Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 837655 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4275 on: August 25, 2018, 12:43:38 pm »

Welp. GF made herself dinner and then asked if I wanted to watch something with her, or if she should just veg out with the internet. I said sure, we can watch something together, so she then spent a few minutes getting irritated because she was scrolling through Netflix instead of eating dinner. We passed by Up, which she hasn't seen yet (I said I was very much down for watching it again) but put in her "Ditch of Forgetting" "To-Watch List" for later, and then found Coming to America in the Netflix library.

Apparently I've "Talked about it a hundred thousand times" (I've mentioned that it's something that's been referenced a fair amount, but I don't think we've quite hit 100,000 times...), and she decided to put that on so I could shut up about it.

After being clearly disinterested for an hour, she eventually fell asleep. Then she woke up again a while later and asked for her phone, which she surfed on for a bit before falling asleep again. I mean sure, it's a late 80's Eddie Murphy movie... It's not a genre known to age very well. But eh...

So now I've kinda fucked over her evening and further cemented the idea that anything I pipe up about on Netflix is to be avoided like the plague, particularly whenever I mention the word "Classic".

And that's pretty much all I have to bring up. Everything else is the same old same old. I'm not improving myself, I'm not getting out of this place, and I'm really not engaging in any social endeavors. Bleh. Haven't even been gaming for the past few weeks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 25, 2018, 02:02:12 pm »

So now I've kinda fucked over her evening and further cemented the idea that anything I pipe up about on Netflix is to be avoided like the plague, particularly whenever I mention the word "Classic".

Things from ages ago are generally poor ways to impress people, because unless you re-screen everything you find that you've forgotten the cheesier aspects of those things. This is where cross-referencing a bunch of reviews can be handy since they remind / alert you of potential issues and forgotten details.

Just sticking on some random thing you enjoyed in your younger years with new friends and going "this is going to be great" is usually super-awkward. Rather than gritting your teeth and bearing it, it's usually better to say something yourself like "wow I didn't realize this had aged so badly" or some other relevant comment. That way if they're thinking the same thing then they'll let you know, and you've let them know that you're aware of it too, which reduces the awkwardness if they're pretending to like something for your sake. Or, they'll go "nah, i'm actually digging this", either way.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:07:18 pm by Reelya »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 25, 2018, 02:07:06 pm »

Force her to watch The Room.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 25, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »

Except for The Warriors
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 25, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »

The Streetfighter movie with Kylie Minogue in it. It's 100% date night material.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 25, 2018, 02:09:08 pm »

Every true romantic knows that the quickest way to a woman's heart is via A Serbian Film.

HUH, so Tommy Wiseau isn't Serbian. Well, that falls flat.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:21:29 pm by George_Chickens »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 25, 2018, 02:35:21 pm »

I never claimed that the movie was an amazing must-see title (I reserved that for Ferris Bueller's Day Off). I just mentioned in passing that it was a historically important film that had a lot of references made to it in other media.

But I'm pretty sure she mixes around a few of the titles I bring up, so yeah, this was definitely one I've gushed about and bugged her to see at every opportunity (again, that behavior was reserved for Bueller).

Force her to watch The Room.
Shit, I haven't even seen The Room yet... I've got a pal to watch cinematic turkeys with (we've gone through a number of 80's barbarian classics, including the masterpiece that is YOR'S WORLD), but sadly he's been busy lately with legitimately going somewhere in his life, and has spent time actually studying for exams instead of getting drunk with me. The nerve.

I did make him watch In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale though, so I think I'm still kinda living that one down.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 25, 2018, 02:43:55 pm »

Some of the most fun 80s comedy movies are the Zucker/Abrahams spoofs like Airplane and Top Secret.

