Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 852148 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8085 on: August 21, 2020, 02:09:30 pm »

Yeah I've done the first one myself a few times, it's not particularly pleasant but I'd like to think I've gotten better about it over the years.

Something somewhat related to this phenomenon that I've seen mentioned recently is that the entire culture surrounding this stuff can be sort of classified into two distinct camps. You've got your askers, folks who've been brought up and taught that if you want something you ask for it directly, you might get a no but that's not a problem, the point is that you ask because the other person can't really know what you want until you ask it. Then you've got guessers who are much more, let's say sensitive about rejection and hurting other people with it (and in turn getting hurt by it I guess), so their whole thing is knowing a person well enough that they can guess what they want or are able to offer, so you only really ask if you know the answer is yes. Obviously these are two extremes and most people will perhaps be a mix, (I know I am, certain things I only ask directly while others I tend not to bother with unless I know the answer) but it's an interesting observation that can help put certain actions and behaviors into context.

Though of course, you do need to know a person somewhat well to be able to tell if they're one thing or another.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: August 26, 2020, 04:07:09 pm »

Humidity is at 82% where I am. It's miserable even at a temperature of 71°F (down from the 80s and 90s of last week.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:09:28 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: August 26, 2020, 10:38:45 pm »

I dove in on facebook fights.

I gotta stop doing this...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: August 26, 2020, 10:40:52 pm »

It's a lot less taxing to just scroll through, chuckling away, and throw some "love/care" reacts at the folks you agree with and "haha" ones at the rest.   

Edit: I EAT DELICIOUS FOOD BUT NOW STOMACH HURTS WHYYYY   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:47:52 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: August 30, 2020, 06:56:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:14:12 pm by dragdeler »
let

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: August 30, 2020, 06:58:37 pm »

Almost had a panic attack today, got away from humans and it wound down.

Yay: it wound down.

Nay: it, y'know, almost happened. After a several-month break. And the circumstances that set it off are probably going to come up again, and at some point I won't be able to prevent it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: August 30, 2020, 07:08:38 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:14:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: August 31, 2020, 06:40:09 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:14:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: August 31, 2020, 07:09:16 am »

Forgive me, I may have missed something, why does Sanders deserve ridicule? What bill(s) did he vote for?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: August 31, 2020, 07:11:56 am »

Yes, I am autistic. It’s ok to ask something like that.
No offense but it's rather evident. I mean there are a lot of telltale signs in your writing
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: August 31, 2020, 07:17:29 am »

No offense but it's rather evident. I mean there are a lot of telltale signs in your writing
I’m curious what they are

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: August 31, 2020, 07:18:11 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:14:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: August 31, 2020, 09:07:47 am »

Perfect for this thread: Youtube's comment formatting has stopped working. Ugh.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: August 31, 2020, 09:22:04 am »

Just general bluntness, disregard of social grace, and an appreciation for factual information and honesty even in situations where it might be seen as tactless.

I speak as someone who was diagnosed as having high functioning asperger's as a child, and my social education has been my more-than-decade long self-reeducation on how to play the 'game' of socializing effectively.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:34 am »

Many questions about neurotypical behaviorisms, mostly.  Neurotypical people tend to already either straight up know, or more frequently-- never care to know in the first place, why they do or do not do certain things at the fundamental, intellectual level.  The only time such questions get asked, are either from people who are genuinely baffled by it (which are typically people on the autistic spectrum at some location on said spectrum), or are career clinical psychologists.  The career clinical psychologists will likely already have some basis for a theory as to the behavior, and will ask questions in a fashion that in some way, gives away those prior suspicions.  The people who are truly baffled, and are looking for any clue at all, due to an extant need to interact with such behavior, will not ask in such a leading fashion.

Humans are very adept at detecting patterns; People that interact with people with autistic spectrum disorder, of some caliber or other, will notice such trends in language and inquiry. 

This is what Poo is most likely alluding to.  Neurotypical people tend to approach unknown or unfamiliar things within the context of a pre-existing emotional-reactive framework.  People with high functioning autism tend to have blunted affect, and thus approach it from a more intellectual derived framework, which attempts to systematize, rather than emotionally empathize, the unknown subject matter.

Things that are "Just blatantly freaking obvious" to neurotypical people, are often 'Profoundly baffling, and obtuse, if not outright contradictory' to the high functioning autist.  As such, the neurotypical will never ask serious questions about "such obvious" subjects of "ordinary behavior", unless they have a very specific theory about it that they are seeking to test out (and their language will thus give away that intent to the astute.)  The fact that you are genuinely baffled by such "Obvious" things, is a very clear and poignant "Tell."

There is nothing wrong about asking such questions, like there is nothing fundamentally wrong with being an autist.  There is simply a reliable pattern in the kinds of questions, and the language used in such questions, that give autists away.

If you ask me, society NEEDS autists, *BECAUSE* the neurotypical inclination is to never ask such questions, and then rigidly attempt to define and answer them in a comprehensive and internally self-consistent manner that is free of conceptual biases. (The objective of the autist is just to understand, and thus correctly react to the baffling behavior-- Not to reinforce some preconcieved notion, as most neurotypicals approach things.) The insights of such inquiries, likely lead down roads that would not otherwise be trodden-- They are thus of considerable value to humanity as a whole.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 777