Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 842466 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8505 on: January 11, 2021, 09:23:26 pm »

The answer 20 years ago would be Yahoo Finance, maybe it still works for that.  You could just tell it what stocks you'd invested in, and how much, and it would track your progress.

Yahoo's still a thing, somehow, so maybe that's still a thing too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: January 11, 2021, 09:25:15 pm »

hmmmmmm

So I'm looking for people's opinions of the best way to try to 'mock' invest in the stock market.  I don't have a particular market in mind, just 'the market'.  Something I can dip my toe into, or just track a few stocks to build up some confidence in my choices when I do invest.

Any ideas?  The internet seems to not be of too much use - just provides me with information over-saturation.

The investopedia stock simulator?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: January 12, 2021, 12:37:12 am »

I used an old tool to help make the necessary modifications to the Civilopedia for a Civ 3 scenario I'm working on. I got everything done, but when I attempted to save the work, my antivirus detected the program's attempt to edit the file and blocked it, erasing most of two hours of work.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: January 12, 2021, 03:19:45 am »

This is a pet peeve of mine, but a lot of chiptunes are labeled as "8-bit" only, rather than the system/sound chip it's emulating/composed on.

There's a lot of 8-bit systems out there. You have the NES, with its 2A03, the Atari 2600, with its TIA, the ZX Spectrum 48K and 128K with their beeper and AY-3-8910 respectively, and so on. Those are PSGs. Then you have the Commodore 64, which despite being an 8-bit machine, I'd argue that its sound capabilities (provided by the SID chip) are on par with a (3-channel) synthesizer.

Like, 8-bit does not narrow it down! Which one is it?! It tells me nothing, apart from the fact that it should follow the constraints associated with such hardware (limited number of channels, few waveforms, limited memory, few if any samples, BPM of 150...). I've learned to associate "8-bit" alone with NES/2A03(-style), and I think it's a shame that's about the only sound chip people tend to know. I don't think it shows a lack of respect for these systems, necessarily. It shows ignorance, and that's a shame.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: January 12, 2021, 03:44:31 am »

I sympathize, but the problem stems from needing something generic for the 'generation' of chiptune, that unites all the chips used to make tunes, from that era.

Otherwise, you would have people lumping in MODs from the Amiga and SCP files from the SNES in, which are much more sophisticated than say, a sound program for a TMS9919.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: January 12, 2021, 04:29:08 am »

I have a external disk player that I was going to use to play STALKER Call of Pripyat because the DVD drive on my laptop is dead, but I couldn't find the cords for it and ended up spending days looking for them only to never find them and have to buy one, only to get it all set up, put the disk in, and nothing to happen, after investigating the cause I found that the external disk drive was a CD drive and not a DVD like I needed. So I ended up wasting loads of time for nothing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: January 12, 2021, 04:41:36 am »

This is a pet peeve of mine, but a lot of chiptunes are labeled as "8-bit" only, rather than the system/sound chip it's emulating/composed on.

There's a lot of 8-bit systems out there. You have the NES, with its 2A03, the Atari 2600, with its TIA, the ZX Spectrum 48K and 128K with their beeper and AY-3-8910 respectively, and so on. Those are PSGs. Then you have the Commodore 64, which despite being an 8-bit machine, I'd argue that its sound capabilities (provided by the SID chip) are on par with a (3-channel) synthesizer.

Like, 8-bit does not narrow it down! Which one is it?! It tells me nothing, apart from the fact that it should follow the constraints associated with such hardware (limited number of channels, few waveforms, limited memory, few if any samples, BPM of 150...). I've learned to associate "8-bit" alone with NES/2A03(-style), and I think it's a shame that's about the only sound chip people tend to know. I don't think it shows a lack of respect for these systems, necessarily. It shows ignorance, and that's a shame.

'8-bit' is just a synonym for chiptune genre, a lot are just '8-bit style' anyway. Just look up the specific machine and you should find what you want.

I prefer the ZX spectrum ones. Some of my earliest memories are loading the tape and waiting for the demonic screeching to pass so I can play some game :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:44:02 am by Caz »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: January 13, 2021, 04:03:13 am »

I have a external disk player that I was going to use to play STALKER Call of Pripyat because the DVD drive on my laptop is dead, but I couldn't find the cords for it and ended up spending days looking for them only to never find them and have to buy one, only to get it all set up, put the disk in, and nothing to happen, after investigating the cause I found that the external disk drive was a CD drive and not a DVD like I needed. So I ended up wasting loads of time for nothing.

Invest in a disk image, and either wincdemu or daemon tools

That way an optical disk drive is just a legacy afterthought.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: January 13, 2021, 05:36:49 am »

But wouldn't I need a drive to read the disk in order to make use of that, thus removing the need to do that because I'd have a drive to play the disc, or is it for backing up the disc?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: January 13, 2021, 06:43:11 am »

Get a cheap dvd drive? I've got about half a dozen lying around just from dismantling ye olde pcs so they can't be that expensive. For 10yrs or so every basic pc came with one. Check the attics of relatives.

If you can't find a 2nd hand one it might be cheaper just to buy it again on GOG though.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: January 13, 2021, 08:34:00 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:25:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: January 13, 2021, 10:33:43 am »

Week five
Of
Zero speech

Yay.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: January 13, 2021, 12:30:07 pm »

Week five
Of
Zero speech

Yay.

fuck. Uh . . . I can't remember if you'd seen a doctor yet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: January 13, 2021, 03:22:15 pm »

I saw her once three or four weeks ago for like five minutes.

But for covid reasons all she could do was feel my neck.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: January 13, 2021, 08:08:55 pm »

Did you get a pcr?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 775