Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bards are offering to entertain our citizens! How should they do this?

Singing and dancing and other peaceful forms of- pfffhahahah
- 4 (15.4%)
Ablative meat armour
- 1 (3.8%)
Arena fights against wildlife
- 5 (19.2%)
Arena fights against each other
- 3 (11.5%)
Arena fights against troll wereelks
- 12 (46.2%)
Something else...
- 1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Thunderdoom - A Succession Goblin Camp [42.05]  (Read 39454 times)

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
Re: A Succession Goblin Camp [42.04] - Planning Stage
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 04:12:58 pm »

I'd like to get a turn full of torture and unspeakable cruelties.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:25 pm »

Ptw.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »

Well we could just use the honor system to only impale whole corpses.
We'll have to. It's just annoying, 'cause  it can mean scrolling through dozens of pages of "stray beak dog cartilage" and "stray troll fur" in order to reach the mangled skunk corpse you're trying to nail to the wall.

How about engrave / encrust a skull and impale it? Would that be possible?
Well, I can make skull totems buildable, that should give us the ability to... uh.. build skull totems. So I'll add that.

Leather and meat blocks are working, as are bone bars. You get approximately 3 bone bars, 3 meat blocks and 6 leather tent blocks from a single beak dog, so they're not cheap. If you want to build a meat-based megastructure, it's going to take a lot of death.

If you buy leather off of the caravan, leather tents are well within the realm of possibility (although wood shacks will always be easier to build). You can also make leather bedrolls, just in case you want to sleep on the skins of your enemies.

And, can confirm: goblins can butcher sentients (specifically, trolls).

Speaking of, trolls are actually a really interesting feature. Tame trolls will store stuff in stockpiles (and, being so strong, they are great at hauling stone) and bring water to the wounded and jailed. They can also be added to the military, but only if there's a commanding goblin. And they can wield large weapons that your goblins can't, like great axes and two handed swords (and yes, goblins can make those).

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »

I want to be trolled!

Wait, that doesn't sound right....

Still, I would like the biggest, strongest Troll you got. And I want to wield a silver maul. If thats possible.

Shûl-nak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:34 pm »

Sorry to be a wet blanket Qu, but I asked for a turn/goblining and I can't see my name in the OP lists. I can only assume I either gravely offended you somehow, you missed my message, or you somehow FORGOT to add the COOLEST BAY12ER onto your lists. Whatever the case, I just want you to know it's very difficult to type a forum post through walls of tears.

Just kidding. I would still like a turn though.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 09:50:32 pm »

I found another change I want to make to the mod: adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags to a variety of evil and subterranian creatures to guarantee we can trade the goblin caravan for them.

Since almost all the goblin animals are far more impressive than llama's and pigs, I may also have to amp up their pet values to make them cost a reasonable amount at trade time. I may even make some of them shearable/milkable...

I think I'll keep which ones I mess with a secret, but they should certainly add to the fun.

I want to be trolled!
Must... resist... urge... to make... terrible joke...

Sorry to be a wet blanket Qu, but I asked for a turn/goblining and I can't see my name in the OP lists.
Apologies. The OP lists are on a 13.88 hour delay so I can send the data to Pluto to be verified by the commanders of the invasion fle-

Uh, I mean, so I can spell-check it.

I have a very slow spell checker.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 02:21:24 am »

If your adding in blind cave ogres, I'd like to be one instead.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:29 am »

Also, can furniture can be made out of bones or those bone bars? Will those bone bars and meat blocks retain the name of the creature they were made of - are they just 'bone bars' or 'dwarf bone bars'? Because dwarf bone thrones are important for a well-functioning goblin fortress.

Can you mass pit sentients? Because in current version you can't really do that as dorfs, because of, well, all that multiculti stuff happening now in fortresses.

And please don't forget to add me to the turn list!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 03:44:02 am »

I'll be embarking with two ordinary trolls: everything else will need to be bought from the caravan, and I've upped their pet value, so we'll have to pay a premium.

I just realised I have no idea if I can customize a troll's names (might be a DFHack job)

Also, can furniture can be made out of bones or those bone bars?
Not yet, but that's a good idea.

Will those bone bars and meat blocks retain the name of the creature they were made of - are they just 'bone bars' or 'dwarf bone bars'? Because dwarf bone thrones are important for a well-functioning goblin fortress.
The bars show up as "Beak dog bone", which becomes "Beak dog bone wall" or "Beak dog bone Vertical Bars".

And I can do you one better for the meat blocks: they depend on what type of meat goes into their construction, so you can get "Beak dog muscle" "Beak dog nervous tissue" "Beak dog brain"...

Can you mass pit sentients?

No idea, have never tried.

Sinurtumwist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 04:49:45 am »

Do you want the others to have a copy of the modded version, so we can try some things out? Or is everyone thrown in the cold water? :D

Also: Build like a goblin.
It's gonna be so AWESOME!

Oh and another question, since i am fairly new to succession games (but dont worry i am dorfing a lot since 2009)
"A standard two-week, one-year succession game" so that means everyone gets the save for two weeks and has to stop playing after 1 year has passed?

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 12:26:15 pm »

I'll be embarking with two ordinary trolls: everything else will need to be bought from the caravan, and I've upped their pet value, so we'll have to pay a premium.

I just realised I have no idea if I can customize a troll's names (might be a DFHack job)

[quote autho

I sure hope you can. I'm terrified of  being butchered. And I don't much care for the idea of being sheared :p

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 12:39:58 pm »

Oh and another question, since i am fairly new to succession games (but dont worry i am dorfing a lot since 2009)
"A standard two-week, one-year succession game" so that means everyone gets the save for two weeks and has to stop playing after 1 year has passed?

The two-week is an optimal time limit / goal to complete one's turn which includes playing, and writing. 

The one-year succession game is the duration for the game's fortress calendar.  So the usual spring, summer, autumn reports with winter a a wind down and tidying up from whatever project.

But I think for the most part, the two-week limit is to prevent the game from stagnating and sinking below the first page.  Some don't mind time extension when there are efforts and progress for the succession game.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:20 pm »

I sure hope you can. I'm terrified of  being butchered. And I don't much care for the idea of being sheared :p

Okay, but how do you feel about being milked?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:47:26 pm by QuQuasar »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 10:02:50 pm »

Still playing around with the mod, but it's coming together. It should definitely be ready for an embark soon. And the LNP has been upgraded to 42.04! Just in time: many thanks to PeridexisErrant.

As far as goblin domestic animals go: if it's got hair it's shearable, and if it's a mammal it's milkable. This is exactly as gross as it sounds.

Well alright, slightly less gross than that because I'm making an exception for trolls. But still pretty gross. Giant rat cheese, anyone?

Bone furniture is now a thing: I've added most stuff including doors, thrones, tables, weapon racks and armour stands. They all use bone bars in their construction. Notable things I decided not to include are boxes, cabinets, beds or statues.

I've also added:

* skull goblets - made from totems
* meat statues
* bone large daggers

Sinurtumwist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 02:34:31 am »

I've also added:

* skull goblets - made from totems
* meat statues