Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819858 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #6990 on: February 21, 2020, 09:46:54 am »

I hate it when a webcomic doesn't have table of contents, and the url for a specific comic isn't just a number, so you can't easily find your place at all if you didn't save it.

*grumbles in El Goonish Shive and Schlock Mercenary*

Also I still don't have an explanation from the guy who thinks EGS is some fount of perversion

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: February 21, 2020, 10:10:50 am »

I have that issue with Oglaf... Not only is there no number in either the URL or the strip's name, but even if you do remember the name for a particular strip; you can't search the archive for it because the titles are part of an image, not text elements.

You just have to scroll through the entire catalog on one screen, with only thumbnails and vaguely related title names to guide you...

Also I only just recently found out that not only do they have a hover-text for the strips, there's also an alt-text that can be found by using inspect element (or trying to parse the image with a screenreader, presumably)... And it's inconsistent. Some strips have both, some have one or the other, and some don't have anything.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: February 21, 2020, 10:25:56 am »

there's also an alt-text that can be found by using inspect element (or trying to parse the image with a screenreader, presumably)... And it's inconsistent. Some strips have both, some have one or the other, and some don't have anything.

You can also see it if your internet connection sucks, and it takes a minute for the image to load. Those ones usually aren't that great, so I don't put in the effort.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: February 21, 2020, 05:28:15 pm »

Well, at least Oglaf isn't a sequential narrative, right?

In any case, that's whatcha get for bein' a perv.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: February 21, 2020, 05:59:01 pm »

The thing that bothers me about Oglaf is that strips will occasionally be organized into sub-series. The "previous" button will skip to the next previous series, but the "next" button will advance strip-by-strip. It makes it a pain to go back and forth if you're reading a single series and missed something.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: February 21, 2020, 07:29:04 pm »

The thing that bothers me about Oglaf is that strips will occasionally be organized into sub-series. The "previous" button will skip to the next previous series, but the "next" button will advance strip-by-strip. It makes it a pain to go back and forth if you're reading a single series and missed something.

I went and read some Oglaf last night and noticed this. I had never noticed it before and that probably means I've missed a ton of comics. But because of the inconvenience, I've resigned ro that fact.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: February 22, 2020, 12:59:13 am »

I hate it when a webcomic doesn't have table of contents, and the url for a specific comic isn't just a number, so you can't easily find your place at all if you didn't save it.

That's why I started using a comic tracking site, i just have to open that page and see if any of the comics have an update since i last read them

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: February 22, 2020, 01:01:30 am »

I am tired. Been on a plane for 8 hours.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: February 22, 2020, 02:05:42 am »

My last hearing aid battery has gone flat and I've run outta ventolin. What fun!   
I only have to wait 'til Monday for this little town's pharmacy to be open... ::)

That's why I started using a comic tracking site, i just have to open that page and see if any of the comics have an update since i last read them
That seems like the sort of handy thing that it might be nice to link for the others involved in this discussion, y'know.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: February 22, 2020, 04:19:12 pm »

Social Security sent me an email warning about scam calls. Haha, nice one; I don't have to worry because I know the real SSA would never call me, or email me, or send me a letter, or do anything at all despite multiple phone calls to remind them that yes, I'm still here and still unable to work under doctor's orders.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: February 22, 2020, 08:21:43 pm »

Do you mean an RSS reader?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: February 23, 2020, 04:14:09 am »

No, the one I use isn't an RSS reader. I did use RSS for comics for a bit, but it was shit to do it that way. There are a better comic-specific services. The problem with RSS is that it just sends you a link whenever a new comic comes out so you're left managing a ton of RSS posts if you read a few comics. It's also no use for tagging an old comic you'd like to read. What's the point of getting RSS notifications of new comics if I'm 1500 pages behind? So RSS isn't an integrated solution for managing all your webcomic reading. Also, that approach pretty much means you're juggling bookmarks, and that's not a very reliable way to keep track of anything, and is also specific to your specific browser install, so it's not a portable solution.

RSS sends you a new individual post every time a new comic comes out so you have to go and manually remove the posts if X number of comics comes out and you don't have time to read them. So for SMBC which updates like 5 times a week, if I didn't have time to read it for a couple of weeks now i have to wade through 10 posts in my RSS feed. That's more work. The point is to make it less work. I use comic-rocket.com, it's the best one I found so far. You just tag the comics you want to read and it auto-tracks what page you're up to, and also auto-sorts the list so the ones with new comics but that you're *closest* to catching up with are at the top. And importantly, it doesn't spam posts at you every time a new comic come out like having an RSS would. RSS is like being on a treadmill trying to keep up, whereas with what I have set up now I just jump on the one site when I have time, see which comics have new releases and decide which ones I *want* to catch up with.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:28:21 am by Reelya »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: February 23, 2020, 05:11:30 am »

Brother didn't want me joining their D&D game. They all said it was too big a group. Just sucks being left out again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: February 23, 2020, 12:34:19 pm »

Start your own D&D group. With blackjack. And hookers.

and me
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: February 23, 2020, 05:13:40 pm »

I finished writing an update for the Forum Game, I pressed preview to save it, and the internet died. Half an hour’s writing gone. This is the second time I’ve tried to write this update and it’s been fucked by the internet.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 771