Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 842082 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9285 on: October 01, 2021, 11:32:41 pm »

Joshua, I think it's okay to pin that thought that it's 'mental sickness' and refer to it sometimes when you've got that loathing going on- you deserve as much as anyone to be content, or happy, or pursue interests, or comforts, or what have you, and we as your local community appreciate you who you are as you are, warts and all, and want the best for you, or at least peace with yourself, no matter how long it takes. You have value to us and to yourself as you are for who you are. Wanting a better version of yourself doesn't take away from the value you possess to us now, no matter what form it takes.

I think we've maybe oversimplified the matter of 'purpose' or 'what we want in life' or assume that's an easy conclusion to reach, when life's more complicated than that, particularly when it's turned on its head for viral reasons. Fortunately, so long as good health holds, it's okay enough and enough of the doing to put those thoughts aside and just accept that 'being well' is purpose enough, and if you've got will to share, helping your friends be well, physically or psychologically. And it's okay if it doesn't boil down in your circumstance here, too, since purpose is still a complicated thing.

More cynically, perhaps, I've always rather liked one particular line from Path of Exile: "Only those who aspire can dare to hope." The change in the world happens on account of the doing we put into it, so if you've got something you'd hope for, better put the legwork in, yah? Maybe it's just reaching tomorrow, but it's the doing all the same. I'm not one to tell anyone what to want or expect out of life, I'm just happy to amplify a will when it's shared softly and deserving of a roar.

Edit: I hope this made sense, I was a little drunk. I know I can't offer much to grapple with self-loathing, but you're always welcome to a little self-worth on us.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:23:09 pm by None »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: October 02, 2021, 11:34:59 am »

No I think it's when you say "I know that I know nothing", grin, and then push/teach all your positions using questions.

That said, Socrates was a wrestler and I feel dirty (and intimidated) for sullying his name by associating him with "just asking questions" dipshits.
http://guildedage.net/comic/chapter-31-page-1/
(And the next page.  Exploring the idea of Platonic concepts)

Edit: Heh I forgot it goes on for a third page, complete with a hushed heckler pointing out how Socratic lecturing is not always about back-and-forth.

No, you are not sullying his name. That is exactly what he was like.

I believe it was Plato who was a wrestler, by the way. Maybe they both were.

That comic is wrong, by the way, and nurturing the myth that Socrates was killed for "telling truths to the wrong people" (fourth page). Also Plato was a super Socrates fanboy but the Socrates we meet in Plato's writings (such as the cave) is not Socrates himself but Socrates-used-as-a-tool-to-speak-Plato's-ideas. Basically Plato was such a big fanboy that instead of stating his own ideas in his writings he had them formulated in such a way that it was Socrates stating them to Plato. It's basically the authorial equivalent of this scene.

Anyway back to the point about the myth. Socrates wasn't executed because he "told truths". He was executed because he openly and blatantly was an enemy to the Athenian state, in favour of Sparta and Spartan rule over Athens, and his students had at two separate times led coups against the Athenian democracy in cooperation with Sparta, the second one succeeding in overthrowing the Athenian state for several months during which they murdered 5-10% (I can't remember exactly) of the Athenian populace and exiled others. When later defending himself against the accusations of collaboration with the tyrants, Socrates defence basically amounted to "but I didn't personally kill anyone!".

When one talks about Socrates' trial the quote that he was "put on trial for corrupting the youth of Athens" is often thrown about without context. In the spirit of our times where counter-culture is norm and we look back at the last 200 years and see moralists shouting "they're corrupting the youths with their jazz/rock/metal/comic books/beatnic poetry/pop/roleplaying games/etc etc forever" it is easy to automatically frame this accusation in the light of our culture and it's experiences. But the "corruption" he was put on trial for was not "moral corruption" in that sense. They way he corrupted the youth was by teaching Spartan supremacy and advocating for the destruction of the Athenian democracy. This is why he was sentenced to death in the wake of the year of terror that he had planted the seeds for.

Socrates can take his gadfly and stick it up his arse. His philosophy reeks of superiority complex and navel gazing. His only claim to praise is coming before the people who really matters -- much in the same way the stone age guy who threw a piece of meat in the fire and scorched it can be praised for "inventing cooking" while the actual cooks were the people who started putting meat above the fire :P
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: October 02, 2021, 11:39:58 am »

Socrates can take his gadfly and stick it up his arse. His philosophy reeks of superiority complex and navel gazing. His only claim to praise is coming before the people who really matters -- much in the same way the stone age guy who threw a piece of meat in the fire and scorched it can be praised for "inventing cooking" while the actual cooks were the people who started putting meat above the fire :P

a quality poast
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: October 02, 2021, 12:09:45 pm »

I immediately regret speaking in such definitives, though. Preferably I don't think historical persons should have their flaws and sins and virtues and accomplishments measured against each other like it's on some kind of scales, I just get emotional when I start writing things and one-track myself (Socrates would dance around me in an argument like a matador around a bull no doubt). I'm a bit of a Xenophon fanboy myself and he was basically the same as Socrates (he was another one of his students) except -- unless my impression of him through what others have written about him is incorrect -- not as intense in his contempt for democracy.

