Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "With a band so large..."  (Read 4035 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: "With a band so large..."
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 05:05:02 pm »

If I read Toady's update correctly, the reputation gain from killing bandits is only for hearthpeople. So I assume regular schmos will still get the deadpan reaction.

Honestly I just wish the bandits would be more hostile. Currently I can kick one of their squadmates' head off and butcher and eat him in front of them, then trade them his prepared brain.

in version 42 bandits are much more hostile (for the most part) And hearths defend their lords now as-well , it works okay now , you can join the bandits you know. (Talk to the leader and ask to become  a lieutenant), in my experience (maybe im just lucky) as long as you arent sneaking and you attack, they will attack back. (with massive force), I turned an entire faction against me when i tried to take over the city, all hearth people of the lord tried to kill me on sight.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:13:49 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 05:06:54 pm »

I wish my character would get Enraged from hearing "It was inevitable."

it was inevitable is a default reaction, you will note you still get the reputation even if they say that.
kill a beast, "it was inevitable" five seconds later, "you are  a legendary hero"
I am an indie game dev!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »

it was inevitable is a default reaction, you will note you still get the reputation even if they say that.
kill a beast, "it was inevitable" five seconds later, "you are  a legendary hero"
It's still annoying as shit! After reading this stock response often enough, I get angry irl, and I think my character has a higher anger propensity than me (I hope.) After saying that, I don't care what they think about me, I want to give them a whiplash-inducing smack across the jowls.

The rumor system is so cumbersome that I avoid using it anyway, it's better to tell them a tale so riveting that they experience what I've gone through. As near as they can, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:46:41 pm by Uzu Bash »

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 10:19:30 pm »

It's not that annoying.

The reputation system is fine, the stock reply is a WIP and is intentional for the time being.

The NPCs talking about long dead megabeasts may be a bug, but I have a (probably wrong) theory, perhaps the general knowledge of its death has to be high enough before people stop talking about it? You have to remember megabeasts are monsters of great fame and people have always feared it, it may take a bit of time before everyone knows it is dead and gone?
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »

1) Are you sure the people talking about the dead beast know it's dead?

2) Have you slept/written poetry/left site and come back since telling them about it? I find this sometimes helps jumpstart the reputation/rumours mechanic.

3) Have you tried shutting down and restarting Dwarf Fortress? There's a bug report about weird rumours which the reporter solved that way (not the same as this case, but sometimes data is odd like that).

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 10:56:25 pm »

It's not that annoying.

The reputation system is fine, the stock reply is a WIP and is intentional for the time being.

The NPCs talking about long dead megabeasts may be a bug, but I have a (probably wrong) theory, perhaps the general knowledge of its death has to be high enough before people stop talking about it? You have to remember megabeasts are monsters of great fame and people have always feared it, it may take a bit of time before everyone knows it is dead and gone?
I think it's actually just the way rumors are handled.
They have a collection of rumors drawn from legends mode that they can talk about when the need arises, potentially weighted so you hear more about the dragon who's been eating their babies than the kea who stole a bone amulet. These rumors are likely written with a template similar to "The citizens of <site_name_str_1> have been troubled by <char_name_str_1>, a <creature_caste_name>, who resides in <site_name_str_2>. Every day we live in fear of $possessivepronoun horrible return!" So when they decide to talk about a rumor, it picks one of those templates at random (albeit likely with some weighting so it's an important event) and then the game just grabs a somewhat recent event from Legends that people from their site ought to know about and fills in the string. Because it's done this way, when Urist the Peasant complains about how Gizord the Blackmusings has been terrorizing his people he never pauses to make the connection that Gizord the Blackmusings is the subject of another rumor saying that he was killed by the legendary swordsman who Urist is speaking to right now.
In fact, he doesn't even know who Gizord the Blackmusings is -- even though they've fought in the past. If he runs into Gizord the Blackmusings again the game will check to see if they've met and then have him say something like "You are <char_name_str_1>. You are a $reputation."

It might not even be possible to remove the "Gizord the Blackmusings is terrorizing us!" rumor from circulation, because doing so might actually require removing it from legends wholesale and thereby erasing the knowledge that Gizord did anything other than get killed by an adventurer.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 12:20:34 am »

It's not that annoying.

