Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289]

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 268217 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4320 on: October 05, 2019, 12:20:40 am »

Last night a friend (let's call him K) invited me and a few other friends to go with him somewhere.
We didn't ask too many questions (we were on holiday) and piled into a van with him and set off. We traveled through a semi-rural mountain range and reached our destination - this old-looking, moss-covered stone structure, like some kinda temple or fort. Apparently it had been converted into a base for insurgents of some kind, and all of a sudden K had us suiting up, arming ourselves with an arsenal that had apparently been in the van this whole time and following his lead to infiltrate the place.

Our stealthy infiltration had... various levels of success, but bottom line is we made it inside and were able to paint accurate coordinates to call in an airstrike on the base. There was actually a large courtyard inside the structure, in which were various (also very old) buildings built out of wood and decorated in an intriguing traditional fashion. I'm not sure if they'd been a market or what, but now they became the scene of various running gun-battles.
Anyway, we fought/fled our way back outside, miraculously without having lost anyone. As we neared the exit, at one point I stopped in this spot where I could see into one of the main corridors leading outside through this screen of foliage, which looked kinda like Old Man's Beard or whatever it's called (you know, that weird dry dangly stuff that grows on certain trees in certain climates?).
From this position I was able to not only cover the others, but gun down three hostiles at close range as they came sprinting down the hall after us.

After we were out and scrambling into the van, somebody radioed whoever we were working for with the co-ords and almost at once an aircraft shot by overhead and a single bomb came down, slamming into the compound with devastating and spectacular effect. The ancient, moss-choked masonry crumbled in parts, and when the dust cleared I realised I could see the wooden structures inside still standing. I pointed this out, thinking it was a problem, but according to K our aim was to destroy the rest of the complex without also destroying those, ostensibly since they had some great historical or spiritual value - and weren't of much use to the enemy, anyway.

We sped off, exhilarated with victory. Chattering excitedly, I asked (somewhat belatedly) if we were, in fact, getting paid for what we'd just done and K said yes, we were heading back to receive our pay now. I was pretty stoked about that, since it meant that we were literally now mercenaries! How badass.
As we made our way back down the mountain range excitement died down a little, though the group was still in a great mood. We passed a little cluster of ramshackle stores and my eagle-eyed gaze spied what appeared to be some VHS tapes! We stopped the van and got out, unarmed and peaceful this time, to investigate.

We wandered into this little open-air store and I went straight for one of these wire baskets where I'd spotted the "tape". To my disappointment, it turned out to actually just be the artwork from the VHS version of some obscure foreign film printed on an abnormally large, strangely square DVD case. I flipped through a stack of different DVDs and it was the same story, no actual tapes to be found. Damn.

Oh well, we still enjoyed ourselves perusing this weird little mountainside shop and its selection of films, wares, snacks and pop culture-shock. As we lingered around a bit longer I spotted someone kinda familiar enter the store. "Is that Christopher Walken?" I thought to myself.
As it turned out, yes it was. Not sure what he was doing in that neck of the woods since I was either too shy to ask or didn't think to, but he did chat briefly with our group and seemed like as awesome a dude as you'd expect. Then a bit later he was attempting to buy a bulk amount of the weird films on offer (it was like, 30 films for $30 or something, I guess it was a special deal aimed at tourists spending dollars) but to the consternation of the shopkeeper he had a 31st film that he also wanted to chuck in, whilst still only paying the $30.

This shopkeeper was not having any of his attempts to haggle. There was a bit of confusion for a while, and to my dismay I didn't have any money with me that I coulda loaned him (this 'mercenary blowing shit up and getting paid' business was great for more reasons than one - such as, I was broke). He didn't have any more foreign dollars with him, either, and I don't think any of us had much in the way of whatever the local currency was. So, that was a bit disappointing.
We all left, I think Mr. Walken said his goodbyes and went to get more cash out or something (or perhaps he just bought the 30 films and called it a day? Can't remember) whilst the rest of us strolled towards the van, passing a variety of intriguing shops and restaurants way out here on this dreary, drizzly mountaintop. Pretty sure the ground was unpaved, too, just dirt and gravel.

At that point I spotted something rather unpleasant, though perhaps not too surprising in a little village such as this. Up ahead of us there was a dog going about its business, fairly cute apart from the horrible, ragged growth of unspecified skin hanging from some point on its hindquarters. As I watched, to my horror, the doggo casually reached back, took this flap of flesh in its mouth and gave it a thorough, evidently rather satisfying gnawing. Eurrhghghghhhhh.
I was thoroughly disgusted and went to point this out to the friend I was walking with (let's call him G). Pretty sure he'd already seen it as well but we had a good, gross-out laugh about the spectacle. "Oooh," G said, assuming a gruff, comical voice for the dog, "that's right, I left somethin' tasty in muh back pocket there, mmmmmmnomnomnom."

