Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 840391 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9510 on: December 20, 2021, 07:04:21 am »

Christmas certainly is the most racist time of the year.
All over town, people are singing about dreaming of a white christmas.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: December 20, 2021, 07:55:47 am »

... for what it's worth, it's snow. This time it's actually talking about snow. There's a verse often left off that makes that more clear, placing the singer somewhere like... well, where I'm at, that hasn't seen snow since the early 90s.

There's pretty certainly some asshats that use it otherwise, but the intent is and was just talking about a snowy winter landscape in context of not being in one at christmas.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: December 20, 2021, 10:38:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure martinuzz was making a pun of sorts, let's be charitable!
I have a cold burning disgust and fear of Christmas which I'm doing my best to work through, but it's not because of racism.

It's me working through childhood trauma.  If it was something more than that, I'd be explaining that, but it isn't.  I have my problems with Christianity and other Abrahamic religions, but my problems with Christmas and ANY ritual of gift-giving are a separate thing.

As proof, I have a similar reaction to birthdays and long ago made a pact with my brother to not exchange gifts.

Edit:  I'm finally playing Outer Worlds and I can relate with Ellie a lot.  It's difficult to accept a gift as, well, a gift.  I learned that every gift comes with strings and expectations.

But that's just me.  It's a nice thought to imagine a lot of people just giving each other creative gifts.  I used to give my friends creative gifts.  That was nice. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:41:15 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: December 21, 2021, 12:01:03 am »

I actually thought it was probably just a misaimed post, something for the terrible jokes thread or whatever, but... just in case, heh.

I hear you on the gifts thing, though. I've always been kinda' eh on it, and for the longest longest time I didn't really have the money or much in the way of interpersonal connections to give much, and haven't expected anything in... I'unno, ever or somethin'. Lately-ish I've been starting to dabble a little more. Gave a spice mix (plus recipe, for what little mixing together a couple different kinds of noodle seasoning counts as one) I'm fond of making to the person who taught me my current job, copy of the driving music to younger family, big ol' pile of OCRemix (32 gig flash drive, slam full -- pointedly, it's something with a copyright license usable in public work!) to a co-worker that'd lost a spouse and had to leave for elsewhere, stuff like that.

It's a weird thing to wrap your head around, and reciprocal gifting in general is just... no. Y'know? Gifting with an expectation to get something in return just feels off, same as being given something with the expectation to give something back. If there's strings and expectations and whatnot involved it's just not a gift anymore, yeah? "You don't have to give anything in return" was something emphasized a lot as I was growing up, both ways, and I guess it internalized really strongly. That feels right. You don't give with expectations or strings or when it's a financial/whatever burden, you give because you're able and you want to, and you give freely or you don't give.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: December 21, 2021, 12:16:33 am »

Maybe you and I are coming at if from a simple exchange scenario. 
But that's never what I experienced.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: December 21, 2021, 02:19:07 am »

Yeah, it was just my black uhm.. coloured sense of humor.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: December 21, 2021, 04:54:18 pm »

You should keep the terrible jokes to the terrible jokes thread.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: December 22, 2021, 05:23:29 pm »

I am having the most horrific sweet tooth and designing the most unholy abominations in my head. Milkshakes with cake batter mixed in. A "pizza" where the crust is a cookie, the sauce is frosting and the toppings are all my favorite candies. Donut sticks with melted ice cream for dipping/drinking. Queen Anne's Cherries with Fireball whiskey added to the inside.

Basically, if it has sugar (especially chocolate,) I'm in the mood to combine it, no matter how little it makes sense or how childish it is.

The mildly upsetting part is I have no capacity to do any of this right now. :'(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: December 22, 2021, 06:00:06 pm »

I am having the most horrific sweet tooth and designing the most unholy abominations in my head. Milkshakes with cake batter mixed in. A "pizza" where the crust is a cookie, the sauce is frosting and the toppings are all my favorite candies. Donut sticks with melted ice cream for dipping/drinking. Queen Anne's Cherries with Fireball whiskey added to the inside.

Basically, if it has sugar (especially chocolate,) I'm in the mood to combine it, no matter how little it makes sense or how childish it is.

The mildly upsetting part is I have no capacity to do any of this right now. :'(
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure all of those (except maybe the whisky infused cherries?*) are things you can just... buy. Cake batter/cookie dough milkshakes are definitely a thing, cookie pizzas they literally sell at pizza hut, donut sticks with what amounts to milkshakes for dipping is pretty easy to get, etc. You're still making enough sense major fast food chains produce it :P

*e: nope you can apparently buy some kinds off amazon lol
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: December 24, 2021, 04:19:24 pm »

Yeah all of that exists in the US. We have sausages wrapped in pancakes on a stick.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: December 24, 2021, 05:00:55 pm »

Yeah all of that exists in the US. We have sausages wrapped in pancakes on a stick.

Man, I did that myself with chocolate-chip waffles just this morning.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: December 24, 2021, 05:22:51 pm »

It's just really tasty breakfast food, tbh. Like, it even makes sense if you think about it, as sausages are delicious with sweet things and go great with breadstuff, and pancakes are sweet breadstuff, so. You wrap one in the other. Usually the sausage in the pancake but the other way actually works fine, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: December 25, 2021, 04:11:31 am »

How do you rap a sausage around a pancake?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: December 25, 2021, 04:32:53 am »

Ask epic rap battles.

How you would do it without sexual innuendos popping up like mushrooms after a rain is anyone's guess though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: December 25, 2021, 08:11:32 am »

How do you rap a sausage around a pancake?
Use the sausage patties, mostly.

... the easiest way isn't so much wrap like a sausage dog as just use a couple sausage patties as the bread of a pancake sandwich. Least trouble is with mini pancake setups, they generally fit perfectly between a couple of sausage patties. It's pretty nice if you're feeling like more sausage than pancake.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 775