Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819885 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7350 on: April 18, 2020, 07:27:48 am »

Dammit windows 10!  How can you screw up something so basic?

I had a USB headset plugged in for work.  Then after work I unplugged them and plugged in some regular wired headphones.  Now if I don't have the wired headphones plugged in, I get "audio renderer error".  The solution is to "reboot and update your drivers."

WTF!?  Why do people pay money for this crap? And why isn't there anything better?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: April 18, 2020, 08:36:52 am »

Maybe it's because it makes the names more memorable and less technical, so it's more conducive to brand-making. It's easier to talk about the latest Broadwell rather than "gen 5.6 build 192329.3192329."

I've noticed the math, engineering, science types tend towards ridiculously generic names (Extremely Large Telescope? Really?) so I have a feeling the sand-benders and polygon-pushers didn't come up with this one, but rather it was a product of the marketing department.

Nah, Intel uses a zillion codenames for different things, very few of which ever made it into the marketing. Do things like Sandy Bridge even appear on the packaging when you get one of those CPUs? The actual marketing is "Core i7 Gen 3" or the like.

This is used internally so they can refer shorthand to stuff without having to specify it with the long codenames.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_codenames

for example this is just the ones from 2004, which is a year I picked at random because I was reading through the list and got bored in 2004:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dammit windows 10!  How can you screw up something so basic?

I had a USB headset plugged in for work.  Then after work I unplugged them and plugged in some regular wired headphones.  Now if I don't have the wired headphones plugged in, I get "audio renderer error".  The solution is to "reboot and update your drivers."

WTF!?  Why do people pay money for this crap? And why isn't there anything better?

Firstly, most people don't have to pay for it. I got my Windows 10 totally for free.

Second, your problem is almost certainly that there's a problem with the drivers for the USB headphones. And unless those are actually made by Microsoft themselves, then that's third-party software. There's almost nothing that the OS manufacturer can do to prevent stuff like that happening. The OS is just a platform, not magic sauce that makes everything work.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:05:02 am by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: April 18, 2020, 10:31:06 am »

Someone paid for it.

Also, pretty sure it's windows.  If not its code directly, the culture of software development it encourage(s/d).  Here's the sequence of events that caused the issue:

PC speakers working.
Plug in USB headset: works fine.
Unplug USB headset - back to PC speakers, just fine.
Plug in 1/8" headphones - works fine.
Repeat:
Unplug 1/8" headphones - audio renderer error.
Plug in USB headset - works fine.
Unplug USB headset - audio renderer error.
Plug in 1/8" headphones - works fine.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: April 18, 2020, 10:53:51 am »

It's still a problem with that driver for the USB headphones. Just because it's not immediate doesn't mean it isn't. It's making some system change and not changing it back properly.

If something is still running and not letting go properly, it's probably something in services.msc or in processes. See if the USB headphones installed something running in the background then try terminating that. What's most likely happening is that the hardware installed something that watches for when the USB headset is either plugged in or removed, but the dolts just set it to watch for whether headphones in general are plugged in or removed, and so when your regular headphones get yanked out, probably, then it's sending the inappropriate commands. It's likely that killing the process or service after removing the USB thing would prevent that. Is this headset a Chinese brand by any chance?

Also, pretty sure it's windows.  If not its code directly, the culture of software development it encourage(s/d).  Here's the sequence of events that caused the issue:

You're just describing the culture of software development in general, not something specific to Microsoft. The only reason Apple avoids a lot of that is by whitelisting approved developers and hardware only, and you lose the ability to customize your system then. If you make a system and don't want third-party software to fuck it up, you need to heavily limit what's allowed to be done. That generally means not letting just anyone produce hardware for it. After all, you're plugging what is to Windows unknown third-party hardware into its system that comes with its own software. The thing about a USB headphone system is that it by design must hijack the normal sound system and relay audio somewhere where it really wasn't intended to go.

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:32:46 am by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: April 18, 2020, 12:27:13 pm »

You do realize that the price of your "free Windows 10" was included in the price of the computer you buy?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: April 18, 2020, 12:29:57 pm »

No it wasn't. I did the free upgrade from a copy of Windows 7 I "found", and I built my own PC from a parts store. So I've got a legit registered copy of Windows 10 running on my main PC, but I never actually gave Microsoft a dime.

