Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 841380 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11550 on: March 11, 2024, 08:27:52 pm »

Trying to remake marignonese names in russian translation of Dominions 5. Few previous ones were simple enough affair - find a poem where developers pilfered those names from in english and russian, then search and copypaste. I know a decent place for russian books, but it turned out that all of google's greedy sites are hellbent on not posting Song of Roland in particular in a format that is searchable, nevermind finding the right translation from french. But! For all my trouble, I found where the Pigmote Isle rhyme in Sunless Sea comes from. One more obscure reference got.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Pontificating cartoon songs worked on me, they did, but one about not missing your chance went right over my head.
Приносят
чёрную метку,
чёрную метку
мне!
And at that time there weren't any about videogame addiction, which turned out to be no less ruinous to the body than any other. Bad eyesight? Crooked back? Pah.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 11:47:25 am by MCreeper »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: March 12, 2024, 10:23:31 am »

Friend who has been drinking a worrying amount of alcohol to "deal with existing": [Passes out while standing up and cracks their head on something, requiring stitches]

That friend afterwards: "Hmm, I should probably quit my SSRIs cold turkey without talking to my doctor. That should prevent this from happening again"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: March 12, 2024, 02:03:19 pm »

Trying to remake marignonese names in russian translation of Dominions 5. Few previous ones were simple enough affair - find a poem where developers pilfered those names from in english and russian, then search and copypaste. I know a decent place for russian books, but it turned out that all of google's greedy sites are hellbent on not posting Song of Roland in particular in a format that is searchable, nevermind finding the right translation from french. But! For all my trouble, I found where the Pigmote Isle rhyme in Sunless Sea comes from. One more obscure reference got.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Pontificating cartoon songs worked on me, they did, but one about not missing your chance went right over my head.
Приносят
чёрную метку,
чёрную метку
мне!
And at that time there weren't any about videogame addiction, which turned out to be no less ruinous to the body than any other. Bad eyesight? Crooked back? Pah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZ5HYBq6_0
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: March 15, 2024, 10:30:02 am »

Just... damnit. Gmail finally dumped the html version, and, of course, the new thing is a sack of shit that looks worse and has worse performance, because that's fucking always what happens when websites dump things that just work for something that requires a friggin' loading screen.

Probably won't migrate just due the effort it would take, but for the love of fuck I wish these idiots would stop "updating" shit that doesn't need to be updated and isn't actually improved on any level in the process. Have to interact with fedex at work and they're trying to transition in a similar way, except their new version that's the same sort of crap is literally nonfunctional for my organization so it's this pigshit except somehow even less competent. How these billion dollar companies keep fucking up in the exact same way I'll never quite wrap my head around -- I know it's corpo brainrot skimping on something important, but I just can't understand it beyond the intellectual level.

Though there's days I look at this stuff and somewhere in all the frustration there's an odd sort of something like respect for whoever's managing to boondoggle the idiot CEOs into making bad decisions like this. Like, fuck them with a rusty rail spike powered by the infinite hate of competent UI designers, but at the same time someone out there's making bank convincing people to do remarkably stupid shit and there's something similar to respect for that. It's not actually respect, because they're using their power for evil and I hate them, but it's something resembling it. Just wish someone'd goddamn stop them, blech.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 10:31:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: March 15, 2024, 03:22:28 pm »

We have an executive assistant here who isn't thrilled with how glamorous the job turned out to be. So she wants to be taken along on business trips to Europe (for demos and expos, despite the fact she doesn't contribute to either of them in a meaningful way.) She ran into some guy from Austria on a previous trip who started courting her and wanted to use the work trip to meet with them.

Needless to say, that doesn't go over well with anyone. Particularly because she's angling for him to wife her so she can move to Europe and quit her job.

I know Gold Digger is a pretty mean term to use, but when she's trying to use work to make it happen....yeah, no, get the fuck out of here Gold Digger. Stop wasting our time and money.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: March 24, 2024, 08:37:37 pm »

I am almost done with writing the next turn in my forum game but Imgur decided to be in temporarily over capacity, so I can't put the system and star charts in the place, which are necessary for the game to work.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: March 25, 2024, 08:37:52 am »

Just... damnit. Gmail finally dumped the html version, and, of course, the new thing is a sack of shit that looks worse and has worse performance, because that's fucking always what happens when websites dump things that just work for something that requires a friggin' loading screen.

