Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 543

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 380424 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6495 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »

I was considering making a digital version of The Shadow Prince, an old gamebook from the 80's based on The Legend of Zelda. Playing through the book, it unfortunately seems like the decisions are based on grade-school learning activities (mazes, identifying shapes, coloring squares, etc.) disguised as puzzles. Not the most compelling gameplay.
You could always change the internal mechanics.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you feel i dunno fuckin conflicted today thread
« Reply #6496 on: October 23, 2019, 11:53:39 pm »

Got paid today. Upside: it was enough money to keep my bank from slapping my face with the overdraft cock. Downside: it was for the first five days I was working at my new job, since the pay period is fucked  :'(

I'm in at 9/hr, which is lower than it should be given i'm servsafe certified. I'll have to bring it up if I see the gm tomorrow.

Enough money for gas, but not enough for Gas :(. I feel alright with taking a break from smoking anyway, at least until i get some pocket change. I feel as though i've gotten a bit too dependant on it to help me sleep, and I'm always cool with lowering my tolerance so I don't have to smoke as much.

I took two dipenhydramine so lets hope I actually sleep tonight instead of staring at my ceiling for an hour and deciding i should just read until 8 am instead.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: October 25, 2019, 03:05:19 pm »

Super terrible cold. Cannot stop coughing every time I try to talk, nose is garbage. Tired and weak etc. Coughed up a lung in front of a couple regular customers

Up(down?)side; got sent home from work and told not to come in for work tomorrow. I guess I still have PTO time. Hopefully a little... Can't afford unpaid days off that's for damn sure
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:07:36 pm by Eric Blank »
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Pathos alt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: October 25, 2019, 05:26:18 pm »

Dammit, why do I not know how to have a five minute minor conversation
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: October 25, 2019, 05:53:17 pm »

I have this problem too. I have better luck joining existing conversations than starting new ones. Make sure you say something that is on topic with the conversation. The converters will let you know if they want you to join by either ignoring what you said, asking you to leave, responding to what you said, or asking your name. The first two were for if they donít want you to join, the last two were for if they accept your join attempt. Did this help?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Pathos alt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: October 25, 2019, 05:58:49 pm »

I have this problem too. I have better luck joining existing conversations than starting new ones. Make sure you say something that is on topic with the conversation. The converters will let you know if they want you to join by either ignoring what you said, asking you to leave, responding to what you said, or asking your name. The first two were for if they donít want you to join, the last two were for if they accept your join attempt. Did this help?

Thank you for the info!

What about joining existing conversations where everyone involved is acquainted with me - since, naturally, they won't be asking my name?
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: October 25, 2019, 06:11:15 pm »

Thank you for the info!

What about joining existing conversations where everyone involved is acquainted with me - since, naturally, they won't be asking my name?
Ah, if they wish for you to join, they will likely respond to what you said. I learned how to converse by listening to others converse, though you have to be careful about which conversations you attempt to join, responding to some conversations where the participants donít want new converters is called eavesdropping, which I learned in middle school on a bus. Apparently Iíve been ďeavesdroppingĒ for a while. I thought it was normal to listen to conversations, the 4 in the previous post were merely examples, there are more ways they can let you know, subtle ways like the tone that they respond to you with, or something. If you are unsure whether they gave a signal for you to join, you could do another response, and if they want you to leave they will give a less subtle signal. Signals that indicate that you can join could include literally expanding the circle, as people tend to conversate in a way that allows everyone to see each other, which usually results in a circle of people sitting/standing facing each other while talking. If they want you to join, some can move farther apart so that you can integrate yourself in the circle and continue responding. It is good to listen to get an idea of what the conversation is about. Topics can change wildly within the same conversation, so you must always be listening and responding accordingly. If any of this confusing let me know which parts are confusing so I can explain it better. Sometimes I am bad at explaining things so it helps to know what parts are confusing so I can explain those parts better.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: October 25, 2019, 07:42:09 pm »

Thank you for the info!

