Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Caravan !!Wagons!! ??  (Read 2017 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Human Caravan !!Wagons!! ??
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:53 am »

I've noticed something rather odd when the human's Wagons stop...  there's a large burst of smoke every time.

In my current Trade Depot it's not really an issue.  A wagon stops, a cloud of smoke issues forth then starts to evaporate just as the next wagon pulls in and starts another cloud of smoke.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  I tell myself it's just their brakes overheating as my Depot is at the bottom of a loooong series of ramps.

But I know it's not actually that.  The dwarven wagons never do it, only the human ones.

Before I built the underground Depot I had a temp one on the surface and these human wagons were actually starting serious bush fires in the surrounding country every time they pulled in.

I've checked all of the merchants and their personal inventories, the individual wagons & their loads, also the accompanying guards and their inventories.  I've checked the Depot itself and the trade goods I've hauled up in preparation and even my individual haulers..  So far I can't find anything on fire...  just the bursts of smoke.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Caravan !!Wagons!! ??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:45:55 am »

Might be worth bug reporting and posting a save. I did read somewhere about magma being a tradeable good for some civilisations.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:29 am »

Something similar was mentioned recently, and if I recall correctly, some trade goods brought by the caravan had a flame point lower than the surface temperature. You may want to search this and the game play questions forum for that thread, or wait for someone with a better memory than mine.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:36:46 am »

Try checking their contents immediately after they arrive on the map, and then again a few ticks later, comparing the lists - you might see something catch fire and/or disappear, because it is flammable at the surface temperature.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:52:39 am »

And then there also was this report of elves bringing bags of magma. Could you check your next flaming caravan, see if it holds bags of magma?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »

You see, the dwarves are simply better engineers, so their wagons have disc brakes, while the human wagons are still using drum brakes. That's why they overheat every time they stop.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:20 am »

So far, no luck spotting the cause.  I've only had one other caravan since...  FPS issues.  (It's time to go on a cat cull and see if I can speed things up a bit so I can arrange for a spring-clean of my non-resident quarters.)

The magma/temp differential thing was my first thought too and I have been checking each wagon load both before they enter the fort and after they stop at the depot.

Of course, it doesn't mean this isn't the explanation... maybe just that I haven't looked in the right place at the right time.

The hunt continues.

FWIW, I've BU'd a save just before a caravan in case I do file it as a bug.  As I haven't heard of anyone else with the same problem I'll procrastinate about reporting it as such a while longer.   
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 04:39:52 am »

If you pursue the caravan contents approach you can also use your stocks screen as that one, annoyingly enough, doesn't list caravan items as separated from your own.