Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 834036 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7770 on: July 19, 2020, 12:30:50 am »

Are the people of your nation different enough from another nation that their decisions are better than the other?
No. We're not superior to other nations, where did I say that? It doesn't mean we should not preserve our culture or defend our nation against aggression.
It was implicit in what you said. Would you be willing to die in defense of another nation? If your nation was the aggressor against democracy, for example?

Culture can be preserved in museums and other institutions, places where it can’t be used to separate peoples.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: July 19, 2020, 12:32:24 am »

Are the people of your nation different enough from another nation that their decisions are better than the other?
No. We're not superior to other nations, where did I say that? It doesn't mean we should not preserve our culture or defend our nation against aggression.
It was implicit in what you said. Would you be willing to die in defense of another nation? If your nation was the aggressor against democracy, for example?
Yes, if Mongolia turned into a dictatorship then I would fight AGAINST it.

Culture can be preserved in museums and other institutions, places where it can’t be used to separate peoples.
You can't preserve language and traditions in a museum.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: July 19, 2020, 12:45:43 am »

You can't preserve language and traditions in a museum.
Other institutions, too. Language can be taught in school. Traditions probably done there too. You could even set up something specifically for preserving traditions.

Traditions are weird though. They’re things you do ‘cause people that are old or dead tell you to do them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: July 19, 2020, 01:09:09 am »

Good points but I have to go for now. Thanks for keeping it civil instead of personally attacking me. Lol
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: July 19, 2020, 08:32:52 am »

I understand why you are against communism, I just like the idea that everyone is the same and should be treated as such, and get disconcerted at things that can be used to separate people from one another (like culture) while understanding that some of those things are important enough to be preserved, if not necessarily celebrated. I don’t think I’d support communism anywhere because, like you, I think people tend to corrupt things to suit themselves.

I’m a weird one, supporting the independence of where I come from (and having a soft spot for independence movements elsewhere as a result) while also wanting to move beyond things like that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: July 19, 2020, 08:40:02 am »

Out of the ashes into the flames
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: July 19, 2020, 05:39:21 pm »

It's always best to follow evidence rather than ideology anyway. If something from an ideology (be it communism, capitalism, whatever) doesn't work... we should discard it rather than trying to be apologetic for it.

This is why I try to emphasize end goals like equality/etc. Specific enough to not have room for problematic things, vague enough that various approaches could potentially work. Peeps don't like that it's not immediately actionable, but I'm no expert on politics or economics or whatever, so I'll leave the "how" to people who do have a better idea.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: July 19, 2020, 07:06:13 pm »

It's always best to follow evidence rather than ideology anyway. If something from an ideology (be it communism, capitalism, whatever) doesn't work... we should discard it rather than trying to be apologetic for it.

Indeed. The Lysenkoists are were a symptom of that problem - valuing ideology over observation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: July 20, 2020, 03:13:42 am »

Observation can be biased, narrative can drive conclusions.
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: July 20, 2020, 08:30:57 am »

Certainly, but it's better to have observation drive ideology than the other way around - observation can be (imperfectly, yes) checked against multiple observations/perspectives - the scientific method.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: July 20, 2020, 08:34:42 am »

The better option, is to have observation inform experiment, and then have experiment drive policy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: July 20, 2020, 08:45:38 am »

The better option, is to have observation inform experiment, and then have experiment drive policy.
Yes

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: July 20, 2020, 09:46:24 am »

I'm probably too jaded to believe anarchism and "true" communism can ever work for humans. Maybe with another species with a different psyche. But humans are greedy bastards. In the absence of a state they will be nasty to each other and the whole deal will collapse into warlordism, then back to normal countries... it's just bizarre to me as a moderate authleft.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: July 20, 2020, 11:48:06 am »

Except that for literally 95% of human history, there were no states as everyone lived in hunter gatherer groups and humans managed just fine.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: July 20, 2020, 12:25:03 pm »

Tribes is just slightly less formal states
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 774