Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 835159 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread
« Reply #6120 on: July 27, 2019, 09:37:31 am »

I mean, I never learned about it in high school, mostly because they were too preoccupied with reviewing the scientific method for the nth time and other nonsense like that instead of teaching things that are interesting

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: July 27, 2019, 09:45:11 am »

School manny isn’t meant to be interesting, it’s meant to be useful.

Good teachers will make it interesting though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:03:25 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: July 27, 2019, 09:57:52 am »

Yeah, but I doubt most students need to be re-instructed of the scientific method, or the parts of speech 5 times every year

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: July 27, 2019, 10:01:54 am »

You’d certainly like to think that is the case.

I also just realized my phone autocorrected “isn’t” to “manny”. Okay phone.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: July 27, 2019, 10:20:06 am »

*sigh*

While perusing Slashdot today, there was a story about how human animal hybrid zygote research is actually moving again over there.

This is a provocative topic for a number of actually worthwhile to debate topics, like zoonotic pathogen transferal, issues with slippery slopes about what constitutes human vs nonhuman, once you start making mixed chimeric lifeforms that reach maturity, questions for ethics boards about how to ensure proper procedures are conducted to ensure only body organ systems become humanized, etc...

But no.

I find questions in the comments section like this one.  It was so awful that I was compelled to make as sensible an answer as I could for it.

https://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=14448814&cid=58996034

For a site who's slogan is "News for nerds; stuff that matters", the quality of discussion on that site has really come down.  This is kinda depressing.  I learned about the damn acrosome reaction when I was in fucking highschool.

So I clicked in your link and wow! Yeah, I understand how one can lose faith in humanity after that. The worst part is that the dude wasn't trolling, he thought he was making an actual insightful point!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: July 27, 2019, 10:35:10 am »

I have to admit that I've always harbored a certain cynism concerning how SIV became HIV.  Yes, I know that the mainstream hypothesis is that it was through bushmeat
But I harbor this belief that the mainstream hypothesis exists because the alternative is to lose faith in humanity :p
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: July 27, 2019, 10:41:42 am »

But it gets lonely in the jungle.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: July 27, 2019, 05:40:29 pm »

Soo I tend to delete a lot of DF-related stuff, what with all my saves-I-don't-want-anymore and backups-I-don't-need-anymore etc etc etc. These all bounce down into my Trash storage, so I like to clear that out now and again with a quick "rm -rv *".

I typically fire up Dwarf Fortress with the command "./customdf/df" in my home directory. I don't use my terminal for all that much else, so usually I can just access this command straight from the command-history. Saves a bit of typing, yes?

...Just now, I cleared out my Trash folder, closed the terminal, did some stuff, opened the terminal again, and tried to fire up Dwarf Fortress by running the latest command in the history.

The latest command in the history was "rm -rv *".

I just deleted the full contents of my home directory. Irretrievably.  :-\
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: July 27, 2019, 09:29:43 pm »

Have you tried to get TestDisk and undelete yet? I think it is in the default repo too.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: July 28, 2019, 01:03:44 am »

My left arm is fucked. My shoulder is a soggy sack of shards of agony, with most any movement causing excruciating spikes of pain.
Trying to take my shirt off yesterday was one of the most brutal, prolonged, non-musical experiences I can remember having in a long while.

Probs gonna hit up a doctor tomorrow, on Monday. The last time I thought I'd just sprained something it turned out I'd badly broken my toe and it grew back wrong, so I'd rather not have that happen again to a more vital part of my body.
I'm too injured to easily make the trek to the liquor store for self-medication purposes, either. Guess I shall have to prevail upon the family members I am staying with to head there in my stead.   

Edit: at least the bizarre issue I was having with the soles of my feet (kinda like a cracked heel, but on the balls of my feet) seems to have cleared up.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:08:52 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: July 28, 2019, 02:05:58 am »

Have you tried to get TestDisk and undelete yet? I think it is in the default repo too.

or extundelete...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: July 28, 2019, 10:16:20 pm »

I keep neglecting to post my misc. thoughts in the Random Thoughts thread in a timely fashion, and as a result I forget them.

Edit: I AM SERIOUSLY SICK OF THIS BROKEN COLLARBONE BS YOU GUYS.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:27:16 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: August 04, 2019, 05:52:51 am »

Sorry for double-posting, but my favourite television shows keep getting cancelled all over the shop. Don't these bastards realise it's my reasons* to live they're playing with?!

Also, bring me bourbon, bring me beer, I have none left of either here.

* excuses
Booze is Life for Yoink

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: August 04, 2019, 06:37:53 am »

My air conditioning unit is so old that is's design-intent refrigerant is officially illegal to sell starting 2020.  I now have to weigh the choice to have it checked / refilled now, versus paying for a new unit.

Monetarily the refill we bill less expensive than a new unit (even though R22 is quite expensive now, something like $100 a pound and my unit has a capacity of 4.5 pounds).  New units for our house are probably between $3500 and $5000 installed.  "But the environment!" you say.  Which is worse for the environment - a few more pounds of R22, or all the emissions and environmental impact of manufacturing a new unit and disposing of the old one?

:'(
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 774