Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819756 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9270 on: September 24, 2021, 04:07:00 pm »

Meetup.com requires me to post a pic of my ugly mug before it'll actually let me participate in whatever is on there.  I don't have any pics of myself, and I don't feel like bothering just to attend one thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9271 on: September 26, 2021, 07:23:23 am »

I travelled through a suburb of single-family houses to get to a suburb of apartment complexes further out today. Luckily this isn’t my commute, but increasing that for tens of thousands (and even more as the city grows) for the sake just a couple of thousands is still horrible city-planning. And sure, there are some valid arguments that cities shouldn’t get too dense, but then put a park people can actually use there instead, instead of a relative desert of houses with green bits only available to their owners.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: September 28, 2021, 11:13:39 am »

The other day a friend suggested the First Law books from Abercombe, taking up his suggestion I went and found a boxed set on bookdepository, wasn't too expensive so I went heck it, I'm getting near the end of the Black Company books so I might as well started one something new. Ordered the set on thursday, today I get an e-mail from them informing me they're having a big week long sale on a bunch of things. Wanna guess which set of books is at about 50% off compared to what I paid for? With discounts on other stuff as well I could've bought another 3 books for the same money :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: September 28, 2021, 01:02:54 pm »

Sounds just like Steam
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: September 28, 2021, 04:59:59 pm »

Cancel your order and reorder it on sale
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: September 28, 2021, 05:18:50 pm »

Its that time again.

Time for the braincell killing, several-hours-long slog through the mandatory online training.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: September 29, 2021, 11:52:41 am »

Cancel your order and reorder it on sale

I considered it but the damn things shipped already, making the whole thing a hassle not worth going trough as I'd had to ship the stuff back out of my own pocket.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: September 30, 2021, 10:29:11 am »

I'm just feeling really depressed today.

Like, I want to know how people... are motivated? About anything? Like I'm telling my friend that I don't know what to do with myself, and he recommends "Maybe going back to school?" but I don't have the heart to tell him "Who fucking cares? Why should I care about anything like that? Putting myself out there for any reason is just morally heinous. Doing so is me exposing myself to the innate evil of society; and exposing society to the poison that is my own existence. I'm so negative that adding myself to anything is not an addition but a subtraction."

Though I know I'm being melodramatic and shitheaded. Living just feels so futile, cause it just feels like I'll never care about anything to actually be motivated to do anything, and therefore nothing will validate my existence, and therefore there was no point to ever being born.

Most every day I feel I'm just waiting to get old and die.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: October 01, 2021, 09:16:49 am »

mood
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: October 01, 2021, 10:58:14 am »

Also been in a mood for weeks now.

After getting royally pissed off at my shitbag friend for what he's done and said around work, and him getting fired, I was drained. But now I feel empty and unmotivated. Been having problems sleeping, my appetite has been out of whack. Work has been super busy and that has taken a toll, and hanging out with my friend group has been hard to do, both because of his presence and for how I feel about the whole thing. I've been steadily withdrawing from my friends circle because when I'm not happy or feeling right, I honestly don't want to be around other people. But it's been going on long enough now people are starting to notice and ask questions, which makes me want to retreat even more. Started working out again but it's pretty sporadic, the recovery is slow and I seem to find a dozen emotional/energy excuses not to fully commit to it.

I dunno. Long covid? Changing seasons? The fact I'll be 40 this year? There's a lot of things going on that are dragging me down and I keep hoping that next week I'm going to shake off whatever has been dogging me emotionally.

Like, I want to know how people... are motivated? About anything?

About the only thing that motivates me right now is my own personal fun. My escapes are still something I look forward to most days, unless I've done something like called in sick for work which makes me feel guilty.

Bottomline, to me though, survival is its own reason. I'm not the "lay down and die" type of person. Survival and a reasonable amount of comfort, and maintaining those things, are usually enough to get me out of bed everyday and do well at work.

I guess JoshuaFH, you need to spend some time thinking about what you actually want and what you're willing to do for it. For me, I still want to achieve my "ideal body" so the gym and eating right and maintaining a good diet are still important to me. It's just rebuilding the momentum on the gym side that has been tougher than I anticipated it would be.

But the idea that someone should just "care" about stuff they don't honestly want has always been foreign to me. Go back to school? Why the hell would I do that? To get a better job? Do I honestly want a better job? Not if it means putting myself back through more education.

When you find something you legitimately want, "putting yourself out there" just happens. Just like a job, or dating or any of that stuff. The equation never makes sense if the legitimate desire isn't there on one of side of it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:24:56 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: October 01, 2021, 11:29:04 am »

When you find something you legitimately want, "putting yourself out there" just happens. Just like a job, or dating or any of that stuff. The equation never makes sense if the legitimate desire isn't there on one of side of it.

That's basically it, I call them my obsessions,but they are nothing special, a bit particular at best. I can fall into deep holes when I'm done with one obsession and don't have another in sight... I need things to look or work towards to, to have a sense of purpose, even if it's just a new game or a classic I longed to replay that gets me hyped to get infront of the pc. Thing is from time to time vydia don't cut it and I need to do stuff with my hands and not my mind. I consider myself in dire lack of motivation generally, but these things can make whole weeks fly by.

