Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 839957 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: forced restart edition
« Reply #2910 on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

Can relate, at least to the self-advertising bit, since i also hate having to be like "LOOK HOW GOOD I AM, I AM YOUR BEST CHOICE". I value honesty and modesty, two things that direly complicate the act of self-advertisement in any situation. "Hello, i'm a man with no higher education who suffers from anxiety and is in a bad physical shape, i've dropped out of two studies, i hate spending energy on things i deem unnecessary and i'm not very flexible because of my bowels" is not a good intro to basically anything. >.>
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: June 08, 2017, 11:24:13 pm »

Focus on your hobbies and the things that you enjoy doing. Let the rest of it either be the second paragraph or something to be discussed on the first date/onoine conversations.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: June 09, 2017, 12:55:04 am »

Antidepressants are not meant to be an end all fix to your problems.
Of course you've grown tolerance

Yeah, why do I figure you are in the "Antidepressants are bad!" boat?
Not incorrect on the first part, dunno about the second.

The fact is that antidepressants are the kind of medication that goes "Better to treat the symptoms than nothing". You need to do other stuff alongside them. Lifestyle changes, therapy, whatever it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok lets skip that spoiler... instead I'll just do

-_-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:14:55 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: June 09, 2017, 01:16:36 am »

OK, so apparently me saying that antidepressants aren't a cure and stuff needs doing alongside them means that I'm part of the anti-antidepressant crowd.

Nice to know that about me, hadn't realised I was against antidepressants.

Neo, if I'm honest, this is one really, really fucking annoying thing about you: You strawman the fuck out of people. You'll make a whole personality for you to attack from the basest amount of information, which means that either you're attacking an imaginary version of them, or you have such amazing insight you're able to see so deeply into people with one comment that you know them better than they do.

In this case I am not exactly strawmanning you. Some people DO in fact need to stay on them REGARDLESS of what happens.

Not to mention you are putting the fault not getting better on the person. As well as blaming my tolerance towards one brand of antidepressants on my "Not trying to get better" regardless of any other circumstances.

Which also means you believe that antidepressants are short term drugs.

Hence why I edited what I said and changed it to -_-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:23:39 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: June 09, 2017, 01:25:43 am »

Unless paired with something, antidepressants won't fix the base problem.

The base problem is a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes it to be inefficient at producing and/or absorbing the chemicals that allows an ordinary person to feel happy.

A lifestyle change can improve this quite a bit and for some it can help enough that antidepressants aren't necessary, however
1) Depression has no external cause, only external aggravators. (There is no cure for depression)
2) People who get off of Antidepressants might eventually need to go back on them for a bit.
3) It can take a long time before a proper combination of antidepressants and therapy become useful/helpful. There is no magical key to depression wellness.

Or rather...Your idea is for a subset of people who suffer from depression.

Most people would be quite happy if antidepressants, a bit of therapy, a decent job, and a clean room would cure them in a matter of months. In fact, can I take those antidepressants?

----

HOWEVER and I am sad I left this to an edit...

Yes, it is improper unless someone needs no lifestyle changes or extensive therapy (it does happen, it isn't that uncommon) that someone can just stick to antidepressants.

In fact the usual reason why someone is allowed to take antidepressants without going to a Therapist? Because depression often prevents people from aiding their depression. Antidepressants indeed can be a cure on its own.

Well... Except that there is no cure for depression.

---

To put Depression in context.

The greatest day of your life, would probably make you extremely depressed. The best thing about depression is that it takes a lot of hard and consistent work because everything good that happens to you, is equally depressing because of the way your body handles it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:40:29 am by Neonivek »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2915 on: June 09, 2017, 01:45:08 am »

That place is not as a cure, but as symptom relief so you are actually able to get on with finding the cure for whatever ails you

I've been diagnosed with a "depressive personality type". There is no real cure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: June 09, 2017, 01:54:07 am »

So what you're saying is that no matter what, depression is only aggravated by exterior problems?

The issue with that is you can track down a lot of shit to something. If X triggers depression, X is viewed as the cause, because while mechanism Y is causing the effects, X caused mechanism Y to trigger.

It's like saying that your nose is blocked because you have a cold, then someone saying "No, actually, it's because your body's releasing histamines in the nose". The cold virus caused the mechanism to trigger, so the virus is accepted as the cause of the cold.

