Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)  (Read 19549 times)

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:38 am »

I've played dwarf fortress for years, but never a succession game. Would anyone be interested in playing a pure vanilla game, one year each with a focus on roleplaying? First come first serve on que order. World has not been created yet, if anyone with experience has advice on the type of world best for succession games wants to weigh in.

-----
EDIT: World now created.
My name is Dastot Floorlocks, dwarf of the Robust Rooms. Early in the spring of 250 Bosa Nightmarehate rose through the ranks of nobility to become the queen of the Robust Rooms, in but one season. Her speedy ascension was the cause of much speculation, and there was rumor of revolt within the kingdom. Her first royal decree therefore, was the ordering of the construction of a fortress along the river Sorrowstrangled, in order to cement her rule in the area. The task of leading the expedition fell on my shoulders, and as a loyal queensdwarf I could not refuse. Also, anyone who refuses the command of a one eyed queen called Nightmarehate had better not be too attached to their own head. With my orders and a band of plucky volunteers who dubbed themselves The Bees of Carnage, we will build a fortress to rival any other in this land, to stop all those who would doubt the legitmacy of Queen Bosa Nightmarehate, long may she reign.
And we shall call it Obotadil, CrackedWalls!

Turn List:
Year1- Parzival Completed
Year2- Onciblu Completed
Year3- TheImortalRyukan Completed
Year4- Salmeuk Completed
Year5- Sanctume Completed

Waiting list:
El Rey De Los Monos
Spriggans
TheImortalRyukan

The current save:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11835
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:51:58 am by Parzival1 »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Vanilla 42.04 Succession Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 01:27:54 pm »

I'd like to play, but probably in about 2 weeks.

My advice is making small or pocket world, for fps. Also, if you know hoe, increase the number of volcanos (generate world with advanced perimiters)

Also, dont worry overmuch if the game is inactive. We have lost quite a lot of active players.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »

Choose an angle, or goals to give direction and flavor for the players and readers. 

Try out the world-gen you make, maybe read up on legends to help narrow the theme and have some back story from the beginning. 

Or skip that, and pick a starting scenario that sounds fun for you.

I have a handful at the moment, but I do try to keep up with various games here.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:50:45 pm »

My name is Dastot Floorlocks, dwarf of the Robust Rooms. Early in the spring of 250 Bosa Nightmarehate rose through the ranks of nobility to become the queen of the Robust Rooms, in but one season. Her speedy ascension was the cause of much speculation, and there was rumor of revolt within the kingdom. Her first royal decree therefore, was the ordering of the construction of a fortress along the river Sorrowstrangled, in order to cement her rule in the area. The task of leading the expedition fell on my shoulders, and as a loyal queensdwarf I could not refuse. Also, anyone who refuses the command of a one eyed queen called Nightmarehate had better not be too attached to their own head. With my orders and a band of plucky volunteers who dubbed themselves The Bees of Carnage, we will build a fortress to rival any other in this land, to stop all those who would doubt the legitmacy of Queen Bosa Nightmarehate, long may she reign.
And we shall call it Obotadil, CrackedWalls!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:08:12 am »

You may want to "Modify" the original post with the backstory you have here, and change the title to "CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.04)".  That will change the name seen in the forum listing as well.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.05)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:48:06 am »

You may want to "Modify" the original post with the backstory you have here, and change the title to "CrackedWalls Succession Fortress (Vanilla 42.04)".  That will change the name seen in the forum listing as well.
Thanks for the advice!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:51:24 pm »

possible turn?

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »

The Lay of the Land
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

15th Granite 250
Today we have finally reached the spot we shall call home. After a week travelling east through the black sands the sight of solid grass and rock is a relief. Our journey has given me time to think though, about our purpose here. I had flashes of vision, a fortress of glass, spires glinting in the morning light, a true marvel of dwarven engineering and architecture. A monument worthy of Bosa Nightmarehate.

Unfortunately, no one among our expedition has even seen a glass smelter, let alone been trained to use one. I have with me a miner, a mason, a fisherdwarf, a gem cutter, and two useless dwarfs who were in the wrong place when they were drafting recruits. Our glass castle will have to wait, first things first we must begin to store our possessions underground lest an opportunistic owl steal something.

22nd Slate 250
I have seen a herd of Muskox to the north today, which I will have to remember. They could turn out to be useful later. Large, hairy, smelly creatures, they'd fit right in with us. Still no sign of anything hostile, luckily for us.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Work progresses well on the fortress. I have set up temporary storage, along with two farms, and we are currently mining out a large bedroom. Zefon our miner complained about the number of rooms I had him dig, far more then we currently need, but I told him it's best to plan ahead. The dwarf's too lazy for his own good, plus we should have plenty of help sent from the homeland once we've got ourselves settled in.
Spoiler: Fortress (click to show/hide)

1st Hematite 250
Summer is upon us. After a well spent spring we now have food, drink and shelter sorted out. This summer we begin living and not just surviving. First we'll need a dining room and workshops set up.

14th Malachite 250
Two migrants wandered in today. Lorbam and Ilral, a gelder and a doctor respectively. When I questioned them about their relevant skills they just stared at their feet and mumbled. We have no animals that need gelding, nor supplies for a hospital. I'm not entirely sure what they thought they would contribute, we're little more than a hole in the mud currently. They'll be hauling stone for a long time, not the adventure they were dreaming of I'm sure, but it's what we need most right now. They brought a camel too, load of use that will be.

1st Limestone 250
All too quickly summer is gone. The dining room is complete, along with a mason's, carpenter's and jeweler's. So far everything is going smoothly.

11th Limestone 250
Carvan arrived from Subilmosus today. We had nothing to sell them yet but I had a long chat with the merchants about the state of the kingdom. Word is starting to spread about our fortress, he told us to expect many more migrants once the place is hospitable. I gave a smug look to Zefon at that point, but he just grumbled about getting back to work.

18th Limestone 250
Five more migrants wandered in today, just as the merchants predicted. Erush, Zasit, Kel, Rigoth, Sakzul they said their names were, which makes fourteen of us now. I may have to start writing these all down.

21st Timber 250
A rattlesnake came out of the desert today and startled Kubuk. We don't have any military set up, so