Laughing, we made it back to the van with the rest of the group (me making vague, easily-forgotten plans to come back and browse that DVD selection more thoroughly when I had money in my pockets), everyone got in and we set off, back down the mountain to get paid, and at some point I woke up.   

Tl;dr: a friend tricked me and a bunch of other friends into joining him on a military op to infiltrate and destroy some insurgent base and a good time was had by all, oh and on the way back we met Christopher Walken in a stall selling bootleg DVDs.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: October 06, 2019, 10:24:41 am »

I was having some horrible dream about being stuck in basically a high school doing a test that didn't make any sense. Like, it was part English test, part history, part calculus, and I of course didn't study for shit so I guessed at random on the advanced math portions. The teacher just said something along the lines of she's not giving me credit for any of it. Then this other kid starts pushing me around while I'm trying to pack my bags for lunch period. He pissed me off so much I tried to punch him. I ended up punching my window sill edge on. Hurts like a son of a bitch, but I'm awake now.
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: October 06, 2019, 02:47:39 pm »

A friend had a baby that was just a tiny fetus-like thing crawling around on its own. Nobody considered this unusual. I had to babysit it, and deal with pieces permanently falling off at the slightest jostle.
My mods.
Minimalism and Milk:I,II,III.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: October 07, 2019, 08:51:32 am »

I dreamed I was Megaman, who was trying to liberate a hotel that Dr. Wily had conquered.  While that sounds like some sort of bizarre Hotel Mario Megaman, it didn't have that feel while I was experiencing it, and was more of a first person shooter since I was Megaman.  I had to make the pew noises myself every time I fired my buster or it wouldn't work.

I never did figure out what was going on exactly, and I don't think I ever encountered Dr. Wily.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: October 08, 2019, 11:42:56 pm »

Broken sleep and too many dreams to recall, but I know at the end of one I was walking back from someplace and saw what at first appeared to be a limo-combi (which was actually a friggin' awesome idea) speeding along down the road, then as I watched it I realised it was actually a series of combi-shaped horse float-looking things, connected together as segments of the same vehicle. Actually, it might have been two vehicles.
Anyway, then the whole thing seemingly couldn't handle the speed it was at and started spinning wildly out of control, like a pair of giant vehicular nunchaku. I watched, awestruck, as it flailed along this large road, somehow not hitting anything, until one 'carriage' tipped over, spilling its contents across the road and taking the rest of that section down with it, then the other half, which had veered over into the oncoming lanes (apparently this dream was set in America, or somewhere else where folks drive on the wrong side of the road), crashed viscerally into some unfortunate vehicle. Much chaos was had. Then I think I either woke up or went back to whatever I'd been doing in the dream beforehand.   

At some point, actually it may have been immediately before I found myself observing the above scene, I'd befriended this couple and was hanging out in their place where they lived with a bunch of other folks. I'd stayed there for a while, for some reason (there'd been a lot going on in the dream earlier that I can't remember), until it occurred to me that I was probably overstaying my welcome and/or cramping their style despite how chill they were, and I become anxious to leave.
Could always visit them again, after all.
I quickly got my stuff together and put my shoes on before saying some goodbyes (I might have said I'd be back later after getting some stuff done) and left. It was only once I was outside on the road that I realised I was wearing slippers instead of my shoes. After some hesitation (I think I considered my chances of making it through the rest of the dream without proper shoes) I turned to walk back to the house - and then, I believe, was when I saw the combi-zine  speeding along.

There was another dream, the one right before I finally woke up, but I don't really remember shit except it was long and quite dramatic. There was this close-knit group of family (and possibly friends) undergoing various trials and tribulations. May or may not have included people from the earlier dream, can't say for sure.
There was a lot of weird, probably fascinating stuff that I sadly don't remember well enough to describe, but I believe it ended with one member of the group, who'd lost his arm somewhere along the way, accidentally blowing up/electrocuting himself, his wife and another person who'd been helping them in their efforts to reattach/heal his arm.
I think they'd even kidnapped someone and chopped off their arm as a replacement?! I don't know, maybe they just considered it which is crazy enough.

