Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 840977 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7335 on: April 16, 2020, 12:25:58 pm »

Also, "two straights"? What does that mean?

Pretty sure they just mean a heterosexual couple.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: April 16, 2020, 12:39:08 pm »

Homosexuals can seduce men in CK2, so bisexuals could be relevant, although how they wouldn't just be more OP than homosexuals is a question. Likewise, Asexuals likely couldn't seduce anyone, or have a low modifier to it. Not sure though.

I thought characters in ck2 could only seduce people of the same sexuality of themselves? For example, homosexual men could only seduce homosexual men. I usually only go seduction when I end up with female ruler since it's such a good way to counteract the female ruler malus.

Also, "two straights"? What does that mean?

The two straight sexualities: Straight heterosexual and straight homosexual. Absolutely no bees involved.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: April 16, 2020, 12:48:23 pm »

Homosexuals can seduce men in CK2, so bisexuals could be relevant, although how they wouldn't just be more OP than homosexuals is a question. Likewise, Asexuals likely couldn't seduce anyone, or have a low modifier to it. Not sure though.
I thought characters in ck2 could only seduce people of the same sexuality of themselves? For example, homosexual men could only seduce homosexual men. I usually only go seduction when I end up with female ruler since it's such a good way to counteract the female ruler malus.
Okay, I said that wrong, but what I meant was bisexuality would have more relevance than just fertility percentage, since they could maybe seduce everyone with a compatible orientation, while asexuals could seduce no one.
That sounds like bisexuality would be automatically better than homosexuality though, and asexuality is a straight up bad thing, so no idea how it could be improved to be more balanced.
It should be noted I did not read the CK3 dev log, and I have played very little CK2 for myself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:50:12 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: April 16, 2020, 01:07:29 pm »

I didn't read it, but giving children sexual preferences does seem .... off putting.

It seems like the sort of thing you could have get revealed slowly over time. Like identifying a weapon in a roguelike by using it repeatedly.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: April 16, 2020, 06:03:45 pm »

I kinda wanted to go on there and correct some of the incredulous-seeming people just in case they were truly confused, but I saw a couple cases of them going rabid on their own alt-right members over misunderstandings.  Besides, the *complete* lack of comments calling the article out on its dishonesty suggests that it's very heavily moderated.  Which makes the literal Nazi image spam all the more telling.

There's not going to be any children in sexual situations in CK3, fucking obviously.  But this article made a purposely vague statement that could be taken that way, so it was taken that way.

I can be pretty obstinate about this kind of issue, I know, so I *try* to keep an open mind.  I'm pretty sure I don't approach such depths of hatred and, more importantly, dishonesty.  It's depressing seeing them lap it up.  I wish they were as rational as they probably think they are, so we could learn from each other.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: April 16, 2020, 07:51:41 pm »

I kinda wanted to go on there and correct some of the incredulous-seeming people just in case they were truly confused, but I saw a couple cases of them going rabid on their own alt-right members over misunderstandings.  Besides, the *complete* lack of comments calling the article out on its dishonesty suggests that it's very heavily moderated.  Which makes the literal Nazi image spam all the more telling.

There's not going to be any children in sexual situations in CK3, fucking obviously.  But this article made a purposely vague statement that could be taken that way, so it was taken that way.

I can be pretty obstinate about this kind of issue, I know, so I *try* to keep an open mind.  I'm pretty sure I don't approach such depths of hatred and, more importantly, dishonesty.  It's depressing seeing them lap it up.  I wish they were as rational as they probably think they are, so we could learn from each other.
To be fair, it is a somewhat darker medieval game, so it's not necessarily the case that there's not going to be any children in sexual situations in CK3.
However, nothing he stated suggested that the dev log actually said anything like that would in fact happen.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: April 16, 2020, 09:12:45 pm »

CK is darker relative to what? Like, I’ve put over a thousand hours into it, and you can murder children (and also be murdered by children!) but the sex side of it is quite heavily glossed over, regardless of your ability to seduce your family.

