Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Current state of World activation  (Read 5281 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Current state of World activation
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 08:53:43 pm »

Are town populations actually 'pulled from thin air'? Aren't they just local population numbers being upgraded to historical figure status when you enter a site? The world's not just made up of historical figures.
There's more history figures and I think that if you generate into a site the whole population is turned into history figures instantly(Because you need to 'have known them since your/their birth', but once you talk to them, the majority of them have no family or history)

I am pretty sure that once you're in a new site and don't talk to people, those people don't become history figs, but I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Ideally someone would either run a fortress/adventurer for 10 years and then check legends for historical maps between 250(125) and 260(135), as those would show both territory changes as well as new settlements being generated on a single map. Longest fort I have for this version was only 5 years though.

They are definetly not brought from thin air, the world tracks town populations and upgrades to hist figs as needed, I successfully depopulated  a hamlet permanantly in the adventure mode science thread.And toady confirmed populations are tracked in the resent fotf reply.So you can kill off entire races. etc.
There is an abstract population from each site, and a migrant pulled from that pool is "rolled up" and instantiated as a historical figure the moment he or she enters your map.  Before that, he/she is just part of a counter of how many dwarves were at the site.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 09:19:15 pm »

Are town populations actually 'pulled from thin air'? Aren't they just local population numbers being upgraded to historical figure status when you enter a site? The world's not just made up of historical figures.
There's more history figures and I think that if you generate into a site the whole population is turned into history figures instantly(Because you need to 'have known them since your/their birth', but once you talk to them, the majority of them have no family or history)

I am pretty sure that once you're in a new site and don't talk to people, those people don't become history figs, but I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Ideally someone would either run a fortress/adventurer for 10 years and then check legends for historical maps between 250(125) and 260(135), as those would show both territory changes as well as new settlements being generated on a single map. Longest fort I have for this version was only 5 years though.

They are definetly not brought from thin air, the world tracks town populations and upgrades to hist figs as needed, I successfully depopulated  a hamlet permanantly in the adventure mode science thread.And toady confirmed populations are tracked in the resent fotf reply.So you can kill off entire races. etc.
There is an abstract population from each site, and a migrant pulled from that pool is "rolled up" and instantiated as a historical figure the moment he or she enters your map.  Before that, he/she is just part of a counter of how many dwarves were at the site.

Thats what I meant when I said " the world tracks town populations and upgrades to hist figs as needed"
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 09:50:02 pm »

Sorry, didn't clarify that I was expanding on your point.  Didn't mean to come off like I was refuting it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 11:44:49 am »

Yeah its population that gets upgraded, before they become hist figs they are just enity population numbers. So its not from thin air, but its pretty much from thin air.

edit:
Didnt mean to necro, and i actually answered this already, sorry
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 [2]