Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 840360 times)

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6540 on: November 08, 2019, 02:55:02 pm »

Now I’m tempted to make a transparent picture for my rotations
(I didn't know before today, that images can be transparent here lol) That would be pretty interesting to see, maybe one for lightling and one for darkling?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: November 08, 2019, 05:33:28 pm »

Co-worker left today, found a better job. Now, we didn't interact all that much since she was head of QA and I'm in manufacture but when our shifts did coincide we were within shouting distance more or less. Anyways, aside from being fairly cute the best thing about her was that she had a wonderful smile and more importantly would smile often. A simple wave and a smile when passing by or stopping for a quick chat, and that was pretty much enough to brighten an otherwise shitty day.

So yeah, no more of that I guess :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: November 10, 2019, 12:08:34 am »

I got so pissed off at the Honor 6x that I had to take a break from trying to fix it.

It turns out that the way to enter fastboot is to hold Vol. Down during startup AND have it plugged in. It's really strange, given that most other phones just need the former.

Recovery's so crippled that there isn't an option to flash updates from SD card. I know this is the same company that refuses to let you unlock your bootloader, but still, what were they thinking?

This thing is capable of ADB in recovery, but:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\[USERNAME]>adb devices
List of devices attached
[SERIAL NUMBER]        unauthorized

Hence:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]>adb reboot fastboot
error: device unauthorized.
This adbd's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set; try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

I'd have to enable USB debugging, but that needs me to boot into the system normally, which I can't do.

Try something like--

fastboot getvar all

for example, to test if the connection is hot.

I entered fastboot, and I got this:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]>fastboot getvar all
getvar:all FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: -0.000s
Not too exciting, but I guess it works?

Also, on the topic of flashing the stock ROM from the SD card, I haven't had any luck doing that. Not even something resembling a step in the right direction.

As far as I know, I'm SOL. Maybe there's some way to flash the stock ROM directly through fastboot, rather than using some proprietary software? That, or I should cut my losses and tell him to take it to a service center.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: November 10, 2019, 08:46:07 am »

If you have 12.12 million dollars and put it in a savings account with a fixed 1% yearly interest rate, you'd have $10000 per month to spend. That's enough money per month to rent a NYC luxury apartment; pay for electricity, water, food, and gas; and still have $2000 left over to spend however you wish with a $1000 emergency buffer.

With 100 million dollars, you wouldn't even have to worry about a 2% yearly inflation rate for a century.

With 1 billion dollars, you could have an interest rate as low as 0.1%, and still be certain to have at least $10000 per month for a century.

And rich people still thinks it's not enough.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: November 10, 2019, 09:29:48 am »

and still have $2000 left over to spend however you wish
Sounds like one evening of eating out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6545 on: November 10, 2019, 09:43:12 am »

That $2000 is well over the entire salary for a high-skill job I'm looking at, too! And by well over I mean as much as double depending on the exchange rate.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: November 10, 2019, 09:55:48 am »

I got so pissed off at the Honor 6x that I had to take a break from trying to fix it.

It turns out that the way to enter fastboot is to hold Vol. Down during startup AND have it plugged in. It's really strange, given that most other phones just need the former.

Recovery's so crippled that there isn't an option to flash updates from SD card. I know this is the same company that refuses to let you unlock your bootloader, but still, what were they thinking?

This thing is capable of ADB in recovery, but:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]>adb devices
List of devices attached
[SERIAL NUMBER]        unauthorized

Hence:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]>adb reboot fastboot
error: device unauthorized.
This adbd's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set; try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

I'd have to enable USB debugging, but that needs me to boot into the system normally, which I can't do.

Try something like--

fastboot getvar all

for example, to test if the connection is hot.

I entered fastboot, and I got this:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]>fastboot getvar all
getvar:all FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: -0.000s
Not too exciting, but I guess it works?

Also, on the topic of flashing the stock ROM from the SD card, I haven't had any luck doing that. Not even something resembling a step in the right direction.

As far as I know, I'm SOL. Maybe there's some way to flash the stock ROM directly through fastboot, rather than using some proprietary software? That, or I should cut my losses and tell him to take it to a service center.

If fastboot works (eg, is responding to the request), then you can do the flash right there.

try

fastboot devices

first, to make sure the device is responding. (it should report a device, and that it is in fastboot mode)

if it does, then you can attempt to flash the system image with

fastboot flash system [nameofimage]

I would personally at least *ATTEMPT* to boot the image to test it before flashing though.

fastboot boot nameofimage

What that does, is copy the image to the device's RAM, and boot from there.  It might be possible to unbork the system with an OTA update then, or to set OEM UNLOCK mode, or the like.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:57:38 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: November 10, 2019, 03:15:09 pm »

My head's got me a bit fucked up, and I'm trying to make it be slightly less fucky and slightly more unfucky.

I don't even know where to start with how dumb and weird this situation is, or why I've got such a gargantuan hard-on for red flags.

Oh, as an aside, just got back from a 7-hour overbooked family gathering/tween birthday today. I am *exhausted*.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: November 10, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »

If fastboot works (eg, is responding to the request), then you can do the flash right there.

try

fastboot devices

first, to make sure the device is responding. (it should report a device, and that it is in fastboot mode)

E:\platform-tools>fastboot flash system update.zip
Invalid sparse file format at header magic
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1281807093 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 809951989 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 338096885 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
Sending sparse 'system' 1/4 (460796 KB)            error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1281807093 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1281807093 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
OKAY [ 11.974s]
Writing 'system'                                   FAILED (remote: 'Command not allowed')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I would personally at least *ATTEMPT* to boot the image to test it before flashing though.