Other than laptops I've never bought a store-built PC, nor have I ever purchased or owned any legit Windows install disks. So I understand that the copy of Windows I run on my main PC isn't "free" but it ain't me who paid for the thing. My guess is that Microsoft doesn't put any DRM on their disks because they want Windows to be ubiquitous even if it gets pirated, also backed up by their willingness to upgrade pirated Win 7 to legit Win 10 entirely for free. They got big on desktops basically by giving the operating system more or less for free to OEM manufacturers. Like, you can't really get a laptop without the OS any cheaper than one with Windows on it and the same specs, can you now? Their main source of revenue is actually the corporate sector, it's never been consumer desktops, and this actually explains the widespread Bill Gates = Evil Bogeyman thing that was big in the mainstream media. Microsoft was/is bleeding the corporates of money and they know he had them by the balls, so Gates was fair game for the corporate media to take jabs at. The reason they hated him is that the same class of people who run the media, white collar office/corporate was his target market in which he had a near-monopoly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:51:28 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: April 18, 2020, 07:46:46 pm »

I got super-duper sunburned after spending around 4 hours sitting around drinking in my driveway.

Like, ow.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: April 18, 2020, 08:16:37 pm »

I got super-duper sunburned after spending around 4 hours sitting around drinking in my driveway.

Like, ow.

The sun lives outside. Why would you go there?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: April 19, 2020, 01:37:21 am »

The sorry state of literacy in professional newspaper articles is really grating sometimes. I came across "much fewer" just now in a major news outlet's site. It's "many fewer" or "much less", you can't mix and match those. (Fewer is only for discrete items and less is for stuff that's continuous, like water or beer. Fewer beers is acceptable, but only when beers is plural, "much fewer beer in my glass" is not acceptable).

And it's not exactly rocket science. An automated grammar check should picked stuff like that up easily. I mean, there is no shortage of people with degrees in journalism, and they have professional editors checking their work. It's not acceptable that stuff like this leaks through without any sort of filter.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:42:31 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: April 19, 2020, 01:53:20 am »

While it adds specific meaning, "Significantly fewer" (such as, "Significantly fewer reported cases") or "significantly less" (such as "There was significantly less risk of contamination") would have performed admirably.

But I guess "Significant" is too large of a word to use in a news paper these days.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: April 19, 2020, 07:34:33 am »

Like, ow.

The sun lives outside. Why would you go there?

People were visiting because nobody cares of this pandemic.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: April 19, 2020, 07:45:51 am »

It's still a problem with that driver for the USB headphones.
Incidentally I was able to disable then re-enable the driver for the built-in speakers (NOT the USB ones!) without rebooting and this resolved the problem.  I suppose maybe the USB driver did something that confused the built-in driver, but that's a really interesting interaction scenario.

I still think this is a windows driver model problem; it can be possible to start/stop/reset any driver without rebooting.

I think the deal with the pandemic is that people at this point would just rather deal with the illness than feel like they are on house arrest.  Even though it's by a different name, that's effectively what many places have imposed.  It's no wonder civil unrest is brewing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: April 20, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »

How to lose someone's business in 30 seconds:

"Hi, are you guys taking coffee orders?"
"Yeah, but we're only doing online."
"Ok what's the website?"
"Uhm, the link should be up on our instagram?"
*click*

Not visiting your instagram or signing up for another online account just for a goddamn cup of coffee. And when your answer to "what is your website" is "go look it up yourself" you can fuck right off.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: April 20, 2020, 02:50:38 pm »

It's still a problem with that driver for the USB headphones.
Incidentally I was able to disable then re-enable the driver for the built-in speakers (NOT the USB ones!) without rebooting and this resolved the problem.  I suppose maybe the USB driver did something that confused the built-in driver, but that's a really interesting interaction scenario.

I still think this is a windows driver model problem; it can be possible to start/stop/reset any driver without rebooting.

I think the deal with the pandemic is that people at this point would just rather deal with the illness than feel like they are on house arrest.  Even though it's by a different name, that's effectively what many places have imposed.  It's no wonder civil unrest is brewing.

Yeah, the built-in equipment is disabled when you put something else in. You probably reminded it to check on the USB speaker, which re-enabled it.

And no surprise people are unhappy about the lockdown. Same thing happened in 1918, apparently. Including protests against having to wear masks. plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Not visiting your instagram or signing up for another online account just for a goddamn cup of coffee. And when your answer to "what is your website" is "go look it up yourself" you can fuck right off.

Agreed. I've had to say "that's a good question, give me a minute" before. And it's not like people can't make their own coffee easily (assuming the have a coffee pot).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: April 20, 2020, 03:25:05 pm »

And just for shits and giggles, a friend checked out their instagram.

It has one follower and no mention an ordering website.

For being in the tech generation, these people are pretty shit at tech.

Two weeks ago when I called the "parent company" this coffee shop partners with in the same building, they told me to visit their web page on facebook for the # to the coffee shop. It didn't have it either. I had to email them and they got me the phone # and I suggested they update their Facebook page with, ya know, the actual info that would allow them to do business.

Too bad. Their coffee is good. But they can't internet with two hands, a flashlight and a web team to save their lives.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 03:26:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 771