Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 990563 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11640 on: July 11, 2022, 10:19:49 am »

Lots of people are angry at billionaires, but I have noticed as well the growing trend of people being bored with them. Like the notion of sheer disappointment that with all the resources of the world at their fingertips, their imagination is so small, that the only thing they can imagine using their resources for - is the acquisition of slightly more resources

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: July 11, 2022, 10:26:00 am »

In fairness, Musk displays plenty of imagination.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: July 12, 2022, 01:43:14 am »

I'd be impressed at an ex-billionaire.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11643 on: July 12, 2022, 03:30:12 pm »

I'd be impressed at an ex-billionaire.
Well there was this chap who managed to become a multi-billionaire and one of the world's richest men and then lose it all shortly after without anyone ever really noticing

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11644 on: September 11, 2022, 02:41:31 pm »

Election night right now in Sweden, the covert neonazi party (the Sweden Democrats) is looking like it'll end up the second biggest, at >20% of the votes.
"Covert neonazi" meaning the party platform is officially only right-wing populist, racist, and fond of conspiracy theories, but the party leadership joined the party when they still were openly neo-, and they have to rinse out people who go too openly nazi way too often for it to be a coincidence.
Yes, this was not too unexpected, and yes, this might also mean chaos in the newly formed right-conservative block since they've surpassed the traditional right party (the Moderates) who are the other cornerstone in that block. But I still can't help but hate it. Fuck.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: September 11, 2022, 03:25:57 pm »

Noooo, not Sweden too!
It is terrifying.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: September 11, 2022, 04:30:13 pm »

Considering the "ex"-neonazi party is still to the left of every other rightwing party, I don't mind the switch too much.

The Socialdemocrats is up again this year nationally speaking, which is nice, but for them to still be able to make a government they still need the ultra-neoliberal Centreparty (used to be a social liberal centre countryside party that is a historical partner of the Socialdemocrats, but which is now the furthest right party of the rightwing) alongside both the Leftparty and the Environmentparty. That's what the situation has been over the last four years and in practice that has meant 110% neoliberalism and licking the Centreparty's arse.

The Leftparty is down despite having had a huge Nooshi-boom from their new party leader this summer, which is sad news. My vote isn't counted yet as I pre-voted, but even though it is the most important vote* I don't think it can save them.

As of now it looks like it will be a one mandate majority in the Riksdag to the right-wing even without the Centreparty, which is even sadder news.

On a positive note though the newly started islamist populist party "Nuance", though they did very well in the areas where they focused themselves, have completely failed to even make a dent on either the Riksdag or Commune elections. They made a lot of noise earlier this year by spreading rumours about the Swedis authorities kidnapping muslim children and forcibly converting them, so it's very nice to see them so thoroughly rejected.

*Fun fact, I had to go vote three times this year because I forgot my votecard twice. First time I just forgot it on the table, second time I made sure to take it with me to the door but when I got there it was raining outside so I put it down on the chair for two seconds to put on a raincoat and when I was done my mind had completely forgotten the entire concept of votecards and that I need to bring something with me in and I didn't remember until I had parked my car. So I think my vote should actually count as three votes, really, it would just be fair.
Love, scriver~

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: September 11, 2022, 08:24:19 pm »

Election night right now in Sweden, the covert neonazi party (the Sweden Democrats) is looking like it'll end up the second biggest, at >20% of the votes.
"Covert neonazi" meaning the party platform is officially only right-wing populist, racist, and fond of conspiracy theories, but the party leadership joined the party when they still were openly neo-, and they have to rinse out people who go too openly nazi way too often for it to be a coincidence.

The Finnish populists (The Finns Party) are already rejoicing with this news, but hey, some of their party members have (or had) connections to NMR/SMR and other neo-nazis, so no surprise there.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: September 19, 2022, 10:40:38 am »

The Finnish Parliament today passed a "temporary" law that, in practice, enslaves nurses in order to ensure patient safety. The Nay votes came from True Finns (No Yays, one blank), Christian Democrats (No Yays), and the Left Alliance (slightly more Yays than Nays). All others were unanimously in favor, not counting MPs not present.

Instead of being paid a fair wage and offered fair working conditions, nurses are no longer allowed to strike. How convenient that the nurses were planning to do just that; I wonder if Big Medicine is paying off politicians.

Even if the nurses quit, the hospitals et al. will be able to force them under penalty of law to go back to work as a nurse. Police will literally hunt them down and drag them back.

Only loophole out for now, AFAIK, is to relinquish your license and ability to work in the field you spent years training for.

Gee, I wonder why there is a nursing shortage.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: September 19, 2022, 11:03:22 am »

Well, in theory they could drag them back. If they all fucked off, I suspect there'd be too much to actually be able to do anything about it.

Now I understand not wanting patients to be affected, but basically chaining them to their workstations is a really fucking shit thing to do. Maybe, just fucking maybe, the alternative would be to listen to them?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: September 19, 2022, 11:29:55 am »

This is such a stupid thing to do. If nurses are so important that you have to force them to work, maybe pay them what they’re worth so they don’t feel the need to strike, and you can fill a shortage (eventually) with new recruits in a now reasonable paying industry?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: September 19, 2022, 12:18:42 pm »

Doesn't Finland have universal healthcare? Refusing to pay your staff properly sounds like something from an American-style private hospital you'd find here in the states; not out of a country with socialized medicine.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: September 19, 2022, 12:47:00 pm »

Look at the UK, we chronically underpay our medical staff (And it's seriously beginning to bite us in the arse) because a lot of medical staff are doing their overtime and underpaid work because they want to help. A bit like teachers, really. If you can exploit someone's secondary motivations to underpay them, they'll be underpaid.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: September 19, 2022, 01:02:25 pm »

Sweden did this some... ten-twenty years back following a period of protest I believe.

Fucking neo-liberal wolves, man. They have forgotten the face of their fathers.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: September 19, 2022, 07:51:22 pm »

Well I guess now that striking is off limits, them nurses only way of protest is getting their license revoked because of patient neglect.
It is terrifying.

... Then again... How are you going to enforce not striking? The whole idea of strikes is that you say fuck the law, we strike, whatcha gonna do? Fire us all? GLHF and fuck your mother.
I hope all nurses and doctors will start a massive strike (hopefully keeping a barebone staff to keep patients alive).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:59:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 793