Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819433 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6405 on: October 25, 2019, 07:42:09 pm »

Dammit, why do I not know how to have a five minute minor conversation
I have this problem too. I have better luck joining existing conversations than starting new ones. Make sure you say something that is on topic with the conversation. The converters will let you know if they want you to join by either ignoring what you said, asking you to leave, responding to what you said, or asking your name. The first two were for if they don’t want you to join, the last two were for if they accept your join attempt. Did this help?

Thank you for the info!

What about joining existing conversations where everyone involved is acquainted with me - since, naturally, they won't be asking my name?
Ah, if they wish for you to join, they will likely respond to what you said. I learned how to converse by listening to others converse, though you have to be careful about which conversations you attempt to join, responding to some conversations where the participants don’t want new converters is called eavesdropping, which I learned in middle school on a bus. Apparently I’ve been “eavesdropping” for a while. I thought it was normal to listen to conversations, the 4 in the previous post were merely examples, there are more ways they can let you know, subtle ways like the tone that they respond to you with, or something. If you are unsure whether they gave a signal for you to join, you could do another response, and if they want you to leave they will give a less subtle signal. Signals that indicate that you can join could include literally expanding the circle, as people tend to conversate in a way that allows everyone to see each other, which usually results in a circle of people sitting/standing facing each other while talking. If they want you to join, some can move farther apart so that you can integrate yourself in the circle and continue responding. It is good to listen to get an idea of what the conversation is about. Topics can change wildly within the same conversation, so you must always be listening and responding accordingly. If any of this confusing let me know which parts are confusing so I can explain it better. Sometimes I am bad at explaining things so it helps to know what parts are confusing so I can explain those parts better.
I feel like this is exactly how one should explain this topic to an alien species that do not converse like humans tbh... which is probably a good thing

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: October 25, 2019, 08:14:45 pm »

I tend to not use visual cues since I have a visual impairment, hence why the advice I gave doesn’t focus on visual cues as much as audio. I am glad this helped.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: October 26, 2019, 05:33:01 am »

If you attempt to join a conversation and the other parties seem hesitant to include you, that is a good time to clink your drink against everyone's to win them over, I've found.

Also, starting conversations is easy: just ask them what band they're there to see, if they're in one of the bands, or what they're drinking and how much it costs!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: October 26, 2019, 09:58:25 am »

I tend to not use visual cues since I have a visual impairment, hence why the advice I gave doesn’t focus on visual cues as much as audio. I am glad this helped.

I see poorly enough without glasses to not clearly recognize faces more than 30 or so feet out.  10 meters for the euronerds.
.Sobin high school i refused to wear glasses because they're uncomfortable and for nerds, and my eyes were too beautiful to use contacts.  I relied upon visual cues like clothing, posture, etc to tell people apart.  I've got a bit of a nack for visual communication now as a result.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: October 26, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »

Ah, you know how people tend to say eye contact is important? Well really it’s face contest. I have trouble seeing the eyes unless I get close to people, so I look in their direction. It’s looking in their direction and focusing on the face that is important. Not necessarily the eyes. The glasses I had didn’t really help with vision, they were more for protection. I eventually stopped wearing them since they just get dirty plus it feels good not having glasses. I focus on posture as well. I took an Intro to Psychology class in high school where I learned that facial expressions can be misleading, specifically smiles. Smiles can mean lots of different things. Also the tone of voice can be harder to mask than facial expressions. I find tone to be a more reliable indicator of emotion than the face. I know from experience that it takes more effort to change voice tone than it does to alter the face, which is another reason why I use audio rather than facial, other than it’s easier for me to hear than it is to see. Speaking of not seeing faces as well,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: October 26, 2019, 12:35:57 pm »

None of them looks particularly British ;)

Do having problems reading faces transfer to problems reading smileys and emoticons and such? Or are they too exaggerated to be an issue?  :) :) :) :-X :-X :-X 8) 8) 8)
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: October 26, 2019, 12:37:18 pm »

clearly.  Roboto-san is totally the right-most, in-focus subject of that picture. It's a gynoid, with a symmetric bob auburn hairstyle.  Nasty plastic skin. bleh.

Part of the problem with these humanoid robots is that the designers do not include normal human imperfections.  real humans are not perfectly symmetrical around the lateral axis, for instance. There are subtle differences, and if you MAKE a person symmetrical (such as via a mirror, or using photoshop) the resulting image triggers uncanny valley. These robots NEED skin blemishes. They NEED odd little bits of pink vein to show. They NEED irregularities in skin texture, and with bits of peachfuzz on the cheeks, etc.  Without them, the robots look very strange.  Don't get me started about the facial movements either. We are a long way away from being able to properly articulate a face's movement, even with things like air-muscles, or memory metal actuators. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: October 26, 2019, 12:53:06 pm »

None of those triggers uncanny valley in me. The only one that stands out is the right side of woman number one but still not in the  uncanny valley sense, just as unsightly to look at.
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: October 26, 2019, 01:05:17 pm »

There is no uncanny valley, to me they all look human

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6414 on: October 26, 2019, 01:55:21 pm »

There are subtle differences, and if you MAKE a person symmetrical (such as via a mirror, or using photoshop) the resulting image triggers uncanny valley.

To be fair they intentionally chose some of the most jarring ones to lead with. Many of the rest look a little odd, but comfortably within the realm of humanity and out of the uncanny valley. What's also interesting is that at a glance, the people who seem to have suffered the least from being mirrored... are the conventionally attractive ones. Crazy how that happens.

There are a lot of factors at play, not all of them necessarily imperfections. They'd get a lot of improvement if they used a material the light interacts with more like skin - translucence, transition between specular/diffuse reflections, and so on.

It's also not helping them that her posture is off and her hands are clearly plastic.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: October 26, 2019, 02:35:29 pm »

Also take notice that those photos are not one unmirrored and one mirrored photo, they're both different sides mirrored.
Love, scriver~

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: October 26, 2019, 02:53:54 pm »

My wife's aunt (I guess my aunt in law) is a pig. Not like "leaves the laundry out" or "doesn't do the dishes." She'll cook an entire dinner and leave everything, including raw meat and prepared food, out of the fridge for a day or more at a time. Wherever dishes fall, that's where they lay until we come back over next week and find them.

I cannot wait until we have our own place together. I am so sick of not working.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: October 26, 2019, 02:54:42 pm »

correct. 

Personally, I found them all to be in the uncanny valley, because they register as artificial to me. (Then again, I apparently spend entirely too much time subconsciously examining people's face and bone structure. Probably because I used to sculpt as a hobby.) Real humans have all kinds of quirks about their structure that is intricate and unique.

Agreed about better material choice though.  Simulating good skin that is both appropriate photo-refractively, AND has sufficient and appropriate stretch (Madam Tussaud's wax museum gets the refractivity down really good these days, but does not come close to the elasticity requirement, etc.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: October 26, 2019, 03:00:50 pm »

The link just shows a white screen for me

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: October 26, 2019, 03:01:36 pm »

Probably a hotlinking protection.

Source article about Mdme Tussauds
https://evanevanstours.com/blog/the-strange-history-of-madame-tussauds/

Image is of two overly-excited tourists posing with a wax replica of everyone's favorite american president. (My fingers feel dirty typing that.)
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 771