I think the dream was following some other character when they received the news about those three dying, at which point they went "well WTF happened?!" and the dream went into a flashback, but at the same time the flashback still seemed to be malleable, like events weren't set in stone.
Not sure how things were looking when I finally woke up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: October 09, 2019, 12:33:15 pm »

(apparently this dream was set in America, or somewhere else where folks drive on the wrong side of the road)
Fun fact: 69% of countries drive on the right

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: October 10, 2019, 05:35:37 am »

It was Fallout 4 but a multiplayer scavenging-race... so sorta Fallout 76 which I've only seen in lore videos?  Thing is it was mixed with From The Depths, in that this area of the course was ocean or bay.  Normally games about drowning freak me out a bit, but this was some game-ified like Fallout 4 that I didn't feel any danger.

Like, even though it was immersive (heh) 3D, the "wreck" I was swimming down to had very specific, "hidden"-yet-highlighted airlocks designed to keep players from flooding the wreck.  I cycled into one that seemed particularly hidden, entering a small dry room with a notable-looking generator device.  Before I could get a good look I heard voices further in, sighed and approached - it was my dad and his SO, having lunch and talking plans.

The goal of the scavenging-race was to activate certain consoles for your faction.  I was playing Railroad, he Brotherhood and she Institute, but of course they were working together heh~  I joined them and we chatted a bit, sharing what we'd already explored nearby while pretending to be competitors.  I assumed they'd already claimed this wreck, but turned out the target had eluded them.  I acted casual and left the way I came, back to that generator device, and this time found the switches to activate it for the Railroad.

I was nice enough to go back and tell them, which got me some insincere hostility as I cycled through a particularly immersion-breaking airlock (for such a wrecked ship) and continued the race.

yeah IDK just some wholesome "Fallout 4 but multiplayer and deep water mechanics", that was fun. 

Edit: I had an NPC companion but she wasn't really a character, she was unknowingly a synth and I kinda joked about that with the Institute player in front of, well, it.  Sounds a bit callous but this was *very* obviously a video game.  I was acting semi-IC and talking excitedly about the NPC like a favorite pokemon, and it wasn't coded to join PC conversations.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:40:02 am by Rolan7 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: October 10, 2019, 10:13:08 pm »

Had a fair few different and very strange dreams last night, but I don't remember much of 'em.

One part I do remember was where myself and at least a couple of other people arrived to investigate some spooky old abandoned house that we'd been drawn to somehow throughout the dream. As we were wandering through the different buildings on the property I heard a shrill yelp, and looked over to see our dog (based on my mother's IRL dog) sprinting towards us in a panic. I was terrified that she might have been bitten by a snake way out here in the middle of nowhere.
As it turned out, though, her assailant came pursuing her out of the grass - hot on her tail was a very angry wombat, of all things. It seemed like it planned to take us all on. Luckily I was able to drive it off by hurling a huge copy of War and Peace at it with considerable accuracy.
Why I happened to have that book on my person at the time, I have no idea.
I thought this was amusing so I stopped to try and get a photo of how the book had landed.

Another dream (possibly linked to that one) I was watching some film/show in which the main characters were travelling to investigate some spooky abandoned place, similar to the one in the above dream. I can't remember exactly what their deal was, if they were paranormal investigators or what, but it seemed as though they were filming a sort of documentary (maybe just a home video/video log kinda thing) of their experiences as they traveled.
Also, I believe the place was somehow linked to (a dark chapter of?) their past, like they'd grown up there or something? I don't know, sadly I've forgotten most of it but it was all sinister and fascinating. Pretty sure they'd been drawn there by some sinister, supernatural force, as well.
I do remember that one of them was apparently played by Noel Fielding, and that when they finally arrived and were searching the place, some sort of ghostly creature, probably a manifestation of whoever/whatever had been luring them there, took shape in the room they were in and, before they could react, struck down Noel Fielding's character with a swipe of its claws before vanishing, killing him instantly.
That was the end of the episode/movie/series or whatever, and I remember being keen to see where they'd go with the next one.

There was another dream in which I and someone else were playing some game in which the player sailed around on boats. That's it, that's pretty much all I remember. There was probably more to it, we probably traveled places in said boats (maybe it was even connected to other dreams), but I don't remember.

