Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "With a band so large..."  (Read 4004 times)

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
"With a band so large..."
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:24:43 pm »

So this is my first time playing an adventurer since 34.11, and I seem to be having trouble increasing my reputation. I've killed about two-dozen goblins by now, which should have given me the reputation required to recruit more than two companions at a time. Yet, no matter how much I boast of my violent acts, or discuss incidents in which I slew various gobbos, no one wants to join me. The wiki doesn't seem to have any answers either, at least not the pages I was reading.

Am I missing something here? What needs to be done in the current version to increase your reputation and gather more troops?

As an aside, the new poetry/music/storytelling stuff is pretty cool. I'm excited to spread the arts across my universe as a travelling warrior-bard.
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: "With a band so large..."
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:41:24 pm »

That limitation is probably like that because the world is much less dangerous in current version than it was in 34.11,  by example you can destroy whole bandit lairs by yourself now without needing to have a very experienced adventurer.

Some people have mentionned you can recruit a lot more followers as a "troupe" instead of recruiting them by asking to join, maybe try that.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:49:23 pm »

Nope, I've had TONS of followers without needing to dance.

Kill more significant monsters.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

August

• Bay Watcher
  • "No, Urist. You are the Goblins."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:58:54 pm »

That limitation is probably like that because the world is much less dangerous in current version than it was in 34.11,  by example you can destroy whole bandit lairs by yourself now without needing to have a very experienced adventurer.

Some people have mentionned you can recruit a lot more followers as a "troupe" instead of recruiting them by asking to join, maybe try that.
Ah, I see.
So I'm spreading the news correctly, it's simply a matter of me needing to step it up? I'll try that troupe idea next, thanks.

Nope, I've had TONS of followers without needing to dance.

Kill more significant monsters.
Well, there was a marsh titan reported to be lurking in some swamps about a days' travel away from me...

EDIT: asking people to join me as an entertainer seems to be working pretty well, thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:23:43 pm by August »
Welcome to the forums, August!
Please leave your sanity on the coat hanger to your left.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:21 pm »

due note they will break off from following you if you don't keep performing
and retiring might end up with them leaving you so it's more temp work than the full on will die for you adventurer ask.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:40:08 pm »

Also, which goblins have you been killing?
Invading the dark pits is fine, but if you're just killing your random green neighbours, you won't get anything but a reputation as a killer.

Bandits are also a bit iffy and you'd probably have to wait until 42.05 for their reputation boosts to work.

Killing titans and night trolls and rescuing children is good for reputation.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 09:23:48 pm »

Also, which goblins have you been killing?
Invading the dark pits is fine, but if you're just killing your random green neighbours, you won't get anything but a reputation as a killer.

Bandits are also a bit iffy and you'd probably have to wait until 42.05 for their reputation boosts to work.

Killing titans and night trolls and rescuing children is good for reputation.

I don't know all the details, but the reputation system is currently bugged. Toady just posted a slew of tweaks/fixes for this in next version.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 09:28:18 pm »

Very interesting, finally bandits will get some part of fixes
It's going okay so far. There's a more specific reputation for defending settlements from outlaws, and new hearth orders for fighting off outlaws, clearing out bandit camps and fighting nearby beasts. Nothing interesting or dynamic or gray there, but at least you can be credited now for things we already had. Bandits behave a bit more sensibly when you fight them off -- they won't perpetually go back to the town over and over, either as a single army or as new groups from the camp. I'm going to do a bit more with this, and then I'll fix some more bugs before the next release.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 10:20:13 am »

If I read Toady's update correctly, the reputation gain from killing bandits is only for hearthpeople. So I assume regular schmos will still get the deadpan reaction.

Honestly I just wish the bandits would be more hostile. Currently I can kick one of their squadmates' head off and butcher and eat him in front of them, then trade them his prepared brain.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 10:24:36 am »

Honestly I just wish the bandits would be more hostile. Currently I can kick one of their squadmates' head off and butcher and eat him in front of them, then trade them his prepared brain.
I think it's sensible of them to keep an open mind toward a potential future leader, namely me. Unfortunately the ones who display the uncommon loyalty to defend their chief can't be recruited.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 11:01:33 am »

this my first attempt at making a comment  :)!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »

If I read Toady's update correctly, the reputation gain from killing bandits is only for hearthpeople. So I assume regular schmos will still get the deadpan reaction.
It's two separate things:
1) Specific reputation - people will acknowledge your bandit fighting
2) Orders from hearths. Enjoy these times of peace, and go kill some bandits please.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 06:58:56 pm »

Anything that would contribute into those NPC (that told you about bandits making their life miserable and bulliying them to no end) to have something else to say that "it was inevitable" or "murderer !" when you report to them they're now saved from the threat, would be a fantastic improvement.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 07:42:12 pm »

I wish my character would get Enraged from hearing "It was inevitable."

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:01 pm »

I wish my companions would stop spreading rumors about Beasts... beasts that they not only personally witnessed dying, but also personally struck down.

Speaking of, why is it that people can bring up a fuss about Beasts and other things causing trouble in the world, but when i ask them about it, they bring up explicit details about how I murderized it 3 weeks ago. Most Lord/Lady/royalty/etc npcs are smart enough to remove completed troubles from their vocabulary, but it always annoys me that i keep seeing random npcs spouting off about how the Mega-whatever that's been dead for awhile now (and that they know is dead) is plaguing their land and bringing ruin upon the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3