Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 842474 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8550 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:37 pm »

I read an article about the best encoding settings for 4K, and apparently, it's H.265 10-bit, Slow preset, CRF 20. The author said it may take too long on older hardware. Uh...

By "older hardware", did they mean "anything short of a 5950X/Threadripper"? My poor quad-core. This is at Medium, BTW. Slow would take 2 entire days. At this rate, I'm expecting some absolutely miraculous compression ratios. I'm gonna flip if the end result's only 20% smaller than the source.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: January 27, 2021, 02:45:05 am »

Heh, this is the second time this month that I am getting a fraud call (I think). Missed call on my phone, when I call the number I get the 'this number is not in use' message.

I never got calls like that before.

Today the phone woke me up after only 4h sleep :(
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: January 27, 2021, 07:59:19 am »

Lucky you, over 90% of the calls I receive are of the fraudulent variety.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: January 27, 2021, 09:21:15 am »

Yeah, I getting to the point of considering whether or not I need a phone. It feels like I'm just paying a monthly fee for spam.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: January 28, 2021, 08:16:42 pm »

House person actually went through with getting a puppy. It's, well. It's not great. No one in this house really has it in them to properly care for or train a puppy. The three of us together, don't. It's already starting to be a problem (it's showing signs of having started to learn to piss and shit on the carpet instead of, y'know. Not that.), and it's going to only get worse 'cause it's a young pit bull breed, i.e. not going to be small, is going to be heavy and strong (which I can mostly deal with, but no one else in the house can). Just... bloody hell.

Pretty sure I'm going to nickname it Bi (said bee) as short for Bad Idea :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: January 28, 2021, 08:21:32 pm »

Maybe you should instead nickname it Bi (pronounce: Bye), and find it a home with people that do have the time and skill

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34:48 pm »

If I had the capability to do that I'd have already started; it ain't my dog and I don't own this house. I can advise but there's a limit on what I can legally do and another on what I can do without getting kicked out, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: January 28, 2021, 08:51:24 pm »

That sucks. I guess all you can do is damage control.  Potty training it isn't that hard. Just needs a week or two of consistency.  Puppies do shit a ton though, you kinda have to walk them at least 6 times a day.
Pitbulls are fine dogs, their bad rep is bullshit. It's bad people that used them for fighting that deserve that rep.
Like all bulldogs though, they have tons upon tons of energy. Bulldogs all have ADHD haha. They need someone who knows how to reign that in, especially during their puberty.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: January 28, 2021, 09:06:56 pm »

Nah, I know pits rep is bullshit; family's had more than one mixed breed and at least a couple pures, too, over the years. Issue is just that they end up fairly strong and fairly heavy, which makes them harder to deal with if they're not well trained (and I just ain't got the energy for it; I've barely managed to partially break some of the worst habits their other dog has, and that was partially done when I didn't have a job, and the other folks here were healthier). Which is, like, shit poor match for fairly fragile old people. Bad Idea just... fits. Too well. Poor Decision Making (PDM) would do, too :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: January 28, 2021, 09:18:15 pm »

You should have lived in the Netherlands right now.  We have a night curfew from 21h until 5:30 since about a week..

Some exceptions are made.  Noticably, people are still allowed to walk a dog.  Let's just say.... Where before corona, people would get paid to walk someone elses dog, right now, people are paying to be allowed to walk someones dog

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: January 29, 2021, 05:53:54 am »

Too cold to sleep and this meat body is useless at generating heat. Make summer plz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: January 29, 2021, 08:19:03 am »

summer is evil tho

you need blankets, not summer
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: January 29, 2021, 08:20:01 am »

Yeah.

Put on a sweatshirt or something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: January 29, 2021, 03:59:28 pm »

Practicing guitar, I need to work on transitions. I've got a tuning app, and I've found it's got some games on it, one of which just gives you random chords and a timer.

I'm improving, but half the time my attempts to beat my previous record is stymied by the thing refusing to acknowledge I'm playing the chord. The phone picks it up, it fills the bar for each note all the way indicating that I've got the note right... And doesn't move on. I have to play the note about 5 times before it seems to go "OH! You're playing it! Sorry, wasn't paying attention"

Of course the timer's ticking the whole time. It's difficult to see how you're improving when you can't break your record because the thing just decides to ignore you.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: January 29, 2021, 04:49:18 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 775