Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 837409 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8355 on: November 15, 2020, 12:35:33 pm »

A good film can be upsetting. If stirring strong emotions is the goal of the movie, then it's a good film even if it makes you sad.

+1

Many of my favorite films make me upset.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: November 15, 2020, 01:14:21 pm »

SuperEyepatchwolf just put out a video for his top most horrifying, disturbing movies. I haven't seen any of them, just his descriptions of them are pretty unsettling.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: November 17, 2020, 06:13:40 am »

I think I lost my Bluetooth in-ear headphones. Shit. That thing pumped out the best sound I've heard thus far and I fucking lost it, like I'm some kind of idiot. I know I could just buy it again, but goddamn it if I'm not gonna sulk for a bit. I have a backup, but it's not as good.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: November 19, 2020, 04:00:47 pm »

So uh, guess I have to figure out where the Hell I left oft.  It was sometime after the nazis and the leviathans and god yeeting off with his sister - also a spoiler I guess but RIP the one person that last watched mid that season.

Oh I think I do remember the last thing, maybe?
So yeah I guess I get to watch Supernatural again
yay for queer baiting
this show started off good, I swear! 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: November 19, 2020, 04:07:51 pm »

SuperEyepatchwolf just put out a video for his top most horrifying, disturbing movies. I haven't seen any of them, just his descriptions of them are pretty unsettling.

I clicked on the video but avoided watching any of it, because I'd prefer to get the titles of the movies, watch them and then view the bit where he's breaking it down afterwards. If it's a disturbing movie then telling me why it's disturbing is just going to spoil the whole thing.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: November 19, 2020, 04:44:47 pm »

I clicked on the video but avoided watching any of it, because I'd prefer to get the titles of the movies, watch them and then view the bit where he's breaking it down afterwards. If it's a disturbing movie then telling me why it's disturbing is just going to spoil the whole thing.

I just realized there wasn't a list in the video description, the list of movies are:

The Baby (1973)
Parents (1989)
Un Chien Andalou (1929) (aka "The Andalusian Dog")
La Casa Lobo (2018) (aka "The Wolf House")
The Adventures of Mark Twain (Only a short segment of it 40 minutes in.)
Watership Down (1978)
Plague Dogs (1982)
Threads (1981)
Relic (2020)
Possession (1981)
Funny Games (1997)
Occult (2009)
Last Summer (1969)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:46:18 pm by JoshuaFH »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: November 19, 2020, 04:50:32 pm »

SuperEyePatchWolf likes to shine the spotlight on more obscure things that people may not have already seen, and The Thing is one of the most famous movies of all time.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: November 19, 2020, 05:10:24 pm »

Also, I think something like The Thing where it's just groteseque but the plot's a fairly comprehensible monster movie at heart, just gory as fuck can be less disturbing than some movie, for example a psychological movie about a killer baby, where you're not sure if the baby is evil or the mother is going insane. I'm just winging it based on the title "The Baby" here, not spoiling the movie. I have no idea what it's about. If I was writing a movie with that title, that's the plot I'd go with.

Maybe it's because a shape-shifting alien that kills people stuck in a remote Antarctic base really doesn't strike that close to home. That definitely didn't give me any sort of feeling of lingering dread after watching it, I didn't have any sort of visceral fear of my coffee cup sprouting spider legs and a face and trying to kill me.

Whereas
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:25:37 pm by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: November 19, 2020, 06:13:18 pm »

Why is Watership Down on that list?

I mean - I guess maybe it is horrifying but not in the "horror movie" sense.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: November 19, 2020, 06:18:33 pm »

The video is specifically for 'disturbing' horror movies. Watership Down was only mentioned by name with a few clips, it wasn't actually the focus of one of the longer segments that comprised the video, but I've never seen it and it looks pretty f'd up to me, so I included it in that last.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: November 19, 2020, 06:23:51 pm »

Maybe it's because a shape-shifting alien that kills people stuck in a remote Antarctic base really doesn't strike that close to home.

No, but "people not being what they seem" is what the movie is about - playing on that paranoia and fear that all of us have. It's a heavy-handed analogy, but I think there is something unsettling at the core of The Thing beyond body-horror.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: November 19, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »

for example a psychological movie about a killer baby, where you're not sure if the baby is evil or the mother is going insane. I'm just winging it based on the title "The Baby" here, not spoiling the movie. I have no idea what it's about. If I was writing a movie with that title, that's the plot I'd go with.

Spoiler: The Baby Spoilers (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: November 19, 2020, 11:41:03 pm »

I remember it being on CITV - kids after school TV basically - for a few months. I was a bit older by then, mid-teens maybe, watching it because it’s cartoon rabbits. I watched a couple of episodes of what was presumably a series and fucked it off because I just spent 7 hours doing something depressing, why the fuck would I want to spend another half hour choosing to watch something else depressing.

I still wonder wtf was going through the minds of the execs who thought that was a good idea.

Also The Thing being disturbing, it’s more the psychological thing of not being able to escape and also having people you’ve know and trust being monsters that will absorb you at the next available opportunity, and will defend itself through violently lethal means if you harm even the smallest aspect of it being the terrifying part.

It’s got a great story to it, great actors in it, and the ending was excellent.

The video game and sucked ass though.

Edit: Watership Down series.

Apparently it was less dark than the movie.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:45:35 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: November 20, 2020, 02:59:58 am »

Watership Down is horrifying precisely because most people who watched it were about 8 years old at the time.

In comparison, no parent would think "Hellraiser, this looks like a nice movie my young children can watch while I do the laundry"
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 774