Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 839524 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8700 on: March 21, 2021, 03:55:29 pm »

Not as near as I've been able to tell, if that's even what's going on. Tea's fine, cooking's fine. Ice is okay, I think... don't actually use ice much at all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: March 21, 2021, 06:08:12 pm »

I shagged someone then punched then in the face and then they pinned me down saying they could do what they want. Kinda weird day.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: March 21, 2021, 06:24:00 pm »

That seems like an extremely bad day.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: March 21, 2021, 07:00:18 pm »

I shagged someone then punched them in the face and then they pinned me down saying they could do what they want. Kinda weird day.

Did you mean this?  ^^

or this:

I shagged someone then got punched in the face and then they pinned me down saying they could do what they want. Kinda weird day.

If it's the first, then I sort of see where they're coming from. The second makes more logical sense to me though.

EDIT: deleted the final cringe sentence. Completely misunderstood the situation. It’d be comical if it wasn’t such a grave topic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:56:05 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: March 21, 2021, 07:20:42 pm »

If it's the first, then I sort of see where they're coming from.

Bro, probably not the time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: March 21, 2021, 07:40:30 pm »

then they pinned me down saying they could do what they want.

Oh fuck! Upon rereading that, I just realized what they probably meant. I read it literally the first time and assumed it just ended there. I also forgot Caz wasn’t a guy.

@Caz

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I hope I didn’t hurt you too much.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:52:16 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: March 21, 2021, 08:28:34 pm »

I shagged someone then punched then in the face and then they pinned me down saying they could do what they want. Kinda weird day.
That's... wow. Okay. Are you, overall, doing okay, Caz?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: March 22, 2021, 04:43:50 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:01:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: March 22, 2021, 06:38:29 am »

That definitely sounds like more than just kinda weird; that's horrifying. And to have that on top of everything else that's happening right now... It's shit icing on a shit cake. I'm so sorry.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: March 23, 2021, 05:00:06 pm »

Doubleposting and all that...

This evening, as part of an online photo event/prompt/thing/whatever, I was made to face my own dispassion.

The prompt was to present something that made us feel empowered, or present it in a way that made us feel empowered, and I... Don't really have anything of the sort.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a great number of successes in my life, and overcome some decent challenges. ...but there have been very few times when I can say I really resonated with the word "empowered". It seems almost alien to try and apply it to myself.

I had a friend tell me that just doing something that you love is empowering, but... What do I love? There's not really anything I feel successful enough with to love doing it, nor any medium of expression I feel free enough with to love creating through it.

There isn't really anything that gives me satisfaction like that, at least nothing that comes to mind offhand. Maybe that's more a symptom of the grooves my thought processes have dug over the years rather than how much or little I actually *feel* about things, but... Yeah. I don't really love anything. I have no passions.

But despite this, I at least keep trying. I keep moving forward, however slowly. And I suppose I can take comfort in that; to be content to try and reach that lofty goal. That's my power.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: March 23, 2021, 05:24:06 pm »

Man, I know that feeling. Fairly significantly doubt it'll ever change, too, as I'm pretty sure it won't unless I actually manage to achieve physical/fiscal security and, just. I don't see that happening.

Totally have an answer to the prompt, though: Whatever would guarantee food/shelter/health for the rest of my life. Not having to worry about homelessness, starvation, or persistent medical malaise would be amazing. That'd be empowering as fuck.

Don't get that when you're poverty line in the US and approaching disabled, though. Mostly you're just kinda' fucked.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: March 24, 2021, 04:08:47 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:03:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: March 24, 2021, 04:21:38 am »

Man, I know that feeling. Fairly significantly doubt it'll ever change, too, as I'm pretty sure it won't unless I actually manage to achieve physical/fiscal security and, just. I don't see that happening.

Totally have an answer to the prompt, though: Whatever would guarantee food/shelter/health for the rest of my life. Not having to worry about homelessness, starvation, or persistent medical malaise would be amazing. That'd be empowering as fuck.

Don't get that when you're poverty line in the US and approaching disabled, though. Mostly you're just kinda' fucked.

I can attest to this, however-- that knowledge or skill is mostly impotent, due to the obnoxious action of modern society.

This time last year I was flexing those skills and abilities pretty hard by eating the tasty weeds from my yard, in a bid to avoid going to the store. Many a dinner was concocted from purple deadnettle, white clover, and lambsquarters, served with rice and beans.

Later in the year, I ate mushrooms grown in the closet many times, along with shitloads of tomato and hot pepper.

I also happen to know how to make more than 10 kinds of shelter, ranging from temporary to permanent-- and how to produce simple medicinal preparations from local flora... (I stuck with stuff that has some research indicating efficacy. Not hoodoo.)

Part of the unusual childhood I had, I guess-- I have pretty well honed skills from the many "Weeks long" camping trips we did over the summers.

Yes. VERY empowering.  I do not actually *NEED* modern society.  It merely offers convenience and consistency.

the problem, is that the modern society considers you an aberration if you demonstrate such abilities, or worse still, a proclivity toward exercising them-- Foraging on public lands gets the parks service up your ass, as they worry about you engaging in unsustainable harvesting practices (and for good reason), et al.

That just leaves people who either own their own land to forage on, or people who have close associations with people who have land to forage on.  I have a reasonably good sized back yard, but it is not really sufficient.  I am able to greatly offset my food needs with a large summer garden, but not 100%.  I do not have any close associations that have such large parcels of land either.

So, while such skill is very much an abstract form of empowerment, it is also a source of great internal melancholia, which is the exact opposite of empowerment.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: March 24, 2021, 08:01:13 am »

I could survive a cataclysm if I knew more people like wierd - I can do all the "mechanical" things, like I can probably get you clean running water and even electricity if you want it pretty easily, even starting from just wood and rocks and dirt, but I just don't have the skills to keep you fed.

You keep me fed, I'll keep you stocked with productivity-enhancing technology. And by that I mean real tools like durable shovels and hammers and axes, not things like some kind of machine-learning based productivity tool that enhances your team's synergies.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: March 24, 2021, 08:18:06 am »

Browsing USB thumbdrives (mostly for multiboot applications), and I see one that has "USB 3.2 Gen 1". You wanna know what USB 3.2 Gen 1 is? It's the exact fucking same as the OG "USB 3.0", and the exact fucking same as "USB 3.1 Gen 1". The same technology is referred to by 3 names.

Damn you, USB-IF. Damn you all to hell. You made me think it was better for a few seconds. I'd rather be in the Dark Ages of an unstandardized world, where everyone and their mother had their own standards.

I've seen glimpses of what kernel devs have to suffer through to implement USB. It's pretty much its own circle of hell. Reading the OSDev page on it has given me a newfound respect for anyone who can implement USB at all.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 775