Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 841544 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread
« Reply #5655 on: April 08, 2019, 09:50:11 am »

I’m pretty sure they don’t.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:59 am »

I'll have to vouch for Hector's position. I'm a pretty chill dude generally speaking. I have to say I owe it to a book I read, but it was filled with new-agey mysticism and stuff, so I don't know how useful it will be for you.

I can try though. One tip I can recommend is to try to control your reactions. Those tend to be easier to control than the emotions themselves. If you see yourself getting angry, don't yell out, punch a wall, indulge in detailed descriptions of how much you hate yourself, or whatever else you do. Catharsis is a myth. You may feel temporary relief when you do those things but like narcotics, your body eventually becomes dependent on these things to function. You will still feel angry, but through repeated instances of restraint your emotions will eventually start to calm down a little too.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: April 08, 2019, 11:09:51 am »

The power of the human mind is a beautiful thing, and also a horrible thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: April 08, 2019, 12:12:47 pm »

I can try though. One tip I can recommend is to try to control your reactions. Those tend to be easier to control than the emotions themselves. If you see yourself getting angry, don't yell out, punch a wall, indulge in detailed descriptions of how much you hate yourself, or whatever else you do. Catharsis is a myth. You may feel temporary relief when you do those things but like narcotics, your body eventually becomes dependent on these things to function. You will still feel angry, but through repeated instances of restraint your emotions will eventually start to calm down a little too.
Alternatively, make use of modern therapy that's based in actual psychiatric science. Which says, at least in the case of CBT, that stone-faced repression is just going to make things worse.

And, y'know, happens to be one of the main things they're trying to fix in me right now; because I've been blocking my feelings and my actions for about 20 years and it can really fuck you up if that's your only way of dealing with problems. It's a funny sensation when you hit the combination of meds and counseling that lets you feel anger again for the first time in almost a decade.

That quoted section's the kind of self-help that works great for someone who doesn't particularly need help to begin with. If you have an emotional disorder, I'd recommend trying something else.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: April 08, 2019, 06:00:38 pm »

It isn’t repression. The definition of repression my therapist taught me is when you try pretend your emotions don’t exist. If we want to get technical, I’m advocating for su-pression. Which is simply controlling your actions. We do it all the time. It’s what stops us from punching a guy for insulting us, it’s what stops us from groping women we find attractive. I’m just saying that there are other unhealthy behaviours we need to be on the look out for, such as kicking walls, punching pillows, or screaming off the top of our lungs. You’re still allowed to feel these things, but what you’ll find is that when you don’t act out on them they become less intense over time. The reverse is also true. Try slamming the table and letting out a strong yell. You’ll suddenly feel a lot more angry.

That quoted section's the kind of self-help that works great for someone who doesn't particularly need help to begin with. If you have an emotional disorder, I'd recommend trying something else.

You may have a point to that, but I wasn’t perfect though. I used to be a rather violent kid. I would escalate a lot of conflicts into physical ones, sometimes causing rather serious harm. In spite of that, I can’t conclusively say that the book is what helped me. I had also moved to a more loving and less toxic school environment by the time I read it. That may have allowed me to make better use of it. I do believe the book has made me a chill dude though. I’m generally more relaxed than most of the people I meet and I don’t believe it was because I was born with a genetic disposition to being calm.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: April 08, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »

CBT man, replace your shitty behavior with less shitty behavior.

It might take a bit more effort than that. It only took me months of therapy and then incessant introspection for years and years to make a bit of progress in figuring out how to deal with my shit.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: April 08, 2019, 07:11:01 pm »

Cock and Ball Torture?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: April 08, 2019, 11:16:10 pm »

He is saying you must get a fat German woman to kick you in the balls. But he is meaning you must get a fat German yourself to kick you in the balls of the soul.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: April 09, 2019, 04:05:25 am »

CBT man, replace your shitty behavior with less shitty behavior.

It might take a bit more effort than that. It only took me months of therapy and then incessant introspection for years and years to make a bit of progress in figuring out how to deal with my shit.
Cock and Ball Torture?
If it works for him I wont judge

He is saying you must get a fat German woman to kick you in the balls. But he is meaning you must get a fat German yourself to kick you in the balls of the soul.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:07:00 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: April 09, 2019, 05:59:41 pm »

Alternatively, have your therapist perform CBT druing the appointment. You'd need a very unique therapist for that though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: April 09, 2019, 06:19:30 pm »

Alternatively, have your therapist perform CBT druing the appointment. You'd need a very unique therapist for that though.
A psycho therapist, even.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: April 09, 2019, 06:49:06 pm »

You mean one of those therapists that advertise on craigslist and backpage?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: April 09, 2019, 08:57:25 pm »

I recommend Dwarf Therapist, he was one of the best unfortunate accident manager.
In a time before time, I had a name.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: April 09, 2019, 09:15:36 pm »

I recommend Dwarf Therapist, he was one of the best unfortunate accident manager.
If you don't mind cheating, I'd argue that remove-stress combined with brainwash ideal are better unfortunate accident managers. That, or you could just expel/relocate them, thus making it someone else's problem.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: April 10, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »

Alternatively, make use of modern therapy that's based in actual psychiatric science. Which says, at least in the case of CBT, that stone-faced repression is just going to make things worse.

Depends on the cause. CBT will help with a lot of things, but if you've got trauma-based issues (PTSD et al), focusing on them can make them worse.

Also, drinking and drugs, if you get the dosage wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 775