TBH I also think it's toxic to aspire towards motivation... IDK maybe healthier people have wells of unspecified motivation to use on anything... Evenso I doubt they think of it as such, maybe it's about gritting one's teeth to everybody. To me it's more like: "this particular activity I don't mind for now, dunno about tomorrow though"

Also make sure you're not burned out, when that's the case I couldn't even care for things that should passionate me on a better day. If you are burned out: it is ok to just be, don't torture yourself with any preconceptions about what should be done; if you can enjoy baking in the sun that's enough too. It's a big issue of mine,. I can fell pretty worthless withouth any kind of personal achievement to show for the last 24h.
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: October 01, 2021, 01:51:20 pm »

About the only thing that motivates me right now is my own personal fun. My escapes are still something I look forward to most days, unless I've done something like called in sick for work which makes me feel guilty.

Bottomline, to me though, survival is its own reason. I'm not the "lay down and die" type of person. Survival and a reasonable amount of comfort, and maintaining those things, are usually enough to get me out of bed everyday and do well at work.

I guess JoshuaFH, you need to spend some time thinking about what you actually want and what you're willing to do for it. For me, I still want to achieve my "ideal body" so the gym and eating right and maintaining a good diet are still important to me. It's just rebuilding the momentum on the gym side that has been tougher than I anticipated it would be.

But the idea that someone should just "care" about stuff they don't honestly want has always been foreign to me. Go back to school? Why the hell would I do that? To get a better job? Do I honestly want a better job? Not if it means putting myself back through more education.

You got a point there Nenjin. I was forced to mill around and wait and do nothing for a while today, and I couldn't help but think my biggest block in life is just my deep deep well of self-hatred. It's not about knowing what I want, because my self-hatred dictates that I don't deserve what I want. It's hard to maintain friendships, cause my self-hatred makes it easy to believe that noone wants to talk to me, so I don't talk to them; ditto for anything romantically related. It's very hard to be creative, and learn how to draw, write, or create anything, because creation means it came from inside me, and if it came from inside me my self-hatred dictates that it is not only qualitatively bad, but morally wrong to create.

I do have good days where I'm just in a good mood and can rise above this mental sickness for brief, temporary bursts of productivity and lucidity; I just can't maintain it and I sink back into the quagmire again. The best course of action seems to be to remain cognizant of this artificial negativity, consciously ignore it, and push myself to actually do things that may give me joy rather than making the assumption that I deserve to be miserable and just giving up before even starting. The hardest part, of course, is maintaining that level of objectivity, by myself, day after day.

I'm not trying to be persistently pessimistic. That's just the conclusion I've come to today.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:53:34 pm by JoshuaFH »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: October 01, 2021, 03:13:44 pm »

Go with the Socratic Method and point it at yourself.

"Why am I filled with self-hatred."

"I'm filled with self-hatred because of X."

"Why because of X?"

"Because of Z."

"Why because of Z?"

So on and so forth. Eventually, you're going to arrive at an answer for something you can't change: who you are, what happened to you, the way things have played out. Once you've identified what you can't change, then you can start looking at what you CAN change. And nothing so useless as "be happier!!!111" But things like: I can change A, B and C in my life and it will net me something. Move away from a situation that is holding me back or making me unhappy. Utilizing the time I have to do something that feels meaningful, whether it "actually is" or not. Draw for the sake of drawing, not because you're trying to improve or create something someone else values, but simply because it's a compulsion that fulfilling will bring you joy.

Alas, for some people, the world will never be as hard on them as they are on themselves. Learn to recognize when you're not being fair to yourself. Learn to distinguish between justified self-hatred (that thing that makes you police yourself) and unjustified self-hatred (wallowing in the past or refusing to accept who you are, whether that's physically, emotionally or mentally and continuing to beat yourself up about it.)

Imagine....and this might sound like a trite example or a deflection but....imagine being someone with an obvious cleft pallet. Someone with an physical deformity they can't change, can't escape, can't hide and just have to deal with their entire life. Cerebal palsy. Multiple sclerosis. Being in a wheel chair. How much personal strength must it take to look in the mirror every day and go "I can live with this." Or pick any deformity, abnormality or defect. This isn't to downplay your feelings and perceptions but to provide context. 

For me that always makes me feel better about my situation. Makes me realize, I'm actually dealing with what most people deal with, but because it's me and my whole world, of course it seems like an insurmountable problem at the time.

But yeah. Stop beating yourself up. Give yourself permission to suck, and then start thinking about what you really want out of life and what it will take to get there. Think about work you'd like to do that seems reachable, that you won't hate, that will provide you with what you want. I'm not going to do the whole "chase your dreams" thing. That's by definition for dreamers and people with a high tolerance for risk and failure. Instead, be honest with yourself about what you absolutely need, what you want and what's reachable.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:16:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: October 01, 2021, 07:14:27 pm »

Pretty sure the "socratic method" is when you wave your hands in somebody's face screaming "I'm not touching you I'm not touching you" and then getting upset when they punch you because "you weren't touching them"
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: October 01, 2021, 09:00:00 pm »

No I think it's when you say "I know that I know nothing", grin, and then push/teach all your positions using questions.

That said, Socrates was a wrestler and I feel dirty (and intimidated) for sullying his name by associating him with "just asking questions" dipshits.
http://guildedage.net/comic/chapter-31-page-1/
(And the next page.  Exploring the idea of Platonic concepts)

Edit: Heh I forgot it goes on for a third page, complete with a hushed heckler pointing out how Socratic lecturing is not always about back-and-forth.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:02:40 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 771