Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 840181 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3390 on: September 29, 2017, 05:54:02 pm »

Magdalena Ribbing, Queen of Proper Manners & Etiquette, ever ready to make the understanding of these available to anyone prepared to listen, and a terribly bright and humourous woman, standing by the banner of common decency, has died.
Towards her last days, she remained a thoughtful and honourable brand of socialite, and while she always campaigned for etiquette, it always remained based on simple grounds that everyone ought to aspire towards; gentleness, kindness, thoughtfullnes. Tradition and pride is important, but never on the expense of someone else's feelings and composure.

There is more to good behaviour than (bloody buggery) fish cuttlery. Go with God, and thank you for all the times you have made that loud and clear.

She died, according to current knowledge, in the aftermath of misadventure while preparing a luncheon for close friends. Dying in the pursuit of what one lived with, lived for, is not the most terrible death one can ask for, I must say.

It was... Well, quite unexpected. I knew, of course, that she would not live forever. Nonetheless, the urgency of her death was quite unexpected. I cannot state that her death feels entirely like one amongst the family (we have had quite enough of those lately, Lord, kindly keep that in mind as you draw your schedules), but certainly close and personal, considering that we rallied 'round the same banner, as it were. She has been a fixture, of sorts. A constant, that I have always admired, someone that has made it clear that civil and gentle life is possible and preferable, now in the 21st century as it was in the 18th century as it was in the 7th and will be in the 36th so forth. It is, and will always be, about attitudes.

I shall confess. I am hit by this, to the degree that I share it on-line, for it is rather like as if Grandmother have died twice, truth be told. Providence is rather cruel at the moment.

[Information:
Magdalena Ribbing was a Swedish noblewoman, authoress and journalist. She was an educated authority in questions and matters of etiquette and behaviour, and respected in those fields. She was also involved in radio, and was a skilled lecture.
She was born on the 30th of July 1940, and died on the 29th of September 2017.]

Yes, it is almost as if Hyancith Bucket (but more agreeable in every way) has died. To make it more relatable at a glance.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:17 am »

Had a sleep paralysis today. The reason I wrote this post in mild sad instead of terrified, is because it was very brief.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: October 02, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »

For more than two years I have hunted the DEMON HAT OF CASTING. It is the most grand and magnificently feathered hat that a caster can own. It only drops from one boss in one raid.

It has eluded me. If crewing a ship and hunting the seven seas with a harpoon tempered in blood was an option then I'd be on a boat right now.

Please give me my hat, FFXIV.

Spoiler: Why is my life so hard (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: October 02, 2017, 08:32:05 pm »

Anyone else slightly dissatisfied with their life but has trouble voicing it because they have everything better than other people around them?

No?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: October 03, 2017, 01:15:18 am »

Anyone else slightly dissatisfied with their life but has trouble voicing it because they have everything better than other people around them?

No?
* Tiruin boops (~'u')~
There are a lot of people with that idea. Just because someone is well-off than others, doesn't mean that comparison is applicable when determining if one approaches others with help, or with asking help, because they have problems or troubles themselves.

Sometimes patience is an answer, and growing understanding. Sometimes, sharing ideas are. Dissatisfaction has causes and processes; it's better off expressed with a goal in mind rather than compared and hidden because you saw the general idea of 'but others are worse off :<'

Because one's own concerns, are with oneself. Life is dynamic that way, in that these matters can be both connected and on different contexts entirely.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: October 03, 2017, 01:57:03 am »

No?

Grass always greener
××××××××××××××××××

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: October 03, 2017, 05:08:09 am »

No?

Grass always greener
I mean, does that apply when your grass is the greener one?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: October 03, 2017, 05:27:06 am »

We can quantify how far you are above the general background level of suffering and apply a corrective, if you like.

This sort of seems to be the zeitgeist now instead of pulling the disadvantaged up, because tearing others down is way easier than fixing things.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: October 03, 2017, 05:34:55 am »

No?

Grass always greener
I mean, does that apply when your grass is the greener one?

Always greener
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: October 03, 2017, 05:39:48 am »

Also aren't the college generation suppose to value how oppressed you are? Note that this attitude only holds in the population segment of "American college students" who are, objectively the most coddled and privileged class of people on the planet. So it's natural that "not having it all" is the new status.

Not having the green grass and having everything laid out on the red carpet, in that situation, is the new "grass is greener" because it implies you're not just coasting on parent's money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: October 03, 2017, 06:04:09 am »

Just become a "miserable bastard" and start taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others.
Not only will the resulting entertainment distract you from your own issues, I imagine your newfound lightness of heart would make you less bashful over talking about whatever problems still bother you.

As for my mild sad... I stumbled upon Road To Perdition in the library and got all excited, having wanted to read it (and thus avoided watching the critically-acclaimed movie adaptation) for years. Turns out it kinda sucks. Well then. Same with Ghost World, another graphic novel I've wanted to read for a long time and recently found there. Sad times.

Oh well, at least now I can finally watch the film.
Tom Hanks rarely does wrong - although I did watch my first-ever bad film of his recently, which left me quite disturbed. I hope it isn't a sign of his Midas touch finally failing after so many years.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: October 03, 2017, 11:18:36 am »

I watched his early movie "Joe vs the Volcano" a while ago. It was a pretty good film. However it's all about the journey, the ending segment is the weakest part.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:20:59 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: October 04, 2017, 05:04:40 am »

Ugh, why I'm such a magnet for bugs in vidya gaems? In DF, my animals refuse to kill creatures/neutrals who have lost the ability stand. In Rimworld, I've a bug which causes the game to play combat music and thus giving me no opportunity to name my colony (My colony is one year and a half old in-game, like, WTF).
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: October 04, 2017, 05:47:40 am »

Not sure about the music part, but I have the same bug with naming colonies - fortunately, you can force the option to name it from the development mode menu.

@Reelya: I've not seen that one, I shall have to watch it at some point.

...Whew, sorry for the rant, there. The book was/is terrible, but I'm not sure it warranted devoting quite so much time to complaining about it. I think I've been starved for conversation somewhat today, that's probably the issue - been left alone too long with too many angry/worried thoughts and trying to cheer myself up by having a good old bitch about one of the many things that have annoyed me today.

At least the other book is Dracula! That can't fail to be at least interesting.
I reckon I'll go get started on that now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:51:25 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: October 04, 2017, 07:29:23 am »

I do know what that music bug in rimworld is. On any map affected by this bug is an ancient danger with mechanoids, clearing them out will fix the bug (the game is registering them as active threats). You can use dev mode to kill them too (and respawn them when you want to actually fight them).
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 775