Finally, there was one other dream, I think it was actually earlier on in the night, where I joined some large, oddly secretive group of people that played some sort of wargame. I was inducted and about to start my first game, with the whole group hanging around watching despite it only having two players or so, when the dream ended.
Oh, and I'd taken up another hobby: making DIY stools (the seat kind). In fact I was sitting on one as I made ready to play, with another one beside me. I wasn't too sure how structurally sound they were, but damn they looked pretty cool.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: October 11, 2019, 09:39:23 pm »

So I slept in this morning, which meant I actually got to wake up slowly for once... which meant I spent maybe a half hour in a state of semi-consciousness. Good for dreaming.

Anyway. I'm in the passenger seat of this red convertible, riding with family, and I see some kind of aircraft overhead. It's big and triangular, sort of like an F-13-- for a moment, I think it is an F-13. Then I see how it moves.

See, this thing doesn't whiz along like a jet. It swoops. It wheels from side to side, up and down, soaring like a kite. As we get closer, I realize two things:

- The aircraft is far closer to the ground than I'd realized
- and it's made almost entirely of pink Styrofoam and packing tape.

It's got these two blue engine-looking things on either side made of some kind of light shiny plastic, four propellers to an engine... but the rest? All Styrofoam.

So. We pull over to the side of the highway, gawping at this uncanny contraption, and it spots us. Suddenly it swoops down, sailing towards us-- I stumble out of the car in a daze-- it lands on top of me, massive thing, size of a trailer truck but light-- and I kid you not, it starts licking my face like an excited puppy. Somehow. With a chrome-plastic tongue.

I shove the Styrofoam dog-plane off me-- it's still wagging its rudder like mad-- and the pilot hops out. Bald guy, big round aviator glasses on his face, short with a fleecy leather jacket over his shoulders. He recognizes us... I've never seen him in my life, but in the dream somehow he was familiar. The pilot invites over to his house, to recover a bit and catch up on things; a "long time no see" kind of deal.

We find ourselves in the pilot's living room. It's a fancy affair-- high in the air, with tremendous plate-glass windows surrounding. We sit ourselves down at the guy's coffee table...

...and so help me, Donald J. Trump walks through the living room door.

I wake.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:47:12 pm by Superdorf »
Come play Mafia with us!
continue attacking deathsigs with our maul
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: October 12, 2019, 08:42:12 am »

I had a dream last night
I was looking at a window and saw a tiny moth with a broken wing. I let it crawl on my thumb, and two large green caterpillars crawled out of it. The moth was smaller than my fingernail but each of the two caterpillars were the size of my entire thumb. I donít remember if the moth survived this or not. The caterpillars took small bites of my skin, so I was about to go outside to search for leaves for them but as I was heading outside I woke up.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Trucker Combat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: Today at 04:34:47 am »

I have recurring dreams where either I have to go back to high school or I am back in high school. I am deh fuck is wrong with me wanting to go back. High school was ok but not something that I think as the good ole days. So here's this weird one of a dream.

It all started out as a friend of mine was begging me to sign up for the choir class even though I am a Senior and they have an abundance of Seniors but not enough under class men to join and figured if there was enough people in it now there would be the middle school kids that are on the fence would join thinking it was a bigger class than it would be for them. So I reluctantly joined and apparently the teacher was out with the main group was traveling through various states for competitions to get college scholarships for the students which ended up with the few of the kids that were late signers just to sit in the classroom with a sub that did not teach any of the material nor helped us with practice. It ended up as sorta of a study hall/ fuck off hour till the main group came back around mid November. The main teacher was annoyed that the sub did nothing with us and had to have a steep learning curve with the new students that was not with the teacher.

As for me, I found out why my friend had head hunted me into the choir class. He knew of a girl that had a huge crush on me but was in the AP course work and had no time to really get to hang out with me. So they came up with if I'm in the same class as her, I could hang out with her. The girl in question was tiny, like her temple was about the same height as my elbow and she could hide at my side facing it but had the personality and force of will 3 times her size but was very adorable in her demeanor. She had come up to me and without missing a beat told me why she had my friend to get me to come into the choir, in which I was shocked to the fact that she actually likes me that way. I had asked her what made her like me at all and her answer was that I almost always had a serious scowl on my face and looked serious but was always kind to everyone I know. She thought I was unhappy and she wanted to be with me to bring happiness to my world. At that point she glommed onto my arm in which she found out how mouse like I am when I''m around women and how easily she could just pull me around because she had a hold on my arm. She knew that I was strong but she was surprised how gentle I was with her and protective of her. I had fun in choir even though I got someone who loved me even though I though I wasn't a good person for a relationship. Through both class and after school, I tried to hang out as much as possible with her in the various ways I could and she appreciated it because she had really no free time due to her class load. A few more things had passed but I was waking up about that point.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289]