Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 836380 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6705 on: December 15, 2019, 03:32:32 pm »

I quit my job. I was growing increasingly frustrated so I kind of had to. Even so it always makes one uneasy

I handwrote a resignation letter today for my job. I have it hidden away in my work-cubby. My friend wants to reassure me that I just need a two-week vacation; I really couldn't get a word in edgewise as to how I feel I'm wasting my life and that I'm certain to disintegrate psychologically over time, and that I'm already disintegrating. She's very well-meaning though, she doesn't want me to cast myself out into joblessness without a plan, when that's exactly what I want to do, as I want to establish a new baseline of living for myself before making another move; and she's worried that I'll waste all the seniority and shit I've built up over the years, though I don't really give a fuck about that I'm in a deadend job anyway.  *(EDIT: To be clear, I have 10k in the bank, so I definitely could live on my own for a while)*

Also, I can't help but think that that is very cowardly logic, and that if I'm going to do anything I need to throw what is logically the "good, safe idea" and just destroy my own identity. I can't do that with safe, step-by-step, methodologic planning; I need the force of suddenly, intense change to do that, to shatter who I am, so I can become someone else. Naturally I can't think of something like that to say in the middle of a conversation, but that's how I was feeling, and I couldn't really retort her optimistic reassurances except with an exasperated "....huh...". She really does want to give support, and she intuits that my motivations are partly suicidal, which they definitely are, so I can't be upset at her.

Still have this resignation letter, and thinking what to do with it, and I just hate the idea of taking things slow, I want my future in my hands right fucking now goddamnit.

Well, you don’t need to do anything that drastic. You have the pennies to survive joblessness for a time, but... you don’t need to be jobless immediately to change anything.

Equally so, your job is not your identity. What you do doesn’t have any bearing on who you are, unless you want it to.

If you’ve truly given up on your job, you look for another one. If you’re not sure what industry you want to work in, research. What do you enjoy doing is a good start. What happened to the careers dude you were seeing?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: December 15, 2019, 11:07:33 pm »

Perhaps the better question(s) would be why you think taking such drastic action is necessary to achieve your future in your hands right now (and what that would entail)?

Why you think you doing so will make you a completely different person?

Why do you think being a completely different person is desirable?

Is it even achievable? I mean, you’re you. You’re always going to be you. What joy will it bring you being not-you? What even is not-you?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: December 16, 2019, 11:35:02 am »

Nexus is really going out of it's way trying to nag their free users into buying a subscription. I understand that they have have expenses to meet, but throwing three different messages about "how much better it would be if you subscribe" before each and every download, is just petty!

If they no longer want or can't support free users then they should just make it a subscription-only service and be done with it.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: December 16, 2019, 04:59:46 pm »

I play Warped, so when I first read Nexus, I immediately thought of the Uploxed. What kind of stuff is downloaded on the real Nexus?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: December 16, 2019, 05:12:49 pm »

Mods for videogames.  It might be the single largest repository of player-made content on Earth.

As for their issues with free users, it probably has to do with the rise in adblocker usage.  I for one would whitelist them if they'd make sure that the ads being displayed aren't resource hogs, but they can't or won't, so they get adblocked.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:14:42 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: December 16, 2019, 05:36:15 pm »

Thats so true for so many websites. If the advertisers were trustworthy and their ads weren't obnoxious videos and gifs that insist on loading before everything else, I would gladly whitelist them. Hell, I might even occasionally purchase their products or visit their site. But no, they link to tracking cookies, virus downloads, pop ups and waste huge quantities of my data, which I have to pay for, and prevent my desired content from loading.

Really, it's always been the advertisers who shoot themselves in the foot
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:00:50 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: December 16, 2019, 06:03:47 pm »

So i went to go DL the latest version of DF, and it directs me to a 2018 released version?

Whats the deal?  Are the new developmentals moving strictly to a retail game?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: December 16, 2019, 06:05:22 pm »

So i went to go DL the latest version of DF, and it directs me to a 2018 released version?

Whats the deal?  Are the new developmentals moving strictly to a retail game?
Villains update, plus tileset release.

https://kitfoxgames.itch.io/dwarf-fortress
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: December 16, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »

there just hasn't been a release since then. It's still being worked on.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: December 16, 2019, 06:08:33 pm »

hunh.  So that happened.  Well, I know theyve planned it out to make the best of it, so good on them.  Would be happy to drop $20 on the game anywho
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: December 16, 2019, 07:41:18 pm »

My main phone's battery is pretty much dead. It sorta works; it thinks that it's charging all the time, the flashlight doesn't work, and the thing reports its health as "Unknown". At least I happen to have a spare phone to work with, so I'm not too upset.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: December 17, 2019, 04:19:16 am »

the thing reports its health as "Unknown".

same
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: December 17, 2019, 04:56:27 am »

Phone control to major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: December 17, 2019, 05:03:30 am »

either the cell is toast, or the charge logic is in a not-sane state.

try a battery callibration first.  if that does not work, yank the battery, wait a few minutes, then reconnect it.

if it persists, replace the battery.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: December 17, 2019, 05:26:18 am »

Ugh, I can't force myself to do anything productive. When I think about coding, writing, drawing or playing guitar, I just get this tired feeling in my bones.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 774