Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 833781 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6675 on: December 10, 2019, 10:15:48 am »

I hear handstands are effective.

Of course they are, but I'm not that desperate yet.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: December 10, 2019, 10:33:54 am »

You could always try inversion instead...

(ducks)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: December 10, 2019, 11:54:18 am »

Need to start going to the gym and/or pool once or twice a week I think. Of course, thinking about it is easy, doubt I'll bring myself to do anything on a regular basis.

Your mentality about it is important. If there's hard work to be done and you tell yourself from the outset you probably won't do it.....you probably won't do it.

Everyone gets weaker as they get older. Bad posture combined with repetitive stress injury from our jobs and our habits over half a life time just makes that worse. Going to the gym for corrective work is just as important as going to get stronger, look better, feel better, etc....I solved a lot of my posture-related aches and pains, particularly in my shoulders, by doing face pulls twice a week.

Cmon over to the Fitness Thread!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:13:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: December 11, 2019, 03:01:39 am »

I won't just probably not do it, I'll just won't do it too
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: December 11, 2019, 03:29:24 am »

So... if things abroad stay frozen by midjanuary, I think I'll dump my current post and go home to wait. And there I'll see if I get some contract at home in the meanwhile, do some course, or take a long delayed holiday
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: December 11, 2019, 05:58:47 am »

I got excited to play The Elder Scrolls Travels games, after realizing that such a thing was indeed possible.

Dawnstar and Stormhold are garbage. Absolute rotting garbage. They're like unlicensed NES games. I'm not going to go to the effort of playing Shadowkey or Oblivion Mobile any time soon, but I imagine they're much the same.

And yet somebody loved these games enough to create unofficial Russian translations, which I downloaded by accident. "Jedi Luke," what led you to inflict this on your countrymen?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: December 11, 2019, 07:46:42 am »

Hmm, they're more like Eye of the Beholder than any Elder Scrolls game, but they're extremely shitty versions of Eye of the Beholder games. You can play the Beholder games on DosBox on Android, plays pretty well since it's mouse only and you can configure touch screen with them. I used DosBox Turbo

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: December 11, 2019, 01:37:05 pm »

And yet somebody loved these games enough to create unofficial Russian translations, which I downloaded by accident. "Jedi Luke," what led you to inflict this on your countrymen?
What an amusingly uncreative username, too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: December 11, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »

You know, I think I have a problem of feeling animosity towards people that had a better, easier life than me. I got loaned a book "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch, about a man that has terminal, inoperable pancreatic cancer that is set to kill him in a few months, and the book recounts his life and the things he learned. By the end of the book I hated this man, his life was fucking fantastic from beginning to end: Awesome parents, healthily moneyed middle class suburbanite, actual real friends and role models, cool relatives that are well-connected that can get him an interview with the head of a college he wants to go to, gets to go to that college, has no problems in his social life, just has a natural magnetic romance with his wife that he wins over easily and has no problems with, has awesome kids, gets to work at Disney Land as an Imagineer making rides, and is just loved  by everyone as an amazing guy.

So yeah, from my perspective, this man might as well have won every single lottery he ever participated in; he won so many lotteries he even won the negative lottery of getting super lethal cancer that cut his awesome life short. You'd think that'd balance it out in my mind, as all his bad luck was apparently backloaded to when he was almost 50, but even that was kinda lucky! His death was certain, but he got enough time to put all his affairs in order, say goodbye to everyone, make this book, and then meet death with a smile on his face. He got to go out on top! There wasn't the tragic, certain descent into decrepitude with the withering of one's faculties, seeing one's loved ones pass away, getting shelved away by your children into a nursing home, and then dying in a feeble, barely-human state of semi-consciousness; it was on his own terms, with all his happiness intact and uncorrupted.

It's shameful to say, but I was so angry and hateful reading this book, I couldn't contain myself at all. I just can't stop the feeling of hostility towards people that got a deal in life that was so much easier and better than anything I'll ever even be able to dream about. I'm not trying to be an asshole, that's just how I felt: like an asshole that wanted to tear someone down just for being happy. Can't say I like that about myself.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: December 11, 2019, 02:18:56 pm »

I mean, that sounds natural.

It doesn't sound like you're mad at him per se, you're maybe mad at your own circumstances and/or the people in your life that caused you to be where you are, and stories about people like Mr. Book Guy make you think about it. Probably forces you think about it more closely/unavoidably/intimately than one would normally.

Doesn't mean you're a bad person at all. The trick is to be aware of where the anger is really coming from and where you should really be directing it. That way people who don't deserve it (people who just happened to luck into more in their life) don't get angried at. Easier said than done, but it's good to put a face to the problem as it were.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: December 12, 2019, 03:41:58 pm »

Steak umms is getting in on the whole "pretend not to be a soulless megacorp by asking for memes on Twitter" bandwagon.

Oh boy, I wonder if Wendy's is gonna @ them with some "epic shade."

Advertising needs to die.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: December 12, 2019, 05:15:21 pm »

We had an unscheduled company call today, which I assumed was going to mean we were being acquired by another company.  That would suck.

Instead, we learned that about 20% of the company was being laid off.  2 weeks before Christmas.

I wasn't affected, nor were my direct coworkers or direct managers, but this still really sucks.  It's also put a sour taste in my mouth for the CEO that took over less than a year ago, since I'm pretty sure this was at his direction in an attempt to maximize profits despite the fact that company was already profitable.  Projections for next year looked less stellar, but this still feels excessive, with some very long term and experienced employees being let go in departments where their replacements aren't clear.

It's a shame I don't drink.  This week and entire quarter has really sucked at work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: December 12, 2019, 05:31:55 pm »

an attempt to maximize profits despite the fact that company was already profitable.  Projections for next year looked less stellar, but this still feels excessive,
this is the entire point of capitalism

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: December 12, 2019, 06:47:58 pm »

an attempt to maximize profits despite the fact that company was already profitable.  Projections for next year looked less stellar, but this still feels excessive,
this is the entire point of capitalism
And the reason it will collapse. A system that relies on constant growth when resources are finite will eventually collapse

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: December 12, 2019, 06:58:06 pm »

Advertising is why we have a large chunk of the things we enjoy, and why we also hate a large chunk of things.

When someone can explain a way for people to make money at their business without asking the people consuming their product to pay money especially for it, we can get away from advertising. But this was the crux of my education in journalism: advertising pays the bills. Because while everyone said a newspaper is a good thing for the most part, almost no one was willing to pay for it. Including me. When NYT and everyone else started pay walling their stories online, guess what? I just stopped considering them a news source. I might read it if it's laying around in a coffee shop or office; I like reading newspapers. But PAY for it? Oh no.

How many people actually pay for Youtube Red? Or whatever their premium service is these days? Why would they when there's so much other good content for F R E E.

The only other solution is the people who control things to accept less profit, and we all know that isn't going to happen except by directly impacting the people they pay wages to.

We really need something to reset the bar on expectations in this country, but as great as that sounds no one would escape it. Everyone would have to dial back their expectations and their wealth. The only way for everyone to be happy is for no one to be happy, because that means fundamentally changing the way we've done business and think about success in this country for the last 60 or so years, at least.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:02:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 774