Ah, if they wish for you to join, they will likely respond to what you said. I learned how to converse by listening to others converse, though you have to be careful about which conversations you attempt to join, responding to some conversations where the participants donít want new converters is called eavesdropping, which I learned in middle school on a bus. Apparently Iíve been ďeavesdroppingĒ for a while. I thought it was normal to listen to conversations, the 4 in the previous post were merely examples, there are more ways they can let you know, subtle ways like the tone that they respond to you with, or something. If you are unsure whether they gave a signal for you to join, you could do another response, and if they want you to leave they will give a less subtle signal. Signals that indicate that you can join could include literally expanding the circle, as people tend to conversate in a way that allows everyone to see each other, which usually results in a circle of people sitting/standing facing each other while talking. If they want you to join, some can move farther apart so that you can integrate yourself in the circle and continue responding. It is good to listen to get an idea of what the conversation is about. Topics can change wildly within the same conversation, so you must always be listening and responding accordingly. If any of this confusing let me know which parts are confusing so I can explain it better. Sometimes I am bad at explaining things so it helps to know what parts are confusing so I can explain those parts better.
I feel like this is exactly how one should explain this topic to an alien species that do not converse like humans tbh... which is probably a good thing

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: October 25, 2019, 08:14:45 pm »

I tend to not use visual cues since I have a visual impairment, hence why the advice I gave doesnít focus on visual cues as much as audio. I am glad this helped.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: October 26, 2019, 05:33:01 am »

If you attempt to join a conversation and the other parties seem hesitant to include you, that is a good time to clink your drink against everyone's to win them over, I've found.

Also, starting conversations is easy: just ask them what band they're there to see, if they're in one of the bands, or what they're drinking and how much it costs!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr Harr Fiddldy Dee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: October 26, 2019, 09:58:25 am »

I tend to not use visual cues since I have a visual impairment, hence why the advice I gave doesnít focus on visual cues as much as audio. I am glad this helped.

I see poorly enough without glasses to not clearly recognize faces more than 30 or so feet out.  10 meters for the euronerds.
.Sobin high school i refused to wear glasses because they're uncomfortable and for nerds, and my eyes were too beautiful to use contacts.  I relied upon visual cues like clothing, posture, etc to tell people apart.  I've got a bit of a nack for visual communication now as a result.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: October 26, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »

Ah, you know how people tend to say eye contact is important? Well really itís face contest. I have trouble seeing the eyes unless I get close to people, so I look in their direction. Itís looking in their direction and focusing on the face that is important. Not necessarily the eyes. The glasses I had didnít really help with vision, they were more for protection. I eventually stopped wearing them since they just get dirty plus it feels good not having glasses. I focus on posture as well. I took an Intro to Psychology class in high school where I learned that facial expressions can be misleading, specifically smiles. Smiles can mean lots of different things. Also the tone of voice can be harder to mask than facial expressions. I find tone to be a more reliable indicator of emotion than the face. I know from experience that it takes more effort to change voice tone than it does to alter the face, which is another reason why I use audio rather than facial, other than itís easier for me to hear than it is to see. Speaking of not seeing faces as well,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: October 26, 2019, 12:35:57 pm »

None of them looks particularly British ;)

Do having problems reading faces transfer to problems reading smileys and emoticons and such? Or are they too exaggerated to be an issue?  :) :) :) :-X :-X :-X 8) 8) 8)
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: October 26, 2019, 12:37:18 pm »

clearly.  Roboto-san is totally the right-most, in-focus subject of that picture. It's a gynoid, with a symmetric bob auburn hairstyle.  Nasty plastic skin. bleh.

Part of the problem with these humanoid robots is that the designers do not include normal human imperfections.  real humans are not perfectly symmetrical around the lateral axis, for instance. There are subtle differences, and if you MAKE a person symmetrical (such as via a mirror, or using photoshop) the resulting image triggers uncanny valley. These robots NEED skin blemishes. They NEED odd little bits of pink vein to show. They NEED irregularities in skin texture, and with bits of peachfuzz on the cheeks, etc.  Without them, the robots look very strange.  Don't get me started about the facial movements either. We are a long way away from being able to properly articulate a face's movement, even with things like air-muscles, or memory metal actuators. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: October 26, 2019, 12:53:06 pm »

None of those triggers uncanny valley in me. The only one that stands out is the right side of woman number one but still not in the  uncanny valley sense, just as unsightly to look at.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 543