There is value to the Socratic Method and all that that entails, when I originally responded to nenjin I just wanted to seize the opportunity to rag on Socrates because he was mentioned by relation.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: October 02, 2021, 12:10:13 pm »

Just finished the Many Deaths of the Black Company. Next book kind of in line is Port of Shadows, that was kinda tough to track down, had to resort to ebay, which doesn't have the best track record of delivering shit.

But beyond that, there's supposed to be one more book, nobody but Cook probably knows when, and he's an old guy, so it might never actually happen.

Either way, my time in this world I've enjoyed so immensely over the past year or so is drawing to a close it feels like. They were great stories and I guess I'll always be able to come back to them, but it'll be like looking at a photo album of some big event instead of living trough it as it happened.

This always happens when I finish a book/series of books and it always kinda hurts, it's generally a good thing because you know the work touched you in some way, but it's still not fun to go trough it. Especially since I've been a bit more aware of my emotions lately I guess? And some other stuff that happened too is not helping too much ( generally positive changes, but they have me reflecting on my own flaws and demons in turn)

I'm rambling at this point, might turn into more than a mild upset it feels like, anyways, the Black Company books are damn good stuff, go read them if you get the chance.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: October 02, 2021, 04:06:22 pm »

FUCKING linux

I accidentally deleted the folder containing my wallpaper and can no longer open the widget to change my wallpaper because the widget hinges on my file manager which hinges on the desktop environment which hinges on this FUCKING WALLPAPER I DELETED

how in the bloody fuck does the existence of my wallpaper determine whether or not i can fundamentally use my filesystem or change the wallpaper

why the fuck does my file manager own my desktop environment

how in the fuck is the file manager responsible for my wallpaper

why the christ does pcmanfm-qt open and hang silently without giving me errors that i can take online to fix this with

It's fine though, it's fixed, only took an hour, but that's okay the file manager config determines if it lives or dies and not any environment variables or settings actually
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 04:14:33 pm by None »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: October 08, 2021, 08:13:48 am »

edit: i lost bc i threated myself bad sleeping through the day and drinking through the night and i work 6 days a week and this was my first real time off since february and it sucked and barely 3 days left now

eeeeuuuughnnnn ....... :( it's no use anyway

the initial thinking was well better only be miserable 2 days a week than 5, but well even better to leech every second the system "works"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:10:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: October 09, 2021, 04:09:56 am »

Firefox 93 is out and Mozilla still hasn't fixed webrender.

And now the old fix for the tearing doesn't work.

* da_nang slams his head on the desk.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: October 09, 2021, 08:43:02 am »

Do forks like Palemoon or Waterfox work for your needs?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: October 09, 2021, 02:09:34 pm »

What is webrender?
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: October 09, 2021, 05:37:29 pm »

Do forks like Palemoon or Waterfox work for your needs?
I'll have to look up add-on compatibility. I'd prefer to not change browsers, given I'd probably lose the profile data. Maybe I'll switch over to Firefox ESR, but geez.

I've been on Team Firefox since early 2000s. It hurts to leave the ship.

What is webrender?
It's what Firefox uses to render webpages and the UI. They used to have several options, including glorious WebGL that just worked. Now it's just webrender.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: October 09, 2021, 05:39:56 pm »

I've been on Team Firefox since early 2000s. It hurts to leave the ship.

I feel much the same.
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: October 10, 2021, 04:00:00 am »

Or you could just not update it and go back to a version that doesn't have that problem.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: October 10, 2021, 04:19:23 am »

Huh, sure enough, there is a setting to make updates opt-in rather than just "You rebooted- welcome to your new UI!".  (I think it's been many months since they drastically rearranged the UI, it's just a sensitive thing for many people such as myself.)

I'm still mostly satisfied with Firefox, though.  (trying to resist the urge to bitch about them joining the Flash drop, yet again)

If nothing else, I'd rather not lose the - one sec-
...wait, that can't be right.  Firefox says I have 1151 tabs.
in my main window
My media tab has a much more reasonable 235, and then I have another 2 windows with ~20 each.

1151, huh.  That seems a bit excessive.
I did get a good laugh out of a streamer remarking on someone having, wow, 10 tabs open!  As if that that's a lot, haha.  I didn't expect that from her as a streamer who loads up a lot of content to go through.

I only close a tab when I'm sure I'm done looking at a page.  I restart Firefox fairly often, which ices all the tabs that aren't on top (recovering the memory).  They're basically bookmarks, but specifically waiting for me to reconsider them at my leisure.
Protip: Putting a percent sign before typing into the URL bar will specifically search tabs, instead of just history.  I use that a lot.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 04:21:56 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: October 10, 2021, 04:27:21 am »

Oh good I'm not the only person that has loads of tabs open at the same time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 775