Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 422

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly sad today thread  (Read 254628 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread
« Reply #5835 on: April 29, 2019, 09:24:16 am »

I need to write a resignation letter and this is harder than I thought
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: April 29, 2019, 09:37:34 am »

Here's an example to get your mind in the right place:

"Up yours. *Blows Raspberry*"

100% guaranteed to make folks happy to let you go.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: April 29, 2019, 09:49:34 am »

I knew I should have bought more beer.
Well, no, I guess I didn't, but I should have. Damn it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: April 29, 2019, 10:48:21 am »

Remember, the words are less important than the delivery. Is the letter tied to a brick and tossed at the boss? Written in lighter fluid (and where?)? In the form of outing your boss for all of that objectionable material on their hard drive? A mediocre country song?
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: April 29, 2019, 10:54:16 am »

Oh! Oh! It could be whispered seductively into his ear by Dolly Parton.

What a delivery that would be!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: April 29, 2019, 12:24:41 pm »

Well only one of them is a guy. Technically I have to write to HR and the director.

It's kind of hard to actually get around and press the button. The huge notice doesnt help. Makes for many uncomfortable summer meetings.

Here's an example to get your mind in the right place:

"Up yours. *Blows Raspberry*"

100% guaranteed to make folks happy to let you go.
It reflects the sentiment very well but it's hardly political when there are so few people doing what I do on this landmass (and that's including your bit of the landmass).
Not that it would make or break me. I mean, this place has a weird reputation to begin with (something which of course an expat like me wouldnt know beforehand 🤦‍♂️), with low staff retention rates. Odds are nobody would bat an eyelid. And that's for *here* mind you. I could possibly fart Beethoven's fifth symphony and depart the place on the spot without it having any impact whatsoever if I decided to head back home instead.

Which I kind of consider TBH. I went abroad for the experience, and TBH for 2017 and most of 2018 it was really pleasant. But in the last 8 months, eh... kind of a downer.

Plan is actually to take a break and consider my options. ROI is already open and I could seek something other than this place. I dont rule out UK -there are things in favor as there are handfuls of uncovered posts there, but I'm reluctant about the burocracy, which is only bound to get worse in the coming months-  and I have an offer in Sweeden (but it would mean working part time while getting a Swedish intensive course. Which I'm not really sure I want to do).
And I could go back home. I'm first on the list so odds are I could get something within weeks, and TBH once you adjust for the cost of living I'd not be saving any less money than I am on the ROI or I would in the UK (I wasnt doing this for the money anyhow). The main problem is that you're at the whims of the regional healthcare system, really
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: April 29, 2019, 01:34:52 pm »

I'm staring at the screen, wondering what to write. Despite having been here for so long, and rattled on about so much, I still struggle with being candid.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:37:19 pm by JoshuaFH »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: April 29, 2019, 02:32:56 pm »

I just learned about "Stop a Douchebag." It's a Russian activist(???) movement that aggressively blocks people from driving on sidewalks, and if the driver won't move or wants a fight, they put a giant sticker on their windshield. It's fun to watch in the sense that it's always fun to watch a wrongdoer get theirs, but god damn. These people get almost hit/fights started/guns pulled on them more times than an episode of COPS, before they even take out the sticker. They're stone cold, but you shouldn't have to be for something as mundane as "This is sidewalk, that is road, have a nice day."
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: April 29, 2019, 02:40:55 pm »

In Russia sidewalk driver you on the road walk i don't know there's a Russian meme joke in there somewhere I'm tired and my back hurts.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: April 30, 2019, 08:00:40 am »

I'm staring at the screen, wondering what to write. Despite having been here for so long, and rattled on about so much, I still struggle with being candid.

Yeah, it's not a safe world, and people who are worth being around (ie aren't just loudmouth jackasses) are usually not sure it's safe to talk about what they actually care about before getting to know people. Only advice I have is be okay with who you are, relax, and give people time.
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: April 30, 2019, 06:04:23 pm »

I wrote one recently, it looked like this:

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: April 30, 2019, 06:50:26 pm »

I wrote one recently, it looked like this:

I sent it before this, but it was curiously similar.

