Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819970 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6420 on: October 26, 2019, 03:55:21 pm »

Thanks for the picture, it doesn’t look like wax to me, had you not said it was in a wax museum, I wouldn’t have known it to be wax

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: October 26, 2019, 04:14:27 pm »

That particular museum has built a name and reputation around the photo-realism of their replicas.

The wax is translucent, and when mixed with the correct opaque pigments, it can give a surprisingly lifelike skin appearance. Another that can give a surprisingly lifelike skin is vinyl, amusingly.

There are a few artists that use that medium, Duane Hanson is one.
https://whitney.org/collection/works/2160

I am not certain, but I think Ron Mueck's work is also in vinyl.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: October 26, 2019, 04:34:59 pm »

If vinyl and wax work well as skin lookalikes, why aren’t they used on the robots?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: October 26, 2019, 04:37:52 pm »

Vinyl bends, rather than stretches, at the thicknesses needed to make the refractive properties right.

Wax is brittle. It does not flex. It will crack and break.

Edit--

My bad, Ron uses SILICONE, not vinyl.  So that's another material. Silicone might work with the right additives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYX_jV-lAfk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:43:27 pm by wierd »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6424 on: October 27, 2019, 06:06:45 am »

Personally, I found them all to be in the uncanny valley, because they register as artificial to me. (Then again, I apparently spend entirely too much time subconsciously examining people's face and bone structure. Probably because I used to sculpt as a hobby.) Real humans have all kinds of quirks about their structure that is intricate and unique.

"Can be discerned as edited" is not the same thing as "uncanny". I can also tell they're all edited, it's a question of whether it instantly rings an internal alarm as somehow wrong or not.

It'd be neat to see something done with maybe a sort of gel under a silicone layer, with a simulated waxy cuticle over the top to try and hit the right reflections. May well have been done, I haven't bothered to check.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: October 27, 2019, 07:32:17 am »

My day at work today is going to fucking suck :D

We got here, we open the front door, and are greeted with the smell of mildew and rotten eggs. Turns out they cleaned the carpets last night unannounced (even the GM of the place wasn't told they were coming) and did such a great job that it smells like mild sewage. Carpets are wet, chairs are wet, and it's all juuuuuust not bad enough that I can't justify sending people home. It's just bad enough to be noticeable.

Also it's humid in here like someone is trying to grow something tropical.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: October 27, 2019, 12:29:21 pm »

Came across this today and thought of this thread:

edit: omagaw that picture ended up a bit wider than I thought it was
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 12:45:00 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: October 27, 2019, 12:38:20 pm »

Interesting, both look like humans though, which one is the wax one?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: October 27, 2019, 12:59:53 pm »

Well, from the fact that there's a hand actively sculpting the left one, I'ma say that's the fake. Don't worry, I had to stare at it for a second too; Mark is just so mortified in the right picture that his humanity is drained out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: October 27, 2019, 02:03:16 pm »

Trying to get into urgent care but I lost my proof of insurance, now I have to harass my boss on a Sunday bc the insurance agency doesn't have customer service on the weekends. And I can't stop coughing up green and brown shit from my lungs
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6430 on: October 27, 2019, 02:19:13 pm »

Without the cue of the brush I'd probably struggle if I didn't know what Zuckerberg looked like in the past, and looks like now.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: October 28, 2019, 05:05:13 am »

Trying to get into urgent care but I lost my proof of insurance, now I have to harass my boss on a Sunday bc the insurance agency doesn't have customer service on the weekends. And I can't stop coughing up green and brown shit from my lungs

Man that's insane. I feel for you. Here it would be "treatment now, proof later". And the treatment would be free. I can't really fathom the idea of a place where basic treatment isn't a universal right.

EDIT: In Michael Moore's documentary 'Sicko' he has an example from the UK. In NHS hospitals they have a 'cashier's window'. But ... you don't pay there. You show receipts from public transport and they pay you back for having to travel to the hospital and back. Which is all about fairness: the principle is that you shouldn't have to pay more for the service because they didn't build the hospital close to where you live.

Honestly, the entire basic of the American medical system scares the crap out of me. Not least because our right-wing politicians look on your healthcare "model" (loosely speaking) with glee and want to implement that here. The only saving grace is that the US model is such an obvious train-wreck of a system that they can't get any political traction to push it through.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:14:05 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: October 28, 2019, 08:46:12 am »

The one on the right appears to be made of yellowish wax. Someone is painting the one on the left, so I assume that's the one that is actually wax.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: October 28, 2019, 08:51:27 am »

We have a samespirited practice here were you can show your healthcare summons paper and receive free bus rides. Or at least we do here in my landsthing. It's probably fairly common though, my landsthing is fairly centrist.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: October 28, 2019, 09:15:13 am »

I pay hundreds of dollars a month for the right to pay $13k toward healthcare I really don't want to use, mostly because I'd prefer to have money to live than get healthcare to hurt less.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 771