Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859763 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8760 on: March 30, 2021, 06:50:05 pm »

I rescind my previous 'smart' comment.

;D
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: March 30, 2021, 06:55:16 pm »

Oh come on, I can't just not weigh in. Not after I brought it up.

Besides, how would scooby-doo hold a lightsaber? These are the important intellectual questions of our time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: March 30, 2021, 07:18:34 pm »

Like, it's pure pazaak, man!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: March 31, 2021, 01:10:52 am »

Oh come on, I can't just not weigh in. Not after I brought it up.

Besides, how would scooby-doo hold a lightsaber? These are the important intellectual questions of our time.
Just levitation, probably, or just not be a stabby space wizard. There's armless jedi, iirc.

Alternatively, he lost an arm at some point and has a cybernetic or two with opposable thumbs. Sorta' like a furry general grievous with an eating condition, accompanied by his stormtrooper clone deserter buddy with a drug habit. It'd fit right in with the books, I think.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: March 31, 2021, 04:01:28 am »

Giving Scooby a lightsaber and force powers sounds like a terrible idea, first time something bad goes on he's gonna swig that thing around and everybody's gonna be dead.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: March 31, 2021, 04:42:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I feel like people are forgetting how unimaginably powerful Shaggy is. But it's true, Shaggy most likely wouldn't be Force-sensitive... The Force would be Shaggy-sensitive.

change
Yeah, I get that... If it's any consolation, it's not an uncommon feeling. We get a particular world picture in our heads, and we feel distressed when that picture ends up not being the case. Either due to circumstances changing, or from a realization that it was never really "the truth" to begin with.

But adapting to those changes, and accepting new states is a very useful thing to learn. Eventually, you will get comfortable with just the colors of the picture, regardless of what configuration they may be in or how long they keep that shape. We can learn to be comfortable with the concept of change. There are good things to be found in nearly every pattern.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: March 31, 2021, 03:19:37 pm »

I can't sleep because the fan in my room decided to stop working, so I've decided to use this thermally-induced insomnia to get a newer version of GCC to work on Dev C++. My attempts to get MinGW 8.00 + GCC 10.2 to work with Dev C++, as shown by an excerpt of a mangled "Hello World" program:
Code: [Select]
Mingw-w64 runtime failure:
     Address %p has no image-section   VirtualQuery failed for %d bytes at address %p          VirtualProtect failed with code 0x%x    Unknown pseudo relocation protocol version %d.
         Unknown pseudo relocation bit size %d.

I suppose I at least got GCC 8.xx to work, which was first released in 2018, but somehow it doesn't recognize Skylake as a possible CPU arch?

But then I removed it, and now it's also broken after re-adding, so...? Compilers are magic to me. Maybe I pissed it off, and now it decides to stop working. Dev C++ did have a bit of a stroke after adding a new compiler from a folder by trying to call g++.exe from the directory my source code was in rather than the place where I pointed it to, so maybe that's the issue? Ugh.

Maybe I should be using Code::Blocks for my experiments (Dev C++ is what my lecturer recommends for an IDE), rather than trying to drag Dev C++ kicking and screaming into the present by forcing new versions of GCC onto it. I just wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: March 31, 2021, 03:40:09 pm »

This is why I just work in C, not C++.... I don't even know what those errors mean.

I use MinGW-W64 with GCC uhhh.... 8.1.0 and I don't know what that error would mean.  I haven't tried to use DevC++ in ages.  I tried Code::blocks once, and was not a fan...

I also just build straight console apps, not reliant on say Cygwin or anything.

I use only Notepad++ and VS Code for editing. Sometimes Visual Studio proper depending on what I'm doing.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: April 01, 2021, 07:38:45 pm »

I mean I don't know what those errors mean either. But I don't think they are C++ compiler errors. I think something is borked in your installation that is causing the compiler to crash.

Or just to clarify, do you get that output when compiling or when running your program? You could also try using cygwin and its gcc.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: April 01, 2021, 07:55:46 pm »

Or just to clarify, do you get that output when compiling or when running your program? You could also try using cygwin and its gcc.

That's not the output, that's what I got when I opened the compiled file in Notepad++. I tried running it, and it said "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)". When I told it to just output assembly, it looks "fine" (keeping in mind that I don't know assembly, let alone x86_64).

The garbage GCC's (it's actually C++, so technically G++) generated looks like it's just dumping everything it knows into the compiled files. Look at this:
Code: [Select]
? processor_type PROCESSOR_GENERIC  PROCESSOR_I386 PROCESSOR_I486 PROCESSOR_PENTIUM PROCESSOR_LAKEMONT PROCESSOR_PENTIUMPRO PROCESSOR_PENTIUM4 PROCESSOR_NOCONA PROCESSOR_CORE2 PROCESSOR_NEHALEM PROCESSOR_SANDYBRIDGE
PROCESSOR_HASWELL PROCESSOR_BONNELL PROCESSOR_SILVERMONT
PROCESSOR_KNL PROCESSOR_KNM PROCESSOR_SKYLAKE PROCESSOR_SKYLAKE_AVX512 PROCESSOR_CANNONLAKE PROCESSOR_ICELAKE_CLIENT PROCESSOR_ICELAKE_SERVER PROCESSOR_INTEL PROCESSOR_GEODE PROCESSOR_K6 PROCESSOR_ATHLON PROCESSOR_K8 PROCESSOR_AMDFAM10 PROCESSOR_BDVER1 PROCESSOR_BDVER2 PROCESSOR_BDVER3 PROCESSOR_BDVER4 PROCESSOR_BTVER1 PROCESSOR_BTVER2  PROCESSOR_ZNVER1 !PROCESSOR_max 

That's just a list of CPU architectures, presumably related to -march or -mtune. In the binary of a Hello World program. I don't think that's a good sign when GCC's just regurgitating all its debug information into a file that's not meant to have any.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:59:48 pm by methylatedspirit »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: April 01, 2021, 09:19:26 pm »

I visited my Mom today, and she showed me a youtube video of my cousin who had killed two people, a fairly old video but one I had never seen before. It was one of those videos that are well-edited and narrated, and it had millions of views, with comments that had thousands of likes. I was just sickened all over again at the terrible reality I live in, and the sense of guilt by association I'm forced to endure.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: April 01, 2021, 09:34:27 pm »

That is brutal man, sorry. You gotta remember though that people make their own choices and you cannot and should try to own it for them, cliche as that sounds.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: April 02, 2021, 02:47:05 am »

No one I know did an April Fools joke this year...
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: April 02, 2021, 02:51:54 am »

maybe the real joke was the friends we made along the way
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: April 02, 2021, 03:15:46 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:15:57 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 779