Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 837158 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10035 on: June 26, 2022, 02:41:31 pm »

Waiting for someone to cross the street before turning, and the guy behind me is pounding on his horn. Cop nearby assumes it’s me honking at the guy walking, and comes right up to my car screaming at me.

At least I didn’t get a ticket, but it rattled me more than I feel it should have.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: June 27, 2022, 03:32:11 pm »

Father in law is having surgery right now. He's almost 80, but the surgery is reasonably routine/low risk. He's been back there for like 3 hours though.

He's a great guy, just hoping he's going to pull through and not have any complications.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: June 28, 2022, 08:29:28 pm »

I'm a little bothered today cause my niece is now just very afraid of me and will cry the moment I enter the room. I haven't visited as often as I should, so I imagine she's just not sure who I am, but I'd think she'd be able to recognize me by now. That kinda bums me out.

In better news, after something like 9 months, I can finally bend my right elbow all the way and straighten out my arm. I still feel that it's really weak and tender, but it actually straightens out now. Feelsgoodman.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: June 28, 2022, 08:41:40 pm »

How old is your niece?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: June 29, 2022, 05:52:40 am »

Less than a year old. Still a baby, so it's understandable.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: June 29, 2022, 06:18:53 am »

That's normal. No need to feel bummed out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: June 29, 2022, 08:32:54 am »

Yea, definitely normal. My nephew was terrified of his grandad up until about 1. He'd have stretched his arms out and screamed when the grandad got near.

Now he follows him all over the place and can't get enough of him.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: June 29, 2022, 09:40:29 am »

As the favored uncle, the stranger danger does go away. Odds are pretty good you're recognized, I'm guessing baby brain just doesn't really know how to grok the whole 'this is Someone I Know' and 'this is Not My Parents' thing at the same time yet.

--

I test software for work. What remains in the testing pile are a lot of features like 'make sure this credit works and can be added to the digital shopping cart' or 'add this sub-offer.' I have submitted entirely too many bug reports that boil down to "this thing you said exists does not exist therefore I cannot test it."

Some of them don't even tell me what I'm supposed to test at all, or have outdated information. I don't want to be the guy beholden to watchdog organizations for false advertising when I validate that prices are correct.... against an out-of-date pricing matrix. Oh, what do you know, the one I was given was eight versions behind.

It gets bad to the point where there's entire chunks of development which are like "look, some of the stuff in here isn't implemented yet, so you can't test it, but it NEEDS to go with this next release because it's an all-or-nothing chunk of development work. Sorry not sorry, validate anyways?"

I have family that's also in software development, and boy howdy they're frequently like 'no this is not how development should go at all who is managing this how do you call this agile development' and I'm just over here getting no work done because everything is broken and nothing is responsibly written.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: June 29, 2022, 05:00:59 pm »

I have family that's also in software development, and boy howdy they're frequently like 'no this is not how development should go at all who is managing this how do you call this agile development' and I'm just over here getting no work done because everything is broken and nothing is responsibly written.

That's not Agile development, that's Me Am Speed development.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: June 30, 2022, 03:09:46 pm »

Let's continue the tech bitching, shall we?

On my way to work today I get a text from a coworker stating that Volvo IT, who hosts a server for one of our clients, sent a threatening email that said their security audit of the server (which we do not manage) came back with a bunch of problems and they were threatening to shut the server down (and basically terminate our client's use of our software) if we didn't do EVERYTHING TODAY.

So I get to work and am immediately pulled into a meeting with 8 people, where they dump a 1300 line spreadsheet on me.

This spreadsheet was generated by a pen tester, and then crossed referenced with a government website about known software exploits and vulnerabilities. I.e, whoever ran this and presented it to us knows nothing about what we do or any of the facts on the ground.

Over half of the references were to Adobe Flash Player exploits, which we don't use and didn't deploy.

Once we removed that, their objections were basically to every piece of supporting software we installed on the server AND the version of our database software.