I think it's actually just the way rumors are handled.
They have a collection of rumors drawn from legends mode that they can talk about when the need arises, potentially weighted so you hear more about the dragon who's been eating their babies than the kea who stole a bone amulet. These rumors are likely written with a template similar to "The citizens of <site_name_str_1> have been troubled by <char_name_str_1>, a <creature_caste_name>, who resides in <site_name_str_2>. Every day we live in fear of $possessivepronoun horrible return!" So when they decide to talk about a rumor, it picks one of those templates at random (albeit likely with some weighting so it's an important event) and then the game just grabs a somewhat recent event from Legends that people from their site ought to know about and fills in the string. Because it's done this way, when Urist the Peasant complains about how Gizord the Blackmusings has been terrorizing his people he never pauses to make the connection that Gizord the Blackmusings is the subject of another rumor saying that he was killed by the legendary swordsman who Urist is speaking to right now.
In fact, he doesn't even know who Gizord the Blackmusings is -- even though they've fought in the past. If he runs into Gizord the Blackmusings again the game will check to see if they've met and then have him say something like "You are <char_name_str_1>. You are a $reputation."

It might not even be possible to remove the "Gizord the Blackmusings is terrorizing us!" rumor from circulation, because doing so might actually require removing it from legends wholesale and thereby erasing the knowledge that Gizord did anything other than get killed by an adventurer.

Interesting explanation, but it IS a bit more concise then that. Rumors actually spread (and the propagation is rather abstract, for example, you can kill witnesses of a crime and if they die before telling anyone about it  (or being offloaded), people wont know it happened unless they either see the body or you tell them (since you killed the witnesses ) SO rumor spread is in fact tracked.

So you can hide your crimes, and therefore prevent the negative reputation.

This is the same if you do something good, if no one survived to see it happen, that rumor wont spread unless you talk about it, and therefore your rep remains unchanged.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:23:34 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 10:49:53 am »

To answer OP's original question... goblins aren't important enough. You could kill billions.

Instead do this:

1. Find a megabeast that does not shoot webs or dragonfire.
1a. Find its lair after asking for directions or troubles, go sneaking and get visual contact on the beast (titan, bronze colossus, roc, etc). Then you can Look at it and press V to see the description. The last sentence will tell you what to be beware of. If it shoots webs or breathes fire, you are NOT PREPARED. Rocs can be pretty tough too, unless you are legendary dodger. Random titans without shooty web stuff are probably easiest to kill, depending on what materials they are made from.
2. Kill said beast. Make sure you get the killing blow. You may have to ask your companions to wait and engage it in single combat where they don't see it.
3. From here on out, use the rumor menu to let the world know about your deed. Remember the page, use page down to scroll to it, and let the person you want to recruit know you've done it. Filtering can also work to help you find the incident.
4. If the beast was important enough, your band can be much larger now. If not, repeat from step 1. You will know because the text will change to something far more excited. People will be a lot more enthusiastic about joining you than the 'glory and death' line.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 11:44:47 am »

Interesting theory, I actually generated a world (Heavily modded raws, though.) That went through Myth > Legends > Heros > Civilization, and I can't get anyone to "give" me the rumor that dragons and such used to exist, so perhaps rumors are drawn in depending on the year that you're in.

For example,
Year 100, people will only have rumors that come from the past year or two? More research on rumors is definitely needed.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 04:12:18 pm »

The longest adventurer world I played was about 10 years and I still got people asking about the cyclops we originally had in a cage back at the fort (which got killed by me when I took control of my duke) and stuff about a dragon that was one of my first big kills like 6 or 7 years ago.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:23 pm »

I presaume you used "spread rumor" to let people know you killed the beasts? Bragging does not work.
I am an indie game dev!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:55 am »

Bragging does not do anything worth messing with in my experience, specific rumor spreading is always going to be better, yeah.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 02:42:34 am »

Bragging intimidates much more than reputation alone, though it doesn't use or increase intimidation skill. If you want a group to pay tribute to yours, this and physical threat will do it. A rare few times I've even gotten someone to offer their group leadership to me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 04:33:32 pm »

O rly, I never tried that, usually when I'm trying to intimidate someone I'm holding their friend up by a broken wrist and the weapon from their other friend who is currently flying towards a cliff.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »

O rly, I never tried that, usually when I'm trying to intimidate someone I'm holding their friend up by a broken wrist and the weapon from their other friend who is currently flying towards a cliff.

Huzzah, new update makes things better.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and more incoming.

Also I had no idea that bragging worked as "intimidation"
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 [2] 3