So, to go back to antidepressants: Doing X causes your depression.  Taking antidepressants will fix the mechanism, it won't by any means fix X. Granted, yes, there are situations where nothing obvious caused the depression, it just decided "Hi, fuck you today!" and you spend the next 3 months feeling like you don't want to go to work, school or whatever, and the next 6 after that feeling only marginally better. But those instances aside, antidepressants will not fix the problem. You'll need to do something else. Note I've never said "Take therapy because that's the only course of action to fix your brain!" because I know that the cure will vary from person to person and cause to cause.

Ok I'll try to stow my antagonism and apologize for earlier. I was yelling out in frustration from... people unrelated to you greatorder, sort of. (I still think you do not understand what depression is)

Yes nothing exterior causes depression. There are exterior aggravators.

However it isn't an allergy that once what you are allergic to is removed it doesn't matter anymore because nothing is aggravating your allergies.

Depression is self-feeding, self-causing, and self-aggravating. It can make nothing much worse.

As well the exterior aggravators? They can be positive things and positive experiences. What Therapy are you going to get for you like Ice-cream? I don't mean like "I like Nachos but I'll get fat" I mean "I like Nachos, the fact that I like them is making me depressed"

(That is the BEST part about depression! Being happy makes it worse)

That place is not as a cure, but as symptom relief so you are actually able to get on with finding the cure for whatever ails you

I've been diagnosed with a "depressive personality type". There is no real cure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The metaphors are getting all mixed up :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:56:07 am by Neonivek »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:11 am »

Not to mention you are putting the fault not getting better on the person. As well as blaming my tolerance towards one brand of antidepressants on my "Not trying to get better" regardless of any other circumstances.

He never did any of that... he was saying antidepressants are best accompanied by other therapy, not accusing you of not doing such things. O.o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: June 09, 2017, 03:00:36 am »

He never did any of that... he was saying antidepressants are best accompanied by other therapy, not accusing you of not doing such things. O.o   

Huh what?

Antidepressants are not meant to be an end all fix to your problems.
Of course you've grown tolerance

OHHH DAMN! YOUR RIGHT!

It was Avarice!

I COMPLETELY thought this was Greatorder who said this.

Not that he isn't mildly misinformed on the role of antidepressants or depression... But it paints an entirely different picture now that I know he wasn't harassing me for using antidepressants and just defending his right to basically police people's need for it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:14:34 am by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: June 09, 2017, 03:18:10 am »

My bald spot has gotten noticebly larger since the first time I noticed it. Whenever I wash my hair, it feels like I'm pulling it all out as I come away with a noticeable clump of severed hair after a few light brushes. I don't want to lose my hair...

Also, as usual, I have a group assignment that would already be done if I was just allowed to do it on my own. So much valuable work time, wasted on debating stupid shit that doesn't matter with one that cares way too much and one that cares even less than I do.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: June 09, 2017, 03:22:14 am »

... just defending his right to basically police people's need for it.
All these conclusions you're jumping to are making me wonder if you wouldn't be better off on antipsychotics than your current medication to begin with. ???
Relax, Neon. No-one's putting you down or belittling you for needing antidepressants. Many of us are in the same boat, and I'm pretty sure most if not all of us are supportive of such issues. I personally don't know enough to offer advice as to the potential tolerance issue, but I hope it works out and you feel better soon.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:11 am »

I wonder how much money someone could make by writing online dating blurbs for people.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: June 09, 2017, 03:28:59 am »

... just defending his right to basically police people's need for it.
All these conclusions you're jumping to are making me wonder if you wouldn't be better off on antipsychotics than your current medication to begin with. ???
Relax, Neon. No-one's putting you down or belittling you for needing antidepressants. Many of us are in the same boat, and I'm pretty sure most if not all of us are supportive of such issues. I personally don't know enough to offer advice as to the potential tolerance issue, but I hope it works out and you feel better soon.

What I intended to convey with what you quoted is that he wasn't doing that... Because the context of what Avarice wrote, wasn't what Greatorder said. (Or rather he didn't accuse me of something, and then defended his right to the accusation)

Also funny enough I was on antipsychotics for a bit. Interestingly enough there is a extreme social stigma in taking them for any reason (I wasn't taking them to treat a psychosis. Many antipsychotics have other uses.)

I wonder how much money someone could make by writing online dating blurbs for people.

A lot.

The issue is that it has a bit of a visibility problem.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:32:04 am by Neonivek »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: June 09, 2017, 03:49:24 am »

Could always trawl the dating profiles for people with shitty blurbs and offer to rewrite it for them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: June 09, 2017, 03:55:59 am »

Could always trawl the dating profiles for people with shitty blurbs and offer to rewrite it for them.

I will warn that helping people date will get you a LOT of hate.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 775