Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 840303 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7815 on: July 21, 2020, 07:33:50 am »

You're calling it anarchism, but isn't that just communism? What's the difference?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: July 21, 2020, 07:46:46 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:08:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: July 21, 2020, 08:20:01 am »

The discussion is very interesting, but I actually can't even mentally digest it at all. My mild sad of the day is the feeling that my mind is coming unhinged. It's possibly from being indoors 24/7, rarely talking to anyone, besides games or videos I watch I don't get any real stimulation at all, my sleep schedule is now waking up at 6p and going to bed at 9-10am. So, just like my sleep schedule when I was working third shift.

And time seemed to pass so quickly today. I feel like I woke up, did 2-3 things, and now its time to go to bed, and it feels like I didn't do shit in that entire waking cycle. I'm tired, and the clock is saying that its my bed time, but there's a part of me that's thinking "the clock is fucking lying to me, there's no way that so many hours passed already. I can't go to bed when it feels like I just woke up"

Time is just moving so fast, and at the same time I'm being dragged and it feels like its taking forever. It feels like my mind is falling apart and I can't stop it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: July 21, 2020, 10:39:55 am »

Sorry Max but that argument can be used against any government system.
The problem is that wouldn't the established regimes in most countries see an anarchist "nation" (for lack of a better word) as a threat and thus invade? Also many inside the territory would oppose its system, probably much more than in normal countries. And in the case of companies owned by the workers... a state is still needed to oversee the companies or at least maintain a police and military force. Such things are better off in the hands of a centralized state rather than local militia.

Anyways I'm so tired of talking about politics. I need to take a break from this stuff before I get... heated as usual.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: July 21, 2020, 12:22:06 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:10:26 pm by dragdeler »
let

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: July 21, 2020, 04:05:58 pm »

On a tangent, I've always hated assertions along the lines of "X is the worst system we've ever had... aside from all the other systems we've tried." since it comes off as incredibly defeatist.

Never stop trying new ideas!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: July 21, 2020, 06:29:18 pm »

We're pretty off topic here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: July 21, 2020, 08:44:32 pm »

I burned my finger. This has affected my typing, but oddly enough less than I expected.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: July 21, 2020, 08:48:52 pm »

You should know already know vampires don’t mix well with daylight, man.

Was it a stray ray?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: July 21, 2020, 09:28:07 pm »

Crikey, rays are no laughing matter ):
Also, "five for five dollar" deals at the grocery store.  When you don't have to buy five to get the deal.  It's literally just one dollar each, they're being misleading about it.  Ten for ten dollars would be just as inaccurate (though slightly more precise...)
Bah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: July 21, 2020, 09:55:17 pm »

Sorry Max but that argument can be used against any government system.
The problem is that wouldn't the established regimes in most countries see an anarchist "nation" (for lack of a better word) as a threat and thus invade? Also many inside the territory would oppose its system, probably much more than in normal countries. And in the case of companies owned by the workers... a state is still needed to oversee the companies or at least maintain a police and military force. Such things are better off in the hands of a centralized state rather than local militia.

Anyways I'm so tired of talking about politics. I need to take a break from this stuff before I get... heated as usual.

You can say the exact same thing of democracy in general however. Didn't all the other nations in Europe band together to invade the post-revolution French Republic because it was a threat to the monarchies? Such an event is clearly not evidence that republics can't work.

You had two major examples of democratic republics, which were the American revolution and the French Revolution. The American Revolution mainly survived because America was in the middle of nowhere, not see as very important, and the British were tied up fighting the French at the time. Without the American Revolution being a successful example, then "Republics" would have the same track record as what you're saying would happen to anarchism. So, pointing out that what happened to the French Republic might happen to anarchist governments because vested interests might try and overthrow them isn't a specifically good argument that anarchism, in itself, can't work. you're actually arguing why any new idea can't work. For example, the same argument could be made that Uber wouldn't have worked because taxi companies have the regulators in their pockets and won't let the competition into their cities. Most new ideas are disruptive and vested interests will try and stop them. This isn't an argument that the ideas themselves are good or bad, or will or won't work.

EDIT: also if you look up the CNT in Spain and the model's details, you'll note the term "federalism" turns up quite a bit. It's a form of direct democracy, but you do have larger bodies built up as federations of the smaller bodies. The federalized organization is what oversees the individual companies. As for the "how can the army function?" arguments, well the exact same argument could always be made about any form of government that's any less than a completely militarized police state. You see people making really the same exact argument that if they, for example, abolish the death penalty then murders will run amok. Pretty much take any single step away from a police state, and *someone* will say that's the last straw before chaos.

Anarcho-syndicalists would create a federation of local bodies. Anarcho-syndicalists also believe in organized direct action, that's kind of the guiding principle. There's no reason to think that such an organization isn't going to be able to organize to protect itself and its members / citizens. They're not a "do nothing" type of philosophy. Saying that if anarchists were the dominant political force then everything will be local and there won't be any organization anymore is a straw man argument. You seem stuck on this idea that in this system there will be no higher levels of organization other than local councils, but that's clearly not even a thing. It's not a coherent argument, because it's not what they are saying (hence, a straw man argument).

As for police, you can totally have local policing. The USA largely relies on city and county-level policing rather than state or federal policing, so there's really no reason to think municipalities run on anarcho-syndicalist direct democracy lines won't be able to police their area. Anarcho-syndicalists believe in organized direct action. if people are fucking other people up in an area they control, you can damn well be they're going to get organized to do something about that. They're not going to print leaflets.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:43:59 pm by Reelya »

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: July 21, 2020, 10:52:40 pm »

As for me... Anarchy is utterly alien to me and I probably wouldn't accept such a system ever. I'm too used to capitalist society, in which I grew up, and, was mostly content in.

On a tangent, I've always hated assertions along the lines of "X is the worst system we've ever had... aside from all the other systems we've tried." since it comes off as incredibly defeatist.

Never stop trying new ideas!
What if the cost of trying a new idea is too high to make it worth it? I don't want to fight for some noone, who wants to topple the established system, which, in my country at least, works, fine enough, at a risk of ending up worse than we started, or, worse, under a dictatorship. Yes, capitalism has its flaws, but I'm content with it. As long as it has some regulations.

But this is quite off topic, isn't it?
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: July 21, 2020, 11:01:15 pm »

It is, but to address your point, institutionalizing more anarchism is merely to flatten the hierarchy in society. Lift the weakest while pulling down the most powerful. That can be done within any current society without toppling it.

Pure anarchism would require dismantling current governments. Looking at anarchism as a lovely ideal does not.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: July 21, 2020, 11:19:38 pm »

It is, but to address your point, institutionalizing more anarchism is merely to flatten the hierarchy in society. Lift the weakest while pulling down the most powerful. That can be done within any current society without toppling it.

Pure anarchism would require dismantling current governments. Looking at anarchism as a lovely ideal does not.
How is it anarchism when there is still a hierarchy? Isn't the meaning of the word, "no ruler"? I support more equality of course, but more in a, more meritocratic way where people get government positions not because they're rich, but because they have skills useful, to the position.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: July 21, 2020, 11:21:57 pm »

Being rich is useful, just usually to the person making the appointment.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 775