Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 772

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 820120 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9435 on: November 10, 2021, 07:00:43 am »

Brussels sprouts are tasty and nice. EXCEPT when morons boil them beyond still having a bite, then they will indeed suffer from terrible garbage smell.

As a general rule of thumb, it goes for most veggies. Don't boil them beyond still having a bite, and they will taste the best.

Btw, corn is not a veggie. It's a grain.

Brussels sprouts have a bad rep. Most kids don't like them. This is, however, not to blame on the sprout, the real culprit being that most folks nowadays can't cook for shit. Like, they don't even know the most basic of basics about cooking. If you ask them what they need to prepare a meal, they'll say 'a smartphone', or if you're lucky, 'a microwave'.
If you ever have kids, have them help cook food and bake things, starting at a young age. Their future health and your grandkids' culinary sanity depend on it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 07:08:38 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: November 10, 2021, 08:05:26 am »

Meh brussels sprout is among the worst veggies with broccoli and chicory. Even white cabbage can be decent while stinking all the same. I have yet to meet a veggie that is not leagues better steamee than cooked. And yes you are so right about this being a learning process / lifeskill, without my ex who was mostly vegetarian I still wouldn't know so much food, my mom is definitly not a skilled cook.

I get your annoyance though Joshua, it happens to me too to have craving for unhealthy food and to get irrationally angry at alternatives, makes one feel like a little kid. One the other hand though I must also that there were things that at one point I forced myself to eat then just wound up admitting to myself that I really don't like them.

Peas arecoo' though arent peas cool?
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: November 10, 2021, 08:52:25 am »

Like, I developed a ridiculous bias against vegetables as a child, and even as an adult whose tastes have changed, and I can put the corn and peas into my mouth and taste them and objectively think "This isn't that bad, it's pretty decent actually", I can't help but just look at them and my brain is screaming at me to just immediately put it into the garbage. I'm mildly upset at myself for retaining my immature taste in food all the way up into almost middle age.
I mean, I'm pretty middle age at this point and can't even put the corn and peas in my mouth and think "this isn't that bad", because they both taste objectively horrible to me, like most vegetables, and have since I was a kid. Your taste in food is your taste in food, there's no mature or immature to it. It can change, but its change is its change and your change, not some kind of adjustment on a maturity scale of taste.

Exposure may or may not work, I've been trying for over a decade to develop tolerance to the stuff and almost all of it tastes as shit on day 4200 as they did on day 1. There's been points when trying has outright caused me to vomit due to the stuff just tasting that goddamn bad to me. Most gains I've managed for all the trouble is not having as much problem with onion powder, if it's used lightly (and anything it's in tastes better if it's just... not).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: November 10, 2021, 10:14:40 am »

Corn and peas are pretty low-tier veggies anyways, but they're great filler for a soup. Or a linguini, I suppose.

I love the idea of most vegetables, but my immune system does not. Would love to be able to enjoy carrots and celery and apples and peaches and things as snacks without becoming itchy/nauseous/destroying toilet bowls. Seriously, I love love love pears, but I hate hate hate having Slime Time Live localized entirely within my bathroom.

Similarly, I'm thinking I need to cut onions out of my diet, even cooked ones. It makes me sweat onion smell and liquefies my insides. Pretty sure I've always been blaming that behavior on cheese or beans or something, but on reflection, i'm pretty sure it's always been onions.

It's funny- my sister and her husband are totally split on loving/hating onions strictly by taste preference. 'Fraid I have to join Team #NoOnion against my better preference.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: November 10, 2021, 10:23:55 am »

Onions are literally the best ever and I will not hear anything else, except maybe about corn/maize because maize-corn is literally the best ever and I will not hear anything else. I could eat nothing but fried potato, maize and onion for days and days

Also maize-corn aren't grains at all, they're veggies, and tomatoes aren't fruit, they're veggies. Vegetableness is not a matter of biological descendancy but a matter of nature
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:52 am »

Onions literally are the best ever. They're just too powerful for my body. Q_Q

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: November 10, 2021, 11:59:54 am »

The only form of corn that could possibly be considered a veggie is sweetcorn (ie. the kind of you think of when you eat corn on a cob). Every other form of corn has its kernels develop a hardened shell that needs to be processed in some form in order to be edible. A good example is popcorn corn.

It’s crazy to think that how a single atypical breed managed to be the mascot of an entire family of crops, despite having the least in common with them. You probably could successfully argue that sweetcorn is a vegetable and not a grain, but every other form of corn is definitely a grain and not a vegetable.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: November 10, 2021, 03:35:19 pm »

Posted a cooking lesson in the kitchen thread. It includes, but is not limited to vegetables.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: November 11, 2021, 01:58:15 am »

I always hear that people love cooked spinach but I can't get past how it looks like green vomit and tastes awful.

Also black eyed peas and regular peas are also awful.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: November 11, 2021, 11:34:38 am »

Spinach is great! Nettles is great too.

Also black eyed peas and regular peas are also awful.

found the khorne cultist
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: November 11, 2021, 11:59:24 am »

Spinach is BASED. I follow the Popeye diet and train nothing but forearms.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: November 11, 2021, 08:39:51 pm »

Always glad to see you by and well, Yoink.

Lettuce can pound salt, spinach is the premier leafy green, I absolutely agree. You'd think I wouldn't get a head rush every time I stand up from all the iron I should be getting from eating spinach...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: November 12, 2021, 08:48:38 am »

These days you're getting head spins from the impact of your 110% iron blood hitting the brain at the speed of your heart
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: November 12, 2021, 09:12:10 am »

Writer's fucking block. That's all.

I won't make it in time for NaNoWriMo and I accepted that TBH. I'll write my yet-unnamed hard SF novel at my own pace.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: November 12, 2021, 04:30:37 pm »

Waterfox "updated" to the horrid new Firefox UI.

Here it is  :D
In fact if you want more sun in the morning you want to do the exact opposite of daylight savings, which increases the daylight in the evening.

Hot take: We abolish Daylight Savings Time, but then implement Daylight Spendings Time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:17:14 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 772