There are certain things game devs can do, reasonably, but I don’t think paedophila falls into that categorely.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: April 17, 2020, 12:03:10 am »

Yeah that doesn't seem to be something that would be added or anyone would want to add. There's more than enough ways for an evil character to happen in CK already, no real need to go into anything like that. Would it possibly more realistic? Sure, but I'd rather not it be something I have to deal with in CK3 tbh. Don't really need the Lives of the Twelve Caesars-esque gratuitous detail into vile acts in my sorta dark grand strategy horse marriage simulator.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: April 17, 2020, 02:37:33 am »

It should also be noted that the apparent age of the character model used in the screenshot does not necessarily match the age of the character. In CK2 they used the same pictures for children regardless of whether they're newborn or 15.99 years old. Most of the childhood events involving romance or sexuality all happen during the teen years, but the character still has the child portrait for them. If you didn't know the character were older, it could look very weird with how the seemingly-from-their-portrait-6-or-7-year-old-child character is getting an event about lusting after the blacksmith's daughter.

It should also be noted that all of said childhood events involving romance or sexuality are very coy about it in an innocent "schoolboy crush" kind of way. I don't think for a moment that this move for ck3 will involve children having sex and even less so paedophilia. It's an outlandish jump-of-conclusion that that article writer makes.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: April 17, 2020, 02:58:33 am »

I don't think for a moment that this move for ck3 will involve children having sex and even less so paedophilia. It's an outlandish jump-of-conclusion that that article writer makes.
Glitterhoof is still my waifu though.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: April 17, 2020, 04:02:44 pm »

Is it bad that I cannot follow Intel processor codenames at all? Tell me, what generation does Sandy Bridge refer to? No clue? What about Apollo Lake? Whiskey Lake? Broadwell? No, seriously. What's the damn point of these codenames? And the hell only begins, those are the well-known ones. How about Crystal Well? Arrandale? Devil's Canyon? Fuck do any of these mean? I call bullshit on Intel saying "formerly", since they still give codenames to the new ones. Seriously. Why. Who wants this. It's cooler this way, but good fucking luck trying to figure out which one is which!

Seriously, fuck these things. Just no. Get the absolute fuck out of here. And why do some people insist on referring to the processors by their codenames only anyway? What's wrong with just saying nth Generation and their class (i3, i5, i7, etc), for example, 4th gen i5? Failing that, why not just the model number? Cool factor? Maybe it would be cooler to know what the hell you're talking about.

Look, I just hate it whenever things are obfuscated behind unnecessary codenames that serve no purpose but to be fluff. I just have shit memory in general, so every single unit of memory counts. I routinely forget the names of people, so much so that it's some kind of honor when I do remember them. I envy people with better memory who can store these things in memory without banging their heads against the wall.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: April 17, 2020, 04:45:15 pm »

Maybe it's because it makes the names more memorable and less technical, so it's more conducive to brand-making. It's easier to talk about the latest Broadwell rather than "gen 5.6 build 192329.3192329."

I've noticed the math, engineering, science types tend towards ridiculously generic names (Extremely Large Telescope? Really?) so I have a feeling the sand-benders and polygon-pushers didn't come up with this one, but rather it was a product of the marketing department.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:47:07 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: April 17, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »

It's probably the same in lots of industries. Crap, in a stupid low-tech recreational vehicle engineering job I had to deal with meaningless code-names for products... how about "teacup" for an air conditioner? They seemed to want to hide the identity of projects from the competition. As if any of the outdated tech was worth trying to steal in the first place. Haha!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: April 17, 2020, 10:03:49 pm »

My phone (an LG V20) packed it in yesterday.
After all the effort I've gone to getting replacement batteries for the damn thing... seems kinda doubtful that it'll bounce back from this one. The screen appears to be fucked but I've no idea if that's all it is. Before that happened it had already started refusing to charge.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:20 pm »

Did you have a case?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 775