Top Secret is especially fun because of how dumb it is, since it mixes so many incongruous film genres. It's partly
"Elvis movie" about a 50's rock'n'roll singer / secret agent, with all the set-piece musical / insert numbers you'd expect, and part Cold War spy thriller set in East Germany, but it just blatantly rips of WWII Nazi Germany for it's depiction of what 1980s East Germany is like, complete with SS uniforms and somehow having French Resistance fighters come to the aid of the heroes.

As a taste, the most All-American sport of all time: Skeet Surfin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9N7UhTMA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6A2WzA5BaE
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:54:47 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 25, 2018, 03:52:52 pm »

Yeah, I've seen almost the entire Zucker/Zucker/Abrahams collection... And many of Brooks' comedies as well, although things like Spaceballs definitely didn't age well. I think I've seen all the Naked Gun movies, but it's entirely too long since the last time... Still a bit peeved Police Squad got cancelled so early (for having too much content, of all things), but what's there is still beloved.

I've long since given up trying to feed that kind of cinema to her though... There's no point, it's just not something she finds funny. She was politely entertained by Top Secret because it was at my parents' house and the three of us were chuckling heartily at our 12th+ viewing of the thing, and she wanted to make a good impression.

If I want to cater to her tastes, it's basically just a matter of putting on one of the Sex and the City movies. Doesn't really matter which one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 25, 2018, 03:56:54 pm »

Did you see the sci-fi show Quark? It's from 1978 and is by the co-creator of Get Smart, only ran for 8 episodes, but it's pretty great as a Star Trek spoof.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 25, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »

Don't believe so, no... Also didn't see the original Get Smart, so there's that. I just have second-hand enjoyment from the snippets my mom talked about, with the shoe phones and the cone of silence(tm).

But, like, I've seen thousands of strange, mostly mediocre independent/non-English movies, so there's that! And also The Barbarian Invasions, which is a goddamn beauty and the most punishingly human film I've seen.

Also a few French comedies, because my mom's into that. La Chevre, Les Compères, The Closet... Good stuff. Watched Delicatessen and Micmacs on my own time. Damn frogs and their humor.

EDIT: Alright, Mean Girls has been put on at this, The Hour of Our Lord 11:30 PM.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: August 25, 2018, 11:02:51 pm »

John McCain is dead, the last republican in America who understood "Country before Party"

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: August 25, 2018, 11:45:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:25:30 pm by dragdeler »
let

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: August 26, 2018, 12:04:36 am »

John McCain is dead, the last republican in America who understood "Country before Party"
Isn't this the story every shit US politician has had after a while? Like how Bush suddenly for a few years wasn't "dumb warhawk man who did untold levels of socioeconomic damage at home and god knows what abroad" but was instead "LOOK LMAO HE PAINTS CUTE DOGGIES! Wouldn't you want to have a beeeeeeeeeer with him?".

McCain consistently supported war, consistently shot down healthcare related reform until the last of his days, and from what I can tell, he pretty much consistently supported the Republican party line, sometimes saying 'no' and occasionally double backing on that 'no' a few years later. Whose country before whose party?

The whole respectful image he had created for himself faded away when he wasn't in the spotlight anymore, too. From "No, Obama is not an Arab terrorist, ma'am" to "Obama is directly responsible for ISIS and terrorism in the US because he didn't war enough. Oh shit, that statement caused controversy? Well, uh, that's not what I meant.". He seems to me like nothing more than an opportunist, pro-business war hawk like practically every other Republican. Especially considering his flagrantly anti-diplomatic, pro-party stances in the past, E.G. "The well has been poisoned, there will be no cooperation for the rest of the year".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: August 26, 2018, 12:06:07 am »

didn't see the original Get Smart

... which implies you saw some remake or reboot. Do yourself a favor and never watch any except the original 1960s show. It's better to have not seen any than to have just watched some remakes.

It's similar to The Pink Panther. Someone new coming along and trying to do it as a Peter Sellers / Inspector Clouseau impression would just be horrendous, and it's the same with Get Smart: it's too driven by the characterization.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:08:38 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 774