So I had to call an emergency 2 hour meeting with every person in my team to go over the line items that applied to us (and the spreadsheet crashed on me in the middle of it as I was making edits to cut down on the sheer amount of nonsense in there) and then create an action plan to show their IT we were doing something so they don't shut down our client.

Forget the fact that the last time ANYTHING security related was mentioned was over a year ago. I filled out their questionnaire then and that was the last I heard about it until today.

The Volvo reps, sensing my growing fury, quickly admitted that they dropped the ball on notifying or coordinating with us but asked us to do the most we could in the shortest time possible so they could demonstrate to their IT security heads that there was a plan in place.

So here I am, scrambling to update software packages. It's gone smoother than I anticipated, but the big lingering bugaboo is the database software: the absolute highest version we can target falls two years short of what they want to see.

We told them "we can update the server to the latest version we support next week but that is the earliest we can do it, we're not doing this today, over tonight or over the holiday."

Meanwhile, my actual client does between $50k and $100k worth of business or more a day. They would be absolutely crippled if their server (which Volvo manages and makes them use) were shut down.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm so fucking pissed at the two Volvo IT reps I deal with. They should have told us this was coming weeks or even months ago. Half the problems listed in this spreadsheet are directly on them but they're both either too busy or this business is such a bastard child on their network that they don't care. Volvo IT has routinely been a problem for us: requiring us to manage our own passwords on a server we don't control; taking weeks to address VPN accounts they require us to have to connect to this server. Not cleaning up half the fucking garbage on this server that bloated this list to the point their own IT heads were like "Fuck this server, it's a flaming train wreck and we don't want it on our network in this state."

So goddamn frustrating not only to be the person all this communication is directed at, not only be the person that has to organize my entire business to help address this problem but ALSO BE THE GUY WHO HAS TO DO ALL THE FUCKING WORK ON IT.

Meanwhile all my other customers, who are used to prompt service and replies from me, are freaking out about their own little problems and messaging me directly on Discord while I'm juggling this meeting and all the technical nonsense that goes along with it.

Makes you fucking yearn for the days of physical labor. If I could get paid what I do now to dig a ditch, you bet your ass I'd be digging that ditch instead of handling all this shit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: June 30, 2022, 06:32:58 pm »

And as I was leaving for the day, I was told by the auto shop owner that one of the street cats we look after and I feed got run over and killed by a car sometime last night.

It wasn't one of the couple of cats that are friendly with me. Still, that hurts. It doesn't bode well for any of them. Not that life on the street ever boded well for anyone. But it's a cramped street with too many cars for the cats to hide under, where people drive too fast. I'll be pretty devastated if one of the ones I like gets hurt or killed.

The one we lost today, I called Grump. RIP friend, I hope heaven is kinder than the streets were to you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: July 05, 2022, 07:27:05 pm »

Woo I paid 210 dollars to pay 70 more dollars for my next 3 months of "not hating myself" juice.

It's nice to have it confirmed, but I would suggest that other people skip the 210$.

It was nice chatting with the nurse, and they did take my blood to be fair.
But the conversation with the doctor was... technically she confirmed thing I was already sure about.

It was still nice to be cared for by a medical professional, for once, but that's something I should pay a psychologist to talk about.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: July 05, 2022, 08:09:05 pm »

you could pay a psychiatrist and get both at once!~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: July 06, 2022, 09:31:21 am »

One of the best properties of the software hellscape 2022 is how:

-Open browser, if open tab isnt bay12 or other plain html, watch it freeze, force stop to fix memory leak.
-Tap writable box, wait 15 seconds for keyboard to pop up, gotta have a rich lexicon of suggestions.
-Enter search term, see the thing you allways pick fly by between 2 and 3 letters then get burried below "generic" (moneymaking) suggestions.
-Tap what you want except oops we needed to rearrange the dropdown, get the thing below it instead.

And people pay money for their phones, JFL... Last phone I paid out of my pocket was a nokia 3510i
let

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: July 06, 2022, 12:01:25 pm »

Last phone I paid out of my pocket was a nokia 3510i

I'm still using one of these.
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 774