Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 771

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 819447 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9465 on: November 22, 2021, 12:35:31 am »

I'm beginning to dislike the concept of "acceptance criteria."  The requirement text itself should be the acceptance criteria - if you have to write something else to define it, then the requirement is not up to par.

(My previous job never had the concept - you either satisfied the requirement or you didn't. There was no additional "acceptance criteria" defined.)

If the function is required to get from A to C, it doesn't matter if it's coded through B or through D. It's our job to test that C is reachable.

Also, requirements and descriptions tend to change as the feature solidifies or ideas line up. Acceptance criteria is the hardstop where we validate exactly what the feature says it does indeed does do and is what the next text team refers to for user acceptance testing.

Sure, maybe it's covering our own asses, but if the acceptance criteria says "this thing is in the third column" and then someone decides later that the second column is okay, that someone is wrong until they update the acceptance criteria or fix the program. Maybe it's a metric of doneness for agile development, I dunno, I'm still pretty new to the agile thing as is.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: November 24, 2021, 08:49:00 pm »

quart of hard frozen ice cream from head height right into my front shin bone, freaking immediate goose egg+bruise

ow
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: November 25, 2021, 04:23:11 am »

Ouch.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: November 26, 2021, 01:24:25 am »

What flavour ice cream?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: November 26, 2021, 02:14:50 am »

You should eat that ice cream to get revenge on it for harming your foot!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: November 26, 2021, 06:36:51 am »

What flavour ice cream?

The french call it massepain, badum tiss ouch.
let

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: November 27, 2021, 04:48:29 pm »

Well the GitHub is broken. Status reports webhooks and pages are degraded.
Not here at the moment

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: November 27, 2021, 05:05:59 pm »

Oh my. I hope they didn't become the victim of a crypto attack. You'd think even the most unethical hackers would leave GitHub alone.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: November 27, 2021, 05:20:15 pm »

Also, requirements and descriptions tend to change as the feature solidifies or ideas line up. Acceptance criteria is the hardstop where we validate exactly what the feature says it does indeed does do and is what the next text team refers to for user acceptance testing.

What you have described is the definition of "requirement".  I don't understand why "they" decided to give it a new name.  Things that are against what validation is conducted and the information passed on to next teams are requirements.

When requirements change during development - you use a change management procedure and cascade those changes through the rest of the development cycle.  New validation criteria, new implementation, etc.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: November 27, 2021, 07:19:54 pm »

Fuck if I know how other businesses do it, take it up with "them" or something. We're some kind of agile and our development cycle is two weeks and coded bits of program increment in small feature developments so I don't know how that cascades across development cycles with change management procedures, and unless you're some kind of scrum master, I'm not sure our discussion of programming is fundamentally going to align, exacerbated by the fact that I'm not a coder and it's not my responsibility to know. I just tell people their shit's broke in expected and unexpected ways.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: November 27, 2021, 09:31:29 pm »

Sorry None, I wasn't directing anything at you in particular - just at the whole Agile thing of "old is busted, we'll make it new!" and then basically inventing the term Acceptance Criteria to replace Requirement, when it serves the same purpose.

A rose by any other name, and all that.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: December 02, 2021, 12:36:30 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:38:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: December 07, 2021, 12:40:02 am »

I'm just a little bothered by my daily loneliness. I was just thinking: it's much harder being lonely in winter, because the cold feels so much colder. I go to visit my Mom, Sister, and Niece; I want to give my sister a hug, but she is too busy lying in bed and on her phone to give me a hug or anything. I want to give my Niece a hug, especially since she has the potential to be the last granule of sanity in my life, but she's just a baby and she's sleeping. My Mom is more than willing to hug me, but my lifetime of resentment towards her makes interacting with her something I have to endure.

Being back home, it's very hard to enjoy anything by myself when it's tinged through with my dissatisfaction with life. I had some games I wanted to play with online friends, but they're all busy or sick. I have to restrain myself from getting angry with them, because I know it's not their fault, I just want to hang out with someone.

I have an interview tomorrow for a receptionist position. I hope my hair isn't too long to seem unprofessional, and I hope I can remember how to behave myself in a professional environment. I sometimes feel like my knowledge and skills are leaking out of my ears, so I seriously hope I can put my best foot forward and impress them enough to get this job. I'm kinda running out of opportunity in this city.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: December 07, 2021, 07:36:02 am »

Best of luck for your interview, let's keep your internet connected. I'd offer to play but currently I'm absorbed in Dual Universe again and I seem to recall that's not for you... Other than that maybe a little guild wars 1 on the side if that's somehow tantalizing. Hope you will have it easier to hug your mom, doesn't come easy to me neither.
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: December 07, 2021, 10:43:17 am »

WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME? MY INTERVIEW WAS YESTERDAY. I WROTE IT DOWN WRONG. I WROTE IT WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE, HOW COULD I GET IT WRONG?? I'VE FUCKING DISQUALIFIED MYSELF WITH SUCH A RUDIMENTARY FUCKING ERROR. I OFFICIALLY DESERVE ALL THE MISFORTUNE AND MISERY IN MY LIFE, I'VE BROUGHT THIS ON MYSELF, I DESERVE TO FUCKING DIE. MY VOICE IS HOARSE FROM SCREAMING IN MY CAR. JUST GODDAMNIT I'M WORTHLESS.

AND JUST TO RUB IT IN, THE MOMENT I WALK OUT OF THE OFFICE, I GET A TEXT SAYING THE FUCKING MCHIRE PROCESS FOR MCDONALDS IS READY TO MOVE FORWARD. THE COMEDIC TIMING IS SO FUCKING ON POINT I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE IT. I'M A FUCKING JOKE. WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY I'VE PISSED AWAY THROUGH MY OWN INCOMPETENCE, AGAIN! FUCKING AGAIN! I'LL NEVER FUCKING RECOVER FROM THIS. THIS IS A FUCKING MORTAL BLOW TO MY SELF-WORTH. JUST FUCK ME.
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 771