Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855399 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3690 on: March 05, 2018, 08:26:31 pm »

My wife thought that the yellow part of an egg turned into the baby chick when we met wayyyyy back in the day.

We been dating since high, school, that was a long time ago, and I thought it was super adorable.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 05, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »

Does milking a cow hurt it, if not I'm not sure why vegans have some problem against it, even more with wool....
You can't have a diary farm without butchering 99% of all male calves.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 05, 2018, 08:40:49 pm »

Does milking a cow hurt it, if not I'm not sure why vegans have some problem against it, even more with wool....
You can't have a diary farm without butchering 99% of all male calves.
They all die in the end.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 05, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »

Do dairy farms have a lot of calves? Or do they also generally breed the cows for their beef at the same time? That would make sense.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 05, 2018, 08:48:13 pm »

They all die in the end.

All humans die in the end too. Doesn't mean that medical science is useless.

Um, also. That chart. I'm not sure where you found it, what the context of the data is, or even what the title of the chart is, but it doesn't seem particularly relevant to the discussion at hand, particularly when one considers that it has "wool" and "kent (mod)" (whatever that is) on it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 05, 2018, 08:55:23 pm »

It obviously graphs the population of cows that give meat, cows that give milk, cows that give wool, and cows that give birth to moderators named Kent
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 05, 2018, 09:05:28 pm »

It's a survivorship curve. That's what it looks like when you plot out this stuff.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 05, 2018, 10:28:08 pm »

I reduced my energy drink intake to two per day. Still too much, that stuff is pure poison (well, mostly it's sugar content is).
I tried the sugarfree versions but man those are gross.
Coffee is better. Needs way less sugar to achieve the same sweetness.
Huh, actually my energy drink for yesterday and today (yes, I have at last been reunited with it and am currently drinking it on my lunch break) was the sugar-free variety of Monster.
Mainly because it was on special, but it tastes pretty nice too and has a delightful embossed can to obsess over. The other day I mentally described its taste as "severely stale but somehow still carbonated boozy fruit punch with a light dusting of cigarette ash stirred through", but today it just tastes like pure energy.

...and artificially impregnate the mothers for several years to keep them producing milk before slaughtering them once fertility declines.
Ah, the ol' r*pe rod. Learning of that sort of thing is what originally shocked me into cutting dairy, too. I feel like if I hadn't ditched agriculture class as an elective subject in high school as soon as I was able I probably would have skipped vegetarianism and gone straight to vegan once they taught us dairy stuff. ^~^;

I pretty much agree with all your points. I think it would be very difficult for egg/dairy/wool farming to ever become ethical, though - to reach that "symbiotic" would probably be more like a pet ownership-type deal rather than any large scale commercial business.

...Man that was a good energy drink. ^-^
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: March 06, 2018, 05:39:14 am »

Do dairy farms have a lot of calves? Or do they also generally breed the cows for their beef at the same time? That would make sense.
They are impregnated regularily, and their newborn calves are taken away immediatly so they can get pregnant again sooner, to keep milk production high.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 06, 2018, 05:55:13 am »

Had an unplanned nap and in the meantime it got cold, so I woke up rather shivery.
This ridiculous "no shoes in the house" rule is making me wish I owned some slippers.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 06, 2018, 01:27:34 pm »

They are impregnated regularily, and their newborn calves are taken away immediatly so they can get pregnant again sooner, to keep milk production high.

Oh right, that makes sense too.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: March 06, 2018, 02:16:46 pm »

Oh right, that makes sense too.

Dairy cattle are also not usually considered good for beef production, so the male calves are usually destined for things other than human consumption, like pet food and animal based fertilizers. Part of breeding good dairy cattle meant directing more energy to growing large udders, with the side effect of their muscles being much less developed than beef cattle who were bred for large muscles and small udders, though most breeds are somewhere between the two extremes.

Cows are very expensive to keep, so few farms are inclined to raise a dairy bull who'll barely make back the cost of raising it if it makes it back at all rather than raising more dairy cows or actual beef cattle, so they get rid of them as soon as they can. Similar with chickens, egg hens usually never reach a table, they have different breeds of bird for it and most males of non-meat breeds (and most males of meat breeds too) get culled basically as soon as they can be identified.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 06, 2018, 03:15:52 pm »

Biologists consider dairy cattle to not be a proper life form, they do not fit within the definition which states that to classify as life, you must be able to reproduce independently. For that reason, virusses don't count as life either, for they can't reproduce without using a host cell.

Dairy cows can't reproduce without human aid. We selectively bred them for larger udders so much, that their pelvis has become too small to give birth over 50% of the time. Which is why vets are so busy pulling calves from cows using chains, or sawing them up into smaller bits inside the womb if they're too late.
If you'd release a herd of dairy cattle in the wild, they would likely die out before they lose the small pelvis through natural selection.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:17:32 pm by martinuzz »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 06, 2018, 03:18:17 pm »

That's just a flawed definition of life. Humans can't reproduce without mitochondria and we can't live without gut flora. Ergo, humans are like virii and aren't alive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 06, 2018, 03:22:11 pm »

Uh-oh, you had a hysterectomy. Guess you aren't life anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 778