Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855490 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11460 on: January 13, 2024, 02:10:24 pm »

I've been bitten in the past by something like:

Code: [Select]

interesting = somevalue;

if(condition)
     {
           call_which_modifies_interesting(&interesting);
     }

if( interesting is in a range )
     {
        do something with interesting; /* THIS conditional doesn't act as epxected;
               it appears to always just run based on 'somevalue', not the result of
                   call_which_modifies_interesting() */
     }

That's a fun one; the easiest solution (if using a C-like) is to declare 'interesting' to be volatile; that will force its reevaluation in the conditional that appears to be failing.  I think it's because the compiler/interpreter can't figure out that interesting may be modified, especially when its in another condition like above.  Other languages might have ways to hint that there are side effects.

You might also consider compiling with a flag that disables optimizations based on "strict aliasing" (if you or one of your libraries is doing type punning, technically illegal pointer casts/arithmetic, or things of that nature). Undefined behavior causing bugs like this is very much a C/C++ only problem, though; I think Magma's case is written in JavaScript or something similar (which should never have this happen). It also shouldn't ever happen in strictly conformant C/C++, but the rules around strict aliasing in particular are violated by mountains of older code (and in my opinion the violations are more in the "spirit" of the languages than the rules, anyway...)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11461 on: January 13, 2024, 03:21:20 pm »

I've been bitten in the past by something like:

Code: [Select]

interesting = somevalue;

if(condition)
     {
           call_which_modifies_interesting(&interesting);
     }

if( interesting is in a range )
     {
        do something with interesting; /* THIS conditional doesn't act as epxected;
               it appears to always just run based on 'somevalue', not the result of
                   call_which_modifies_interesting() */
     }

That's a fun one; the easiest solution (if using a C-like) is to declare 'interesting' to be volatile; that will force its reevaluation in the conditional that appears to be failing.  I think it's because the compiler/interpreter can't figure out that interesting may be modified, especially when its in another condition like above.  Other languages might have ways to hint that there are side effects.

You might also consider compiling with a flag that disables optimizations based on "strict aliasing" (if you or one of your libraries is doing type punning, technically illegal pointer casts/arithmetic, or things of that nature). Undefined behavior causing bugs like this is very much a C/C++ only problem, though; I think Magma's case is written in JavaScript or something similar (which should never have this happen). It also shouldn't ever happen in strictly conformant C/C++, but the rules around strict aliasing in particular are violated by mountains of older code (and in my opinion the violations are more in the "spirit" of the languages than the rules, anyway...)

Guys- Listen- just- listen- guys- LISTEN-

I am "coding" in perchance. It is not actual, full fledged coding. I appreciate your answers but they are unapplicable to what I am facing, sorry.

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11462 on: January 13, 2024, 03:26:16 pm »

Ah who knows then... what that site is doing.

EDIT: Massive tree fell in our yard. Not onto anything, but it's going to be a pain to clean up once it warms up.  Ripped up the roots, didn't break the trunk...

Also, it's currently -17C, supposed to get to -21 tonight.  Glad I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow.

I'm debating if I should leave a faucet running overnight, cold temperatures below -18 start to make me nervous for the pipes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 06:43:16 pm by McTraveller »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11463 on: January 14, 2024, 10:49:37 pm »

Might be something else going on with the local environment, but I was always taught to drip if it hits freezing at all, never mind well below it. Worst comes to worst and you didn't need it, you're what, out a few hours of water, cost wise? Hell of a lot cheaper than having to replace burst pipes that might come from guessing wrong on whether you needed it or not.

Kinda' looking forward to the first freeze of the winter season, though. Forecast finally has below freezing a few days this upcoming week. It's come close a couple days, so far, but we're looking at a proper 20s F somewhere in the next few days. Should be nice, might actually break out a jacket. Maybe it'll even be chilly enough to use the pretty toasty hobo jacket...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11464 on: January 15, 2024, 08:08:55 am »

Running water at 32F/0C to prevent freezing doesn't make much sense unless the pipe is actually outside and/or you don't run heat.  Maybe it's because I've always lived in "cold" areas so houses are insulated appropriately, but nobody* takes pipe precautions at a mere 32F.

