd attempted violence in the city centre but was prevented by the police. That evening and the following day... gangs of nationalists attempt to kill police officers.

I actually only know this from the article you yourself linked:
A Twelfth of July parade passed off peacefully in Derry on Thursday, although police in riot gear separated a group of nationalists from the return parade as it made its way through the Diamond in the city centre.

Attacks began early in the evening and continued into the early hours of Friday morning.

Petrol bombs were thrown towards police Land Rovers and at officers on the ground
it is clear that this is being orchestrated by a more sinister, adult, violent dissident republican element.
All of which seems to suggest that the riot wasn't because the nasty bogeymen Orangemen riled up the otherwise peaceful republicans. It was because violent republicans wanted to stir up yet more sectarian hate - a sin of which the Loyalist side is by no means innocent either.

I understand the desire to utilise populism and its associated buzzwords in an argument, hector, but please do not try to present it as a definitive and all encompassing account to those who ask for... well, information.

As an aside, I've yet to hear an Orange parade sing sectarian songs. This possibly stems from the fact that I have not seen a contested parade. Largely, however, I suspect that it is because most (possibly all?) are instrumental and lacking the necessary vocal component.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: July 16, 2018, 07:47:25 pm »

Only Daddy Jezza's guiding hand can save you now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: July 16, 2018, 09:42:39 pm »

Wow, you love the republican side.

Anyway, for a slightly more balanced account of what happened in Londonderry: the Orange Order marched on the Thursday. A nationalist crowd attempted violence in the city centre but was prevented by the police. That evening and the following day... gangs of nationalists attempt to kill police officers.

I actually only know this from the article you yourself linked:
A Twelfth of July parade passed off peacefully in Derry on Thursday, although police in riot gear separated a group of nationalists from the return parade as it made its way through the Diamond in the city centre.

Attacks began early in the evening and continued into the early hours of Friday morning.

Petrol bombs were thrown towards police Land Rovers and at officers on the ground
it is clear that this is being orchestrated by a more sinister, adult, violent dissident republican element.
All of which seems to suggest that the riot wasn't because the nasty bogeymen Orangemen riled up the otherwise peaceful republicans. It was because violent republicans wanted to stir up yet more sectarian hate - a sin of which the Loyalist side is by no means innocent either.

I understand the desire to utilise populism and its associated buzzwords in an argument, hector, but please do not try to present it as a definitive and all encompassing account to those who ask for... well, information.

As an aside, I've yet to hear an Orange parade sing sectarian songs. This possibly stems from the fact that I have not seen a contested parade. Largely, however, I suspect that it is because most (possibly all?) are instrumental and lacking the necessary vocal component.

I linked no article, I assume you refer to redwallzyl.

I appreciate what I said wasn’t clear, in that it was intended as a general comment on the situation in Northern Ireland - that is so happily split along political and religious lines, and there are fools on both sides - as opposed to the specific situation that was being discussed.

As for examples of sectarian nonsense, stuff on the eleventh and a refusal to reroute despite sectarian attacks on Catholics ‘cause apparently the Protestant right to freedom of expression is more important than the Catholic right to practice without fear of intimidation. Perhaps the Orangemen feel that a march is pointless if they don’t remind the losers, 300 years hence, that they lost?

Two stories of both sides being arses though: I used to work with a Catholic (Celtic fan, Green Brigade) who didn’t even blink at the irony of labeling all Protestants bigots, and my mother’s partner (Catholic, believer but not sure if practicing) used to be a police officer, and told the story of a colleague who was once called to his school because his young son had been suspended after shouting “ARE YOU A PAPE!?” at a fellow student before head-butting them in the face.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: July 17, 2018, 02:29:53 am »

I'm Mr Bulldops
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: July 17, 2018, 02:42:46 am »

Tory civil war's in full swing.

Also, apparently we voted against VAT alignment so we can't do any kind of BINO now unless the EU does some fuckery. Supposedly. I don't know much about this.

Regardless, hooray! I'm genuinely worried about the future of the country! Time to stock up on baked beans and MREs!

I was answering to ask whatever you're talking about, so I assume you're meaning Brexit In Name Only? Can you link? I'm frankly not sure is EU regulations re:VAT (which aren't that strict ) applies to EEA members.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: July 17, 2018, 06:54:55 am »

Look, if anything is clear is that pro-Brexit press is too fond of shrooms

Really, I think the most worrying thing about current events is how much the people managing this rely on a view of the world that is... dubious at best. Trump is not a friend, EU countries are not breaking rank with negotiations, and not even euroskeptical Hungary or Poland are actually leaving.  I think the balance of power, and the other party's actual interests in this shitfest have been and keep being grossly miscalculated
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:58:27 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: July 18, 2018, 02:42:12 am »

Gosh, that is so retarded I don't know what to say. I think in many ways the Brits are suffering from the English language. Every single EU negotiator or head of government reads the English press, and can get a fairly good idea of what Britain is thinking. How many Brits can read the Monde, El Pais or the Frankfurter Allgemeine?

(Should be noted that this article is a year old and more though.)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: July 18, 2018, 03:55:49 am »

Gosh, that is so retarded I don't know what to say. I think in many ways the Brits are suffering from the English language. Every single EU negotiator or head of government reads the English press, and can get a fairly good idea of what Britain is thinking. How many Brits can read the Monde, El Pais or the Frankfurter Allgemeine?

(Should be noted that this article is a year old and more though.)

If only they weren't leaving, then perhaps the future fourth reich the EU could have neutralized this barrier to integration with a little pruning of the west-germanic language tree's most impure branch...

This is still a terrible jokes thread, right?
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 793