Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 775

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 843252 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8100 on: August 31, 2020, 09:44:53 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:14:27 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: August 31, 2020, 09:59:41 am »

Thank you JoshuaFH and wierd

The true skeptics. Nothing will ever convince me that school isn't giant swaths of time wasted to bully people into "neurotypicality". Like seriously you can do the curriculum in half that time or less.
Youtube is a fantastic source of information if you search for information, I agree that the education system needs improvements, like not assuming that students of the same age are of the same knowledge level

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: August 31, 2020, 10:07:41 am »

Consume with caution; Youtube is also a source of flagrant misinformation, and outright fabrication.

Depending on context, the latter can also be useful information in and of itself (if you are studying misinformation, and recurring themes in outright fabrications), but all subject matter consumed from that platform should be thoroughly screened and sanitized.

See for example, the stuff in this channel.  This is not to suggest that this person is attempting to actively mislead; Quite the contrary. The individual appears genuine-- however, that reality does not in any capacity make the subject matter factually accurate. It does however, represent an entire genre of thinking, and is thus a valuable asset under certain circumstances, such as when investigating the thought processes behind such confabulations, because that inquiry can be helpful when evaluating other forms of structured and well-replicated confabulations of belief.

If one has no prior knowledge, exposure to this material could be very damaging. Youtube should thus only be consumed by those who have first been introduced to quality critical thinking as a system of rational thought, and who have a well grounded educational background with which to parse the subject matter.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:14:14 am by wierd »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: August 31, 2020, 10:16:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:14:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: August 31, 2020, 10:31:09 pm »

Been in quarantine too long too? Shit didn't get easier eh. Gain control of your breath at that point it's the only sensible choice within reach, just remember most people don't care.

Thanks for the advice.

Unrelated to quarantine, though. Nearby social change, and fearing the possible reveal of my deconversion (AFAIK out of all the people I know, there is literally one who is not a devout Christian) are the causes. Or both at once, which is fun.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: September 01, 2020, 05:50:57 am »

Nvidia's doing a "special event" (almost certainly a launch event for the RTX 3090 and 3080), and it's happening in a couple of hours from now. The thing that's making me somewhat upset is that it's starting at midnight for me. I know most of their market is in US and Europe, so I get their timing, but it's crappy timing for me, so goddamnit, I will get upset.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: September 01, 2020, 06:40:51 am »

Drink some coffee, it’ll keep you awake to see the event

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: September 01, 2020, 09:00:24 am »

To your question from before: this, for example
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: September 01, 2020, 09:43:25 am »

the most recent question I asked appears to be about Sanders, what does Sanders have to do with coffee?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: September 01, 2020, 10:18:18 am »

the most recent question I asked appears to be about Sanders, what does Sanders have to do with coffee?

I believe it was the last question you asked Poo. About how they knew you were autistic based on the way you talk.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: September 01, 2020, 10:19:18 am »

Ok, thanks for clarifying

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: September 01, 2020, 10:51:14 am »

I would, but it turns out that coffee (and probably all stimulants that act on dopamine) is about as dangerous for me as holding a lava bucket in your hand in Minecraft. There's a possible benefit to it, but considering what's at stake if something does go wrong, it's generally inadvisable. There are times where it's needed, sure, but at that point, I'd take extreme caution.

Edit: The countdown timer drifts by a lot. The hell is it doing, using BCLK as reference, expecting it to run at 100 MHz, but instead it runs at 99.8 MHz?

Edit 2: Watched the whole thing. Holy shit. I'll wait for the benchmarks to come flooding in once the new cards are available/the review embargo gets lifted to get truly impressed, but that... that was art. In-fucking-credible.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:45:32 am by methylatedspirit »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: September 01, 2020, 11:57:24 am »

The bigger picture is that drinking coffee to stay up to see something that's outside your normal waking hours is a very bad idea, given that you'll then have your sleep cycle completely thrown out of whack.

if you need to stay up a bit late, the main trick for me is to avoid any temptation to lie down, because lying down will probably tell your body it's sleep time. Put a video or some music on to keep awake, and merely eat something (tiredness can be low blood sugar) but don't overeat (digestion needs energy). Avoid coffee for this purpose.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: September 01, 2020, 12:05:10 pm »

Thanks for mentioning the idea about the coffee was bad. A way I stay up is to constantly be thinking about things, a more physical thing you can do is to keep using phone/computer, however that also can mess with circadian rhythm

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: September 01, 2020, 12:26:09 pm »

The idea itself isn't necessarily bad, however, and this is more general observations for discussions sake, sometimes we can have a "correct solution to the wrong problem" and this is in fact extremely common.

breaking down the situation of something being live on TV at midnight, the problem is "i want to stay up to see X but that's when I'm supposed to be in bed", and the proposed solution was "drink coffee then you won't need to go to bed". Which when put like that it's clearer to see why it's solving the wrong problem. The coffee does in fact solve the problem of staying up to see the thing, but it makes the underlying problem of "that's when I'm supposed to be in bed" worse, not better.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 775