Probably won't migrate just due the effort it would take, but for the love of fuck I wish these idiots would stop "updating" shit that doesn't need to be updated and isn't actually improved on any level in the process. Have to interact with fedex at work and they're trying to transition in a similar way, except their new version that's the same sort of crap is literally nonfunctional for my organization so it's this pigshit except somehow even less competent. How these billion dollar companies keep fucking up in the exact same way I'll never quite wrap my head around -- I know it's corpo brainrot skimping on something important, but I just can't understand it beyond the intellectual level.

Though there's days I look at this stuff and somewhere in all the frustration there's an odd sort of something like respect for whoever's managing to boondoggle the idiot CEOs into making bad decisions like this. Like, fuck them with a rusty rail spike powered by the infinite hate of competent UI designers, but at the same time someone out there's making bank convincing people to do remarkably stupid shit and there's something similar to respect for that. It's not actually respect, because they're using their power for evil and I hate them, but it's something resembling it. Just wish someone'd goddamn stop them, blech.

the router here lets you do all configuration within a web browser, entirely as it should

EXCEPT for port forwarding or DMZ settings, which REQUIRE you to use the xfinity app to configure, which requires you to log into their service

and, like, for what? configuring just these two features has always worked fine via html, why am i being required to install crapware to do basic router management

it's like everyone
a) moves fast and breaks things
b) patch jobs the things they break instead of doing proper fixes
c) has no clue how to program
d) changes things for the sake of change
e) has already moved onto enshittifying something else

---

unrelated:

i stayed up until 2am reading a discworld novel, and i do not cope well on a lack of sleep. not when i was doing this when i was seventeen, not when i was doing this when i was twenty, not when i do this at thirty
Small Gods was a fun read, though, ate the damn book in two nights
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 08:41:12 am by None »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: March 28, 2024, 09:06:38 am »

Some wildlife dragged a half-eaten deer carcass into the middle of my yard.  Not a situation I was expecting to have to deal with.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: March 28, 2024, 09:23:37 am »

Some wildlife dragged a half-eaten deer carcass into the middle of my yard. Not a situation I was expecting to have to deal with.
Do you live in the countryside , why there are some wildlife ? Which sounds horrible, I couldn't imagine that you are living with wolves , deers , foxes or some other terrorible animals .

The only places I thought they should stay are the protecting areas or the zoos .

My histology and embryology began today , I was interested in it before, but when the professor began to teach the same time I lost my interest . She was just reading her very old (maybe even
elder than me) power point ,seemingly like just taking a abbreviate glimpse of it without any teaching techniques .
I would rather learn it online with some free courses .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:48:53 am by zhijinghaofromchina »
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: March 28, 2024, 10:03:53 am »

I wouldn't call where I live "countryside" by any stretch... but maybe if you're used to a city it would be.  Here it's definite suburbia...

We have all kinds of wildlife around here, and most of it isn't protected - the only stuff protected around here are the sandhill cranes, geese, and swan.  Everything else is pretty much a nuisance / natural part of the ecology.  My state is known for its huge deer population - quick search says something like 2 million?  For reference we have a human population of about 9 million in our state.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: March 28, 2024, 12:07:25 pm »

Some wildlife dragged a half-eaten deer carcass into the middle of my yard. Not a situation I was expecting to have to deal with.
Do you live in the countryside , why there are some wildlife ? Which sounds horrible, I couldn't imagine that you are living with wolves , deers , foxes or some other terrorible animals .

The only places I thought they should stay are the protecting areas or the zoos .

My histology and embryology began today , I was interested in it before, but when the professor began to teach the same time I lost my interest . She was just reading her very old (maybe even
elder than me) power point ,seemingly like just taking a abbreviate glimpse of it without any teaching techniques .
I would rather learn it online with some free courses .
I strongly advise against doing that. Boring as it might be, the exam will be about what the teacher is saying in class, and not about the content of some course on the internet.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: March 29, 2024, 02:11:18 am »

What's wrong with the countryside, I couldn't imagine myself living in the city as all the cities I've been to seem pretty shit to live in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: March 29, 2024, 02:39:08 am »

Bears. At least in the city you have a false sense of safety.
Sadly not for long though, the AI robo-bear apocalypse is just around the corner.
(Future robo-bear historians will note that it wasn't very smart of Elon Musk to stick them all into indestructible bear bodies).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:44:29 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: March 29, 2024, 02:41:34 am »

There’s invariably nothing or very little to do in the countryside. I live in a relatively small town, but pretty much everything I need is in walking distance, or a short drive away.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: March 29, 2024, 06:20:08 am »

It's extremely lonely out here. Urge to hug the local wildlife is definitely rising.

Doesn't help that they're adorable, no matter how deadly they may be.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 775