Bleh. Unpleasant situation all around

(TL,DR: I went to a new workplace, was misled as to what impact would this make on my odds of getting a permanent post. Did not get it but was expected to cover temporary post until it suited my employers. Decided to call it quits)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:14:24 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: May 01, 2019, 01:51:19 am »

Yeah, it's not a safe world, and people who are worth being around (ie aren't just loudmouth jackasses) are usually not sure it's safe to talk about what they actually care about before getting to know people. Only advice I have is be okay with who you are, relax, and give people time.

I see things in two ways:

* 90% of people are doing their best 90% of the time. That includes you. You're doing your best and that's good. Everyone else is doing their best to get over their struggles and do their best too. Some people want to talk about it, some people don't. Everyone's got happy memories and aspirations and those are good things to talk about. Everyone's got menial tasks or problems and those are good things to commiserate about. They're just people. You're just people. We're just people too.

* You can grow a garden anywhere. Friendships, relationships, business, romance. It takes work, and it takes tending. It won't happen on its own. Everyone's looking for a little connection, and that's your garden plot. Most people willingly offer a little compassion, or at the worst, the benefit of the doubt, and then it starts.

Sometimes your budding connection doesn't take root, and that's fine. 'Can' does not necessarily mean 'will,' but you dust yourself off, determine that you're okay, also that you're okay with yourself, and you start again. Flowery language aside, everyone wants the same things out of other people that you do, and you're just as capable of giving that to them as they are you. You are an inherently valuable human being.

'Sides all that, you've got us, and we value you as you are. I know times are tough now, and I'm sorry about that.

======

My own minor sad is as follows:

I'm coming upon a crossroads in the next month or two here- when my contract lapses again in late June, I have to determine if I want to go forward with staying in New Zealand, as work is willing to take the steps to sponsor my visa, though that process usually takes several months. I am, however, far, far from home, and remarkably homesick (it comes it waves). My sister is with child and my parents aren't getting younger, and it would be nice to be involved again with my family. New Zealand is my doorway out of America (not many options for working holidays now, not skilled enough to work international), I like my work, I could have a career in the video game field, something I'd never fathomed being available to me. The wage is enough, but not stellar, and frankly, Auckland blows. I could be happy with my work, but could I be happy here?

If I go home, I could rest my travel-weary soul and start over again. If I stay here, I could live for tomorrow.

It's tough, eh. I'm a little weak-willed and poorly self-motivated, though, so I'd probably end up playing video games too long and pace too much, clutching my head, asking myself what I'm doing with my life or where my direction is. It's certainly happened before, heh.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:54:51 am by Naxza »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: May 01, 2019, 02:14:08 am »

I'm guessing the girl isn't making your choice any easier?

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: May 01, 2019, 02:52:00 am »

She's a lovely gal, but I can't direct my future around her, and I won't direct hers around mine. Once she gets a few years' experience and pays off her loans, she'll probably look to join the international scene and leave NZ (she's wrapping up her electrical engineering degree this year), which runs perpendicular to my possible future here. I'm counting on happy times now and a happy farewell somewhere along the line. With as finicky as I've been about the stay/go thing, I wouldn't let myself nurture too many delicate emotions, and in the aftermath of my previous heartbreak, I don't know that I'm ready to anyways.

That's a matter I've written a bit about in the past, but hearts mend slowly and have a way of haunting us in hours of weakness or depth of night. They say the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else, but that doesn't work so well when you've idealized a mountain of someone, had it all topple around you, and then you have to turn them away because you can't give them the future they need or deserve. It's a mountain I still have to work to stop rebuilding even as I stand in the wreckage of it.

I'm hoping the kiwi gal knows as much and feels similarly about our divergent futures, but getting her to describe her emotions or tell me what she wants, likes, or dislikes, is a bit like pulling teeth. She's an engineer through and through, hahah.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 422