What that does, is copy the image to the device's RAM, and boot from there.  It might be possible to unbork the system with an OTA update then, or to set OEM UNLOCK mode, or the like.

E:\platform-tools>fastboot boot update.zip
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 1753665536 bytes
Sending 'boot.img' (1712564 KB)                    FAILED (remote: 'data too large')

I think what's happening here is that the update comes in this gigantic zip file disguised as an .APP file. Extracting it reveals a whole bunch of .img files (boot.img, fastboot.img, system.img and so on). What if I were to flash those instead?

Edit: Trying to copy the system.img from this thing yields an 'unexpected end of data' from 7-Zip.
Edit 2: In general, extracting it yields 4 'unexpected end of data' errors before it gives up. Retrying with a different firmware...
Edit 3: No luck. Oh well. While I'm in here, though, I decided to examine it a little. It seems that the way that everything's ordered is actually important. Sorting by ascending offset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I guess that the ends of file are used to signal to the proprietary app/phone that something is done?
Edit 4: Forgot to mention, every attempt to flash this thing yields FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:43:04 pm by methylatedspirit »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: November 11, 2019, 04:30:02 pm »

Friend of mine sack tapped me today.

He did it because I poo poo'd a piece of art he'd done, which at the time I didn't know was his.

His reaction was to say nothing then hit me in the nuts when I wasn't looking.

This is the second time in our friendship he's done this. We're both over the age of 30.

Not gonna lie, I was seconds away from grabbing him by the hair and punching in the face until I saw blood.

But being that we were at work, I didn't feel like losing my job over it.

How fucking juvenile. How fucking insecure. "Well you duh duh duh duh...."

"Did I touch you? Have I EVER touched you?"

"Well no."

"And did I not tell you the last time you did this that it fucking pissed me off and made me want to murder you?"

"Well yeah but...."

"Then grow up you fucking manlet. If you can't take criticism without nut punching someone, then you're an insecure little bitch."

I love my friend but I swear to God Almighty that the next time he does this, I'm going to immediately respond with my fists. Twice is one times too many to have to tell someone to keep their fucking hands off me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:32:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: November 11, 2019, 04:31:17 pm »

The last time someone did that, I did punch them. They got fussy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: November 11, 2019, 04:33:00 pm »

The first time his ex-wife was standing there and she legitimately thought I was going to kill him, I was that angry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: November 12, 2019, 07:41:19 am »

Sack tap sounds sexual.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: November 12, 2019, 08:01:01 am »

try

fastboot devices

E:\platform-tools>fastboot flash system update.zip
Invalid sparse file format at header magic
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 809951989 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 338096885 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
Sending sparse 'system' 1/4 (460796 KB)            error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1281807093 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
OKAY [ 11.974s]
Writing 'system'                                   FAILED (remote: 'Command not allowed')

E:\platform-tools>fastboot boot update.zip
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 1753665536 bytes
Sending 'boot.img' (1712564 KB)                    FAILED (remote: 'data too large')

I think what's happening here is that the update comes in this gigantic zip file disguised as an .APP file. Extracting it reveals a whole bunch of .img files (boot.img, fastboot.img, system.img and so on). What if I were to flash those instead?

Edit: Trying to copy the system.img from this thing yields an 'unexpected end of data' from 7-Zip.
Edit 2: In general, extracting it yields 4 'unexpected end of data' errors before it gives up. Retrying with a different firmware...
Edit 3: No luck. Oh well. While I'm in here, though, I decided to examine it a little. It seems that the way that everything's ordered is actually important. Sorting by ascending offset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I guess that the ends of file are used to signal to the proprietary app/phone that something is done?
Edit 4: Forgot to mention, every attempt to flash this thing yields FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

The boot loader is locked / the flash operation is disabled (because of this lock).

Again, try BOOTING the system.img instead.  This copies it to RAM, which should be permitted, even if FLASH is not.  That should get the device to start, and let you turn on OEM options like unlocking the boot loader. Possibly let you do an OTA update.

Flashable zip files are used by recoveries.  Fastboot uses the naked partition images. (system.img, recovery.img. etc..)

Here is what I would personally try--

1) Boot the system.img with fastboot.  See if I could get to developer options and enable OEM UNLOCK.
2) Look for a twrp for this phone. Boot it with fastboot.
3) Use that TWRP to flash the flashable zip, and restore the phone.
4) restart phone, hopefully profit.

Failing that, one could ... TRY... to unlock the bootloader in fastboot. Probably wont work but it might.

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flashing unlock

then flash system.img
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:20:15 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: November 12, 2019, 08:18:06 am »

The boot loader is locked / the flash operation is disabled (because of this lock).

Again, try BOOTING the system.img instead.  This copies it to RAM, which should be permitted, even if FLASH is not.  That should get the device to start, and let you turn on OEM options like unlocking the boot loader. Possibly let you do an OTA update.

Flashable zip files are used by recoveries.  Fastboot uses the naked partition images. (system.img, recovery.img. etc..)
I forgot to say this, but I already handed it back to my friend and told him to take it to a repair shop. He did, and now it's basically fixed for far less than the phone's worth. At least my diagnosis was correct (corrupted firmware or something to that effect).

I couldn't get the system.img in full, since the archive (the .app file) couldn't extract properly, instead ending in an 'unexpected end of file' error every time.

Need I remind you that you can't unlock the bootloader on Huawei/Honor devices anymore? (At least, not officially; they don't provide bootloader unlock codes anymore)
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 775