Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 975213 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9615 on: February 19, 2019, 04:53:08 pm »

Ah, fuck it. Changed my mind. Not gonna engage. You guys carry on.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: February 19, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »

The issue is that you're pitting the potential (which, at the time of abortion, isn't capable of acknowledging the fact that it has or can have a life) of one life versus the rights of another to control their own life. Someone else is deciding what a woman can and cannot do with her own body, because of that other person's definitions of what is and is not life.

It's not a matter of empowering gender, it's a matter of allowing individuals to have some say in what happens to their life. Yes, the same would absolutely apply if men could/did bear children. The right to having a life doesn't mean a great deal if you're only allowed to have a life that is determined by the opinions of someone entirely removed from you. And pregnancy/birth are a considerably more personal and immediate impact on someone's life than the abstract of communal laws and norms, before anyone gets started on that.

As for adoption? I have to admit, I fail to see how it's morally preferable to give life to a child and then hand them off to an immensely fault-laden system to potentially drag out the rest of their existence hurt, ostracized, and forever wondering why they were abandoned; rather than simply stopping them from ever being a person to begin with, before they can be hurt or feel loss. But that's just my view of the subject.

And if it's viewed as being worth any consideration, a fair percentage of the very few people to actually utilize this option while it was still legally available (I believe the number was around 12 operations per year on average, for the entire country?) were women who had previously experienced extreme difficulty conceiving, and had sought help via fertility treatments. Fertility treatments which, coincidentally, have a disproportionate chance of resulting in twins.

So women who were otherwise more or less prevented from having children would get expensive and complicated medical help, finally reach a success, discover that they were pregnant with twins, and then be handed an ultimatum that they would either get more than they bargained for or have to terminate the entire affair.

So, yes, this ruling makes no sense because the moral authority of the Christian People's Party has decided that it is more ethically defensible to terminate two embryos than it is to just terminate the one while bringing the other to term, because abortion itself is still allowed (until they manage to get their hands on that as well, which they originally tried to do by saying that abortion laws are discriminatory against people with Downs).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: February 19, 2019, 06:08:50 pm »

Which, at the time of abortion, isn't capable of acknowledging the fact that it has or can have a life
So awareness of life is an important determining factor? Ought we to pull the cord on all comatose patients? However, I presume your intention is to highlight the lack of self-awareness as an important determining factor? I suppose I can understand that, though I think of it more as being asleep rather than being non existent. With the dawn, awareness will come. Please don't kill me in my sleep.

Someone else is deciding what a woman can and cannot do with her own body, because of that other person's definitions of what is and is not life.
Should women therefore be allowed to commit suicide - to slit their own wrists? Can she assault others with impunity? Can a woman truly do whatever she wishes with her own body? No. We draw the line at bodily harm - whether of herself or of others.

I presume that in answering this we can all agree that, in actuality, women should not be allowed to do whatever they want with their bodies. But then, of course, we come to the complication - ah, but there is no bodily harm here, for I define life differently from you! Perhaps you do. And is it therefore somehow morally reprehensible for me to refuse to stand by while something which I find profoundly more damaging than self-harm occurs? Simply because there are competing definitions?

It's not a matter of empowering gender, it's a matter of allowing individuals to have some say in what happens to their life. Yes, the same would absolutely apply if men could/did bear children. The right to having a life doesn't mean a great deal if you're only allowed to have a life that is determined by the opinions of someone entirely removed from you. And pregnancy/birth are a considerably more personal and immediate impact on someone's life than the abstract of communal laws and norms, before anyone gets started on that.
There are some widely accepted instances in which individuals should emphatically not have a say. See previous examples of self-harm and suicide, both of which I'm sure you'll agree are personal and have a huge impact on someone's life.

