Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 837291 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8370 on: November 20, 2020, 11:55:14 am »

Zorn.

Zorn.

All zorn.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: November 20, 2020, 12:03:22 pm »

I remember that Hulu show

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: November 21, 2020, 06:18:26 pm »

I just spent a couple hours trying to 1) Figure out what in this bastard's code was going wrong enough to make the whole game come to a screeching halt and 2) Learn enough Python so I could actually understand what it was when I saw it  :P

Turns out the "bugfix" branch on Git also happened to include special (hack-assed) mod support capability that has never been merged into the master branch, *in addition to bugfixes*, and this dweeb basically broke his own game unless you have a third-party mod installed and activated. Issue was resolved by manually unfucking the fuckery.

It's bad enough to wonk mod support so hard that the base game crashes and burns unless they're specifically using the mods you're just now adding support for, but putting mod support framework into the "BUGFIX" branch just cheeses me mightily.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: November 23, 2020, 09:34:56 pm »

I wasn't sure what model of shampoo to pick up, and apparently got a significantly different one.  My hair doesn't feel *bad*, but it's definitely different.  I guess I got used to "extreme moisturizing" rather than this "deep cleanse".  The ironic thing is that it feels slightly... gummy, and it was tougher to brush apart afterward.  I'd swear I failed to wash it out, but I took extra time because of how uncomfortable I was with it looking and feeling like aloe.

It advertises using vitamin C, whereas the previous bottle advertises E.  The one before that, anti-breakage, said B12.  I suspect this is marketing crap.  Vitamin C and B12 are water soluble even if my hair had a digestive tract.

I think I'll go back to "anti-breakage", it felt the same as "moisturizing" and might maintain the length better.
Edit:  And what's really upsetting me is the worry that this is all in my mind, and I'm only noticing any "difference" because it looked different.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:38:56 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: November 23, 2020, 09:42:56 pm »

Shampoo wise I'm kinda limited to Head n Shoulders, for the dandruff.  I tend to get the Old Spice flavor.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: November 23, 2020, 11:28:19 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: November 24, 2020, 07:11:15 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: November 25, 2020, 10:36:16 am »

Old Spice? The forgotten Spice Girl?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: November 25, 2020, 10:45:45 am »

Are you remembering to cook it properly beforehand? It's not supposed to be eaten raw y'know.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: November 25, 2020, 11:16:06 am »

Are you remembering to cook it properly beforehand? It's not supposed to be eaten raw y'know.

I though shampoo was a "Just add water" sort of affair.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: November 25, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »

So is pasta and rice, but you should probably do more to it prior to consumption.

Well, assuming you want to enjoy the experience.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: November 25, 2020, 02:42:35 pm »

So is pasta and rice, but you should probably do more to it prior to consumption.

Well, assuming you want to enjoy the experience.

Boil water?  What am I, a chemist?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: November 25, 2020, 04:46:38 pm »

I just spent a couple hours trying to 1) Figure out what in this bastard's code was going wrong enough to make the whole game come to a screeching halt and 2) Learn enough Python so I could actually understand what it was when I saw it  :P

Turns out the "bugfix" branch on Git also happened to include special (hack-assed) mod support capability that has never been merged into the master branch, *in addition to bugfixes*, and this dweeb basically broke his own game unless you have a third-party mod installed and activated. Issue was resolved by manually unfucking the fuckery.

It's bad enough to wonk mod support so hard that the base game crashes and burns unless they're specifically using the mods you're just now adding support for, but putting mod support framework into the "BUGFIX" branch just cheeses me mightily.
What game? Sounds like a mess.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: November 25, 2020, 06:49:25 pm »

Just sounds like a typical homebrew game. You need a lot of discipline and design fundamentals to make anything that scales at all well. Even a lot of commercial stuff, if you get a deep dive look at the internals they talk about what a mess they are.

Things like Unity and Unreal allow companies to compartmentalize they layers of the engine, effectively passing off to someone else to handle the nitty-gritty. This doesn't make them better, they're usually just as much of a mess or more, above the level of the stuff the engine gives you.

A lot really comes down to design constraints. It's far easier and quicker to mock up something that just looks great in 3D tools then shove that into the game, and fake as much of the "systems" stuff as you can, holding everything together with craft glue and sticky tape, rather than building a deep engine, then implementing the same stuff in a flexible way. Basically, for virtually everything in your game, faking it with mock-ups that do just enough stuff and no more is always easier than building a detailed system which can do the stuff you need, plus more. So there's always that incentive to cut corners in order to get good looking demo stuff out there that's going to push the project forward.

Code that sucks and bad design that means new features are half-assedly bolted on top of other stuff? Standard operating procedure in the game development world. It really is mickey mouse compared to high end commercial software. Like, nobody would tolerate the level of bugginess if it was the latest video editing suite or something, because those people need it to work because money is on the line. Shit is routinely shipped entirely broken in AAA games, which tells you the state of the industry and how much they've actually mastered the art of putting games together. Nowhere close.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:00:19 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 774