Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 987331 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11700 on: January 17, 2023, 03:58:43 am »

So about that electricity huh
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: January 17, 2023, 08:51:06 am »

Article 1 of the Dutch Constitution has been changed. After already having passed parliament twice, and senate once, the senate voted again today, and the change to Constitution was ratified with 52 in favour and 15 against. (A change to our Constitution requires that two consecutive parliaments and two consecutive senates vote in favour with at least 2/3ds majority).

It used to be
Any person staying in the Netherlands will be treated equally in equal circumstances. Discrimination on a basis of religion, philosophy of life, political affiliation, race, gender, or whatever other basis, is not allowed.

It will be
Any person staying in the Netherlands will be treated equally in equal circumstances. Discrimination on a basis of religion, philosophy of life, political affiliation, race, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or whatever other basis, is not allowed.

With this, the rights of LGBTQ+ and people with disability are more firmly confirmed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 08:55:01 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: January 17, 2023, 10:54:16 am »

How does "whatever other basis" work?

If the law grants privileges or imposes burdens on only a select few as determined by law, isn't that discrimination? Wouldn't high-income earners then be taxed the same as low income earners? "Equally in equal circumstances" will only ensure that you won't treated differently from others that are placed in the same box as you (same race, same sex, same income, etc.). The discrimination clause in Article 1 is necessary to prevent the government from creating these boxes, and "whatever other basis" includes any box created by statute. Only boxes created by the constitution, unless implicitly repealed by amendment, would survive an Article 1 challenge.

A functional government would therefore probably need judicial magic, as I doubt the Dutch constitution is extensive enough to cover every basis. Even a catch-all "necessity" clause would still be ripe for judicial magic abuse, as there probably isn't a metric to measure the "necessity".
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: January 17, 2023, 11:51:11 am »

Well, there's the 'Algemene Wet Gelijke Behandeling'  (common law for equal treatment), which further specifies the 'whatever other basis', and our criminal law, article 137 contains guidelines on how to penalize discrimination.
It is mostly a catch all for unfair grounds of discimination not specifically mentioned.

The equal in equal cases means that, for example, you cannot pay a different wage to men or women who do the same, or very similar work.
It does not disallow justified discrimination, like only hiring someone to be a doctor who has actually gone to med school (thereby discriminating people who did not go to med school).

Must be noted that the Dutch laws cannot be directly tested to the Constitution once they have been passed. Our Constitution is a guideline for judges and politicians, to use as a basis for passing judgement and making new laws.
It is one of the Senate's tasks to look at new legislation and see if it is in accordance with the Constitution.
And then it is a judge's task to look at the laws and see if jurisprudence is needed in cases where in practical application, new laws have friction with the Constitution.

You cannot go to court saying 'Somebody broke art. 1 of the constitution, I will sue'.
Instead you file discrimination charges, and a judge will look at the appropriate articles in the corresponding field of law (criminal law, administrative law, civil law) to pass judgement.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:15:38 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11704 on: January 17, 2023, 06:20:34 pm »

Gingers, short, tall, people with eating disorders?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: January 17, 2023, 06:34:23 pm »

Those all fall under disability hohohoho.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11706 on: January 17, 2023, 08:38:38 pm »

Those all fall under disability hohohoho.
You've made an enemy of Scotsmen! Just like the Scots and the English, or the Scots and the Welsh, or Scots and the Japanese, or Scots and other Scots!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: January 17, 2023, 09:34:44 pm »

You Scots sure are a contentious people.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: January 17, 2023, 10:49:21 pm »

What’s wrong with having a wee moan that gets out of hand every so often?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: January 18, 2023, 05:03:35 am »

You could have all of those traits (bar one) in a single person.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11710 on: January 18, 2023, 08:10:30 am »

One short leg, one tall leg, prone to over-eating and starving yourself, and ginger who's also partially balding

Moaning in public is like shaking at a urinal, a few times is acceptable, occasionally necessary, but past a certain threshold it becomes taboooooooooooo

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: January 18, 2023, 02:44:50 pm »

One short leg, one tall leg, prone to over-eating and starving yourself, and ginger who's also partially balding

Moaning in public is like shaking at a urinal, a few times is acceptable, occasionally necessary, but past a certain threshold it becomes taboooooooooooo

OoooaaaaoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH makes sense.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: January 18, 2023, 05:31:40 pm »

I have hit a hiatus in my knowledge of the english language.
What does 'shaking at a urinal' mean?

Does this mean you hit the physcial urinal building until it's chemical contents spill over the street, or does this mean you are shaking your dick in such a way that your dick rain hits your urinal neihgbors?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: January 18, 2023, 05:52:18 pm »

I have hit a hiatus in my knowledge of the english language.
What does 'shaking at a urinal' mean?

Does this mean you hit the physcial urinal building until it's chemical contents spill over the street, or does this mean you are shaking your dick in such a way that your dick rain hits your urinal neihgbors?

Urinal etiquette in the American and somewhat in the British communities is that after you finish urinating you shake your dick (vertically usually) to get the last drops off to avoid any marks on your clothes, but no more than twice. Three or more times is considered to be impolite as it's considered borderline masturbation.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: January 18, 2023, 06:52:28 pm »

I pity those societies that are so afraid of taboo that they actually keep track of the number of dick wiggles at a urinal.

O tempora o mores
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 07:08:15 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 793