As for adoption? I have to admit, I fail to see how it's morally preferable to give life to a child and then hand them off to an immensely fault-laden system to potentially drag out the rest of their existence hurt, ostracized, and forever wondering why they were abandoned; rather than simply stopping them from ever being a person to begin with, before they can be hurt or feel loss. But that's just my view of the subject.
Ask an orphan in a schoolyard where he has been ostracised by all the other children whether he would prefer to not exist. See what he answers. Your kindness is the kindness of the surgical knife. Rational, perhaps, but entirely disassociated from compassion.

So women who were otherwise more or less prevented from having children would get expensive and complicated medical help, finally reach a success, discover that they were pregnant with twins, and then be handed an ultimatum that they would either get more than they bargained for or have to terminate the entire affair.
By my reasoning they would indeed have to deal with getting more than they bargained for. And I ask it again, just as it seems not to factor into most peoples' considerations - does no one care if the father gets what he 'bargained for'?

So, yes, this ruling makes no sense because the moral authority of the Christian People's Party has decided that it is more ethically defensible to terminate two embryos than it is to just terminate the one while bringing the other to term, because abortion itself is still allowed (until they manage to get their hands on that as well, which they originally tried to do by saying that abortion laws are discriminatory against people with Downs).
Yes, seems like they're handling their desire to curtail abortion in a rather self defeating manner.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: February 19, 2019, 06:31:36 pm »

The father actually gets less say in matters now than previously. Before it was the woman who made the choice, and therefore the man could communicate his wishes directly with her. Now there is an "impartial" panel of officials who will determine what happens, and who does not follow any regulations stating that they should listen to what the father has to say; only that they should take how the woman describes her own condition into consideration.

I could also argue about how an unconscious adult is notably different from a non-conscious fetus, or how being able to decide over your own body is not condoning of assault (in fact it's the exact opposite, but whatever), but it's evident that you want to maintain your moral crusade and there's little chance that I'm going to be swayed from my position either.

Instead, let us meditate on the futility of Norway, scrotum-like topograhy as it has, trying to invest heavily in land-based wind farms. Because clearly that is the best and least environmentally destructive alternative when looking for renewable energy sources.

Nevermind that you only get about 20% the turbine density and need three times the service roads as an actually flat country; we shall have a big wind, by the æsir!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: February 19, 2019, 06:36:22 pm »

"Here's a series of reasons why you're wrong, now let's look at wind turbines instead of continuing discussion."

0_o

Okay then.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: February 19, 2019, 06:42:12 pm »

You're not really discussing, more going "You're wrong, here's why" "no you're wrong, here's why" "but you're still wrong because" "ah but you're also wrong because"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: February 19, 2019, 06:45:58 pm »

i mean, i still think i deserve at least some praise for smoothly transitioning from abortion to baby pollution
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: February 19, 2019, 06:50:30 pm »

You're not really discussing, more going "You're wrong, here's why" "no you're wrong, here's why" "but you're still wrong because" "ah but you're also wrong because"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What we were doing definitely fulfils one or more of those criteria :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's what discussions ARE, or at least ones aimed at changing someone else's opinion

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: February 19, 2019, 08:28:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's what discussions ARE, or at least ones aimed at changing someone else's opinion
If don’t think either person in this instance was going to change their stance, regardless what the other said.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: February 19, 2019, 09:12:40 pm »

If don’t think either person in this instance was going to change their stance, regardless what the other said.
I think you're wrong. Here's why:
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: February 19, 2019, 10:03:32 pm »

I think you're wrong. Here's why: akshuli ur ryt ‘cause yur awsum

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:22 am »

I would caution against the termination of one of the twins simply because of the uncertainty as to whether it is the evil twin or the other.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: February 20, 2019, 12:42:23 am »

I would caution against the termination of one of the twins simply because of the uncertainty as to whether it is the evil twin or the other.
Just assess which one has a goatee beforehand. Should be simple
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: February 20, 2019, 02:05:42 pm »

Just assess which one has a goatee beforehand. Should be simple
But what if the evil twin sticks the goatee on the good twin?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 793