Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819935 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7305 on: April 13, 2020, 01:33:46 pm »

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: April 13, 2020, 06:17:03 pm »

What's making me a bit upset is that John Conway actually said that his Game of Life is not what he wanted to be remembered for. He made a lot of important contributions to group theory and he just saw this whole Game of Life thing as an amusement for his math column, which happened to blow up.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: April 13, 2020, 06:18:43 pm »

I didn’t know he did group theory, what were some of the contributions he made?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: April 13, 2020, 07:06:59 pm »

I'm not........ INTO math, shall we say? But I know he was an accomplished mathematician.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: April 13, 2020, 08:15:50 pm »

When I thought group theory, it made me think like, how do people interact in groups/how groups of people interact with other groups of people

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: April 13, 2020, 08:32:43 pm »

That's just called sociology/economics, isn't it? Group theory is more abstract than that. I can't really do justice to how complex and far-reaching group theory is in math, since I barely understand it myself, unfortunately.

Can someone more familiar with group theory explain what it is?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:23 pm »

A group is about linking some set of things with an operator that satisfies a few properties. Two elements together need to result in another element in the group; there needs to be an identity element that does nothing to the other elements; each element needs to have a unique inverse that results in that identity element; and the operation needs to be associative.

An example would be Z5* = { 1, 2, 3, 4 } under multiplication modulo 5. The inverse in this group of 3 for example is 2 (2 * 3 = 6 -> 1 mod 5). But if you looked at Z4* = { 1, 2, 3 } under multiplication, you'd find it isn't a group. With 2, for example, there's no inverse (2*1 = 2, 2*2 = 0, 2*3 = 2, and 2*2 = 0 isn't in the set).

It's not just numbers; there's all sorts of interesting groups describing things like rotations and transformations of geometric objects, certain matrices, and roots of unity, or zillions of other things.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:37:21 pm by WealthyRadish »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: April 13, 2020, 09:40:15 pm »

What's making me a bit upset is that John Conway actually said that his Game of Life is not what he wanted to be remembered for. He made a lot of important contributions to group theory and he just saw this whole Game of Life thing as an amusement for his math column, which happened to blow up.

I'm still trying to figure out if I was supposed to care about the boops or the beeps in the game.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: April 14, 2020, 12:00:00 am »

I'm still trying to figure out if I was supposed to care about the boops or the beeps in the game.

You're meant to focus on getting a high score.

EDIT: that reminds of an anti-video-game thing. A while back one of the reviewers for the Silent Hill movie said that the only thing good about the movie was the soundtrack, which replaced the "beeps and boops" of the video game. In fact, the music was directly lifted out of one of the games. That's what happens when you get an older movie reviewer reviewing something based on a modern game and they haven't seen a video game since Pac Man.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:11:00 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: April 14, 2020, 01:16:21 am »

TFW "a while back" is twenty years ago :P
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: April 14, 2020, 02:35:30 am »

That's when the games came out, not the movie. That was 2006. Closer to a decade ago, not 20 years.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: April 14, 2020, 09:16:59 pm »

A group is about linking some set of things with an operator that satisfies a few properties. Two elements together need to result in another element in the group; there needs to be an identity element that does nothing to the other elements; each element needs to have a unique inverse that results in that identity element; and the operation needs to be associative.

An example would be Z5* = { 1, 2, 3, 4 } under multiplication modulo 5. The inverse in this group of 3 for example is 2 (2 * 3 = 6 -> 1 mod 5). But if you looked at Z4* = { 1, 2, 3 } under multiplication, you'd find it isn't a group. With 2, for example, there's no inverse (2*1 = 2, 2*2 = 0, 2*3 = 2, and 2*2 = 0 isn't in the set).

It's not just numbers; there's all sorts of interesting groups describing things like rotations and transformations of geometric objects, certain matrices, and roots of unity, or zillions of other things.

Yeah. There are also other forms of algebraic structures in abstract algebra, such as rings (two operations, + and *, with + commutativity; +,* associativity; * over + distributivity; and +,* identity) and fields (rings with * inverses), among many others.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: April 15, 2020, 05:35:23 pm »

I am mildly upset by the fact that "So..." seems to have become a commonly acceptable way to start a sentence.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 771