Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 774

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 836138 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8685 on: March 17, 2021, 05:45:35 pm »

The more time pass the worse I notice the game I GMd to be, I missed the first seminar lecture and tried to read the chapter it was based on but from page 2 they introduce new concepts out of no ware, I gave up on listening to a conformance lectures knowing that I will never remember to listen to them again and I have no advancement with my thesis for weeks, I can't think of a single thing I did well in the last months and I feel like I just waste my time watching youtube and pretending to do things.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: March 17, 2021, 06:09:53 pm »

Did you have your genes altered to play a game? What does a game have to do with seminars? Why would wasting your time be a problem, when that's exactly what a game's purpose is?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: March 18, 2021, 01:17:53 am »

"Hey, wanna use an external USB WiFi adapter on Linux? Fuck you, compile the drivers yourself! The ones we include don't even compile properly; better hope you have another way to connect to the internet to clone some random fork of our drivers!"

Damn kernel devs not mainlining the drivers, making people compile it from source. Ugh. Still better than Windows, where they tell you "HaVe YoU tUrNeD yOuR pC oFf AnD oN aGaIn?", like that's supposed to do anything.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: March 18, 2021, 04:28:33 am »

"Hey, wanna use an external USB WiFi adapter on Linux? Fuck you, compile the drivers yourself! The ones we include don't even compile properly; better hope you have another way to connect to the internet to clone some random fork of our drivers!"

Damn kernel devs not mainlining the drivers, making people compile it from source. Ugh. Still better than Windows, where they tell you "HaVe YoU tUrNeD yOuR pC oFf AnD oN aGaIn?", like that's supposed to do anything.

I see you have discovered the joy of the RTL8821CU USB wireless AC/N dongle on linux... (Most likely a CUDY)

In my case, I added the device because the built-in Intel 7265 chip become horribly unstable, and then the system experiences memory corruption issues, so I had to blacklist the iwlwifi driver completely to get a stable system.

Had to keep the unstable hardware enabled long enough to pull the GIT repository and build env repreqs. then switched over.

And yes, had to install DKMS toolchain, and build the driver myself.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: March 18, 2021, 05:45:59 am »

RTL8812CU? That's... exactly what I have, assuming the drivers are correct; doing lshw -C wireless does not display a product field anywhere. Damn. I'd chalk it up to destiny or some bullshit like that, but I think I had a relatively-high chance of getting the same exact one, considering that cheapo tech all seem to use the same chips. Did you happen to clone from https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU as well?

Hold up, how does an unstable network chip corrupt the entire system's memory? I know that the 7265 chip is PCIe (over M.2), so I suppose it's some DMA screwery, where it starts writing to random parts of memory because it's failing, but I'd like to know the details of what happened there if possible. Does the Linux kernel have any protections against that?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: March 18, 2021, 06:06:07 am »

I have no idea. I just know that it does bad shit to zram pages, such that zram starts bitching it cannot decompress pages, applications go apeshit, then the system goes bananas.

Also, the chip constantly gets its firmware blob corrupted and tries to reload it umpteen billion times, ultimately getting so cockered up that it just cant reinitialize anymore.

So, rather than futz with it, I just blacklisted the iwlwifi driver and moved on with my life.

(also, the verbose info about the device is seen with lsusb -vv done with an sudo.)

Spoiler: Lotsa text! (click to show/hide)

and the driver needed can be inferred from the USBID page...
https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/0bda/c811

Yes, also using the package from
https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.git
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:13:41 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: March 18, 2021, 07:06:24 am »

Wow, bang-on. It's the exact same chip, right down to the ID.

I quite enjoy how Realtek didn't bother with the serials at all; they literally just put in "123456" as the serial on both of our units, assuming there wasn't some freak accident where we both ended up with the same, suspiciously-generic serial number.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: March 20, 2021, 12:39:01 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:01:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: March 20, 2021, 01:01:51 pm »

I do hope we achieve mastery over our bodies.  I feel like civilization is going to collapse first, but I'm ready to be wrong.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: March 20, 2021, 01:02:03 pm »

I assume you mean shift, but the typo makes it a very potent image.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: March 20, 2021, 01:35:46 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:01:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: March 20, 2021, 03:47:14 pm »

DON MCLEAN CAN GO SUCK THE DEVIL'S Anono wait its ok.

*breathes*

I'm trying to work with a midi of American Pie and it's extremely challenging. I'm sure I'll get it -.-
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: March 20, 2021, 04:30:10 pm »

Yesterday was just crappy and at the end of it all I spent a long time in the beauty aisle.  Then I missed a chance to make a "Please! Mister Rolan was my father" joke.

Such a stupid thing that normally doesn't seem to bother me, but it was an altogether gross day.  Got a fun dream about a screaming human being absorbed into a pale slithering amoeba which then sprouted a unique protrusion from the same spot, but fortunately it was all laser-nuked by the ancient race of Yith or something.  Weeee.
Sometimes I feel really good, even normal, but other times I have to hide from my friends a little while.  That's okay.  I'm alright.  Walking helps.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: March 20, 2021, 06:22:15 pm »

Uvulitus* sucks :-\

* Dangly thing in your throat swelling up. Third time in my life I've had this happen, and I'm becoming increasingly suspicious I've somehow managed to unluck into a rare condition related to it; I have, like, no other symptoms I can detect, just like the last two times. No fever, not really a sore throat, etc. This is apparently a thing that happens, but... rarely -- almost always the swelling is related to or concurrent with other symptoms. With little research into it, 'cause it doesn't happen to many people and it's usually not life threatening or anything, just annoying and painful. Incidentally, this is annoying and painful.

... but yeah, kinda' looks like my uvula, specifically, is somehow mildly allergic to something in tap water. Thursday I drank some from a fridge dispenser, friday there were mild sore throat symptoms, today it's very clearly the dangly thing swollen up again. The last two times I had this were also concurrent with drinking from a tap (though those times were over a longer period... I had thought I'd be okay if I wasn't drinking it for a few days), which I was mostly avoiding just in case (and hadn't had an issue with it for like a decade), but... here I am, again. Third time and enemy action and whatnot...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: March 21, 2021, 12:06:36 pm »

Does it happen too with boiled tap water? (Tea)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 774