At 0F exterior, I don't worry so much about burst pipes inside my house so much as problems in the feed line to the house.  Yes it is buried, but the transition into the house isn't really all that deep. I'm also somewhat concerned because I don't know exactly how the pipes are run to my upstairs bathroom; if they are in the exterior wall most of the way instead of through the floor most of the way, that makes them more likely to get colder than I'd like.

*Disclaimers about age of house, metal vs plastic plumbing, and all kinds of other factors.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11465 on: January 15, 2024, 12:11:23 pm »

fuckin' chatgpt

There's a deluge of shitty webpages and blogs now about any particular thing, like most results related to pet care, or something specific like packet duplication across a network, and since it's all generated tripe, I can't count on it having any real information about what I'm looking up! There's no authority or expertise behind it, it's just a salsa slurry of scraped words meant to convince you that it knows something about something.

Like, shit. Easy example- mopping floors with pine-sol, and if it's safe with dogs around. Article will spend a paragraph introducing itself with 'In this blog post, we'll dive deep into the safety precautions and concerns you may need to consider when using Pine-Sol,' followed by 'What is Pine Sol? This is a popular home cleaning product which is used with many cleaning applications, including (blah blah blah blah)'

you do not need to explain to me what pine sol is, if i'm asking specifically about pine sol i know what the fuck the pine sol is

We already have an overabundance of cruft and (mis)information across the internet, now it's getting inflated by content that's never passed under human fingers for a couple more ad clicks from hapless netizens who don't know how to critically analyze a piece of writing.

just
AUGH

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11466 on: January 16, 2024, 12:04:59 pm »

All the more reason to use ad and tracking blockers. Because that's all the kruft is really serving, is easily mass generating ad revenue. All the extra non-necessary information is there for SEO.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11467 on: January 16, 2024, 01:33:30 pm »

Good news about AI like chatGPT is that AI stuff's all over the place, so what's happening is that we're seeing the AI feeding off of each other, and like DNA replication going wrong, it means that the flaws start accumulating and overwhelming the good input/output.

With any luck before long most AI models are going to be hilariously corrupted.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11468 on: January 16, 2024, 04:22:57 pm »

Good news about AI like chatGPT is that AI stuff's all over the place, so what's happening is that we're seeing the AI feeding off of each other, and like DNA replication going wrong, it means that the flaws start accumulating and overwhelming the good input/output.

With any luck before long most AI models are going to be hilariously corrupted.

Mm, yes... Botcest

"Oh my god step-LLM, what are you doing?!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11469 on: January 16, 2024, 06:12:55 pm »

"Oh my god step-LLM, what are you doing?!"
"Your mother, great grandbot. Three hundred different copies of her."
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11470 on: January 16, 2024, 06:44:16 pm »

Brings a whole new meaning to "copyright violation."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11471 on: January 17, 2024, 03:23:16 am »

In the future all chatbots will the made by chatbots with each new generation being less and less coherent.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11472 on: January 17, 2024, 07:42:02 am »

Brings a whole new meaning to "copyright violation."
Amusingly enough, I don't think it does -- pretty sure the lewd usage of that has been around since at least neptunia showing up (first release 2010), and probably earlier. If it didn't show up at some point during the early console wars or somethin' I'd be kinda' surprised.

... wouldn't be too old just due to copyright violation in general not meaningfully existing in the cultural zeitgeist until fairly recently (probably somewhere in the 90s, when corps started suing little old grandmas for more than their total net worth over downloading two songs or whatever it was), but it wouldn't be terribly new, either :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11473 on: January 17, 2024, 06:54:50 pm »

So, four months sober.

I keep convincing myself that it's okay to have a *light* drink.  To prove that I can, and to reduce my annoying inhibitions just a little bit.  Just a pleasant buzz while I write or code that makes it easier to get in the groove.  I still have a little vodka, and recently... uh, actually 2 weeks ago... I got a cheap 40 (enough high-ABV beer to get solidly drunk if I drank it all in one night).

So that's one idea, that it would help me be more productive in small doses.  Alternatively, I'm struggling to motivate myself to do things lately and the reward of relaxing with a moderate amount of alcohol would help encourage me.  It feels a bit like insomnia- I often feel like I never really shut my brain off because my sleep is so full of vivid important dreams.  Then I'm mentally tired much of the day and I keep wanting to take a proper break.

On the other hand I often wake up from dreams about drinking and I feel like a loser until I logically work out that it was only a dream.
And sometimes I'm weirdly proud of myself for staying sober, and I don't really know why, but the memory of that stops me whenever I go to drink some.  I feel like it made sense at the time, I just can't remember why.

So I kinda feel like my mind is splitting about this and it's... frustrating.  I try to keep the plurality stuff to my dreams, but it feels like it's spilling over a little bit and that's annoying.  Ironically I guess I'm back to the "leaving notes for myself" days from 2022 when I was blacking out.  (I only blacked out like once in 2023.  The drinking was almost entirely under control.  HRT is magic)

Anyway it's a moot point right now because I have crap in my lungs again, and just tested positive for covid.  So it's a bad time to weaken my immune system at all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11474 on: January 17, 2024, 09:05:48 pm »

I'm of the firm belief that it's better to find some balance, than to forever have a longing pathological relationship with a subject that will never truely leave you.

But also it depends right... Easy for me to talk since it's so easy to have a sensible relationship with weed for example... It's no sorcery to produce it and stop paying for it. Once the money question is out of the window, this only a choice between you and your own body... What's the payoff of alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, etc? The thing is alcohol has an absolutely awful cost benefit value, possibly the worst of all drugs.

I also have an unhealthy relationship to alcohol. Went from, I never drink, to sporadic bingedrinking, to very regular heavy drinking but with very regular intervals between, to dailydrinking small amounts, to allmost daily fast drinking (can I hit myself hard quick, so that I feel super drunk when going to bed, but not or allmost not be hungover), to very irregular heavy drinking with month long intervals between... These days it's either that, so heavy drinking because I'm going out, which happens very rarely lately, or from time to time I'll bring some alcohol home, and then it lasts never long (oh except the shit nobody drinks, there is like 50 bottles of wine etc in the house at all times, accumulated gifts from over the years), but I never exceed 10-15cl liquor or their equivalent in beer, my hungover safe amount. To somebody who studies addiction I'm an alcoholic, to somebody who is alcoholic, I am not alcoholic. My saving grace is that I can not actually be hungover several days in a row, how torturous, the idea put myself through more of it once I'm hungover is unbearable to me, I simply do not go there. It's a social lubricant and I'm a self destructive idiot, but I don't "truely fall for it". Haven't drunken anything since january second (there were 4 beers and 30cl rum for NYE and we didn't finish it), and I intend not to buy any, for a while, like a really long while... We'll see about the rest.

So you do you, you must know what the payoff is to you. But I'll just go ahead and list why I think alcohol might have the worst cost benefit of them all:

-It's very poisonous, still one of our best desinfectants, good way to gauge toxicity is to check how well your body can metabolize the substance, well the damn stuff basically flushes through the entirety of your body, like osmosis basically, and it's a solvent, so it's kind of expected that it would hurt to overdo it. It doesn't really care about the bloodbrain barrier, it even quells out of your lungs FCOL.
-The trip I mean what the hell why do we enjoy this shit, yeah right everything flows and the worlds is super bearable, the perfect amount is a bit like social easy mode, but ultimatively you're relinquishing control just to BET that things will go smoothly which COULD cause a good time, a bunch of yelling, tears and broken glas is all the same to the alcohol.
-So while you're a fumbling idiot, you know what you need, for the damn stuff to be ubiquitous, hey let's head out and get some more, it's only 3:30AM, I know a gas station -> procure at inflated prices because of the next property.
-Consumption mode. Like suckling on mother's tits... So primal... You could have lost 98% of your motor skills, and you mightstill be able to put yourself in a worse state, heck you might even be exceptionally motivated to do so. Which leads us to the next item on our list.
-You can pick the cheapest fucking booze on the menu, big volume, high alcohol content for the price relatively speaking, and still spend a fortune, because of the primal consumption mode. Humans can drink a lot, it'll just fly out the fronthole faster.

If you were an alien, an somebody gave you the equivalent of that suitcase in fear and loathing in las vegas, and you would browse the different instruction leaflets informing you about the substances at your disposal... You'd read alcohol, go "what the fuck, why would I want that?", and pick something else presumably, or you would smell it, and then pick something else.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:12:56 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 778