Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 841526 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9300 on: October 10, 2021, 05:55:41 am »

You guys are monsters... 3 tabs maximum.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: October 10, 2021, 06:01:26 am »

How do you even wiki-binge though?  I'm not criticizing, just amazed at how people use technology differently.
I'll open up like 6-10 wiki pages relevant to a game I've been playing lately, and leave them there, and skip back to them with % whenever I need.  "%blue magic", etc.  Weeks later they're buried, and I come across them while clearing out tabs, and think "Hm, do I want to play some more FFTA2?  Nah" and clear them out.  Or sometimes I did want to keep playing!  It's like a storage area for thoughts.  I can't remember what that would be called  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: October 10, 2021, 06:04:19 am »

Wiki-binging is a good way to see the difference, I'll pop open two or three tabs, read them or skim them entirely, close them, then return to the original article. Repeat until red-eyed and sleepy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: October 10, 2021, 06:46:46 am »

I can't compare to rolan but before I lost them (again) I had over a hundred tabs in my main window. Since I can't seem to be able to make Firefox remember closed windows further than four windows ago, all those tabs (and they were all necessary too! That's the stable amount after I've trimmed away the chaff) were lost when I had the window temporarily closed and received a series of script warning pop ups which apparently all counted as windows. So sigh.

I installed a session manager now to hopefully keep tgst from happening again. Unfortunately this has the side effect of not remembering back/forth history per tab... So I will probably have to start using even more tabs now.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: October 10, 2021, 09:14:56 am »

I'll have to look up add-on compatibility. I'd prefer to not change browsers, given I'd probably lose the profile data. Maybe I'll switch over to Firefox ESR, but geez.

I've been on Team Firefox since early 2000s. It hurts to leave the ship.

Yeah, that's why I suggested a fork. All of my add-ons were compatible, bookmarks are always easy to port over, and it's mostly the same browser without the most recent decisions implemented. I've still kept Firefox installed, but I pretty much don't use it anymore.

I'm still mostly satisfied with Firefox, though.  (trying to resist the urge to bitch about them joining the Flash drop, yet again)

I wish Adobe hadn't prevented people from making reasonable versions of Flash. It was useful, but was wildly insecure. Javascript is similar, but much easier to block or lock down until you decide to trust it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: October 10, 2021, 12:34:45 pm »

I have seven tabs open right now. Normally I have 4+. Habitica, three work email accounts, and then whatever I'm actually using that day. At the moment, it's /bay/ x 2 and ANIME BUTTERFLY MEME MAKER.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: October 10, 2021, 02:35:26 pm »

It's... it's okay. I only have about three hundred or so between the tablet (mostly read-y things) and the laptop (youtube vids plus bureaucracy junk), I think. Might be four, I'unno. Tablet Opera gives up on counting after a hundred.

... I've been trying to pare down the tablet pile, but it... doesn't really work. You start trying to finish reading something then part way through open up another half dozen tabs for other stories. Even closing one or two a day by catching up to the end of the whatever, the tab horde grows.

fake edit: actually I eyeball estimated the firefox tabs and it's, uh, somewhere over 400 by itself, so the actual total guess is. Um. Probably closer to 1k than not? ahaha
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: October 10, 2021, 07:54:40 pm »

frumple tends not one but two libraries

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:22 pm »

I know and am guilty of excessive game backlog
But tab backlog??
That’s a level of madness beyond
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: October 11, 2021, 02:41:01 am »

I think most of my open tabs are Bay12 and a few google searches I've been meaning to look into, I used to have way more but the computer I'm on now days can't take it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: October 11, 2021, 03:06:05 am »

I bet it could.  My ~2000 tabs basically just take up a little disk space, not memory.  As long as you periodically restart Firefox, each "frozen" tab is just a few bytes until you wake it up.

I always say it's like making bookmarks, but it's so much better than that.  I can "ctrl-l %fallen" to load up my Fallen London tab, and it's right next to a bunch of wiki pages (which don't load until I click on them).  I can scroll back a little and observe a night, from news articles to bay12 posts, and smile with recollection.  It's a narrative.  I do try to prune the parts which no longer bring me joy but only so I can find the good stuff easier.  There's probably a lot of chaff still there, in the apparently over 1000 tabs I have open, but it's not a pressing issue.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: October 12, 2021, 03:26:29 am »

Oh dear are you in 800x600? It is legal to have as many tabs as the screen is wide... Sides scrolling tabs are of the devil though.
let

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: October 12, 2021, 03:53:53 am »

Yeah, three...
THOUSAND!!!
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: October 12, 2021, 08:31:18 am »

Yeah, three...
THOUSAND!!!
WHAT? 3000?!? THERE’S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!!!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: October 12, 2021, 08:46:13 am »

*checks scouter*

My god... his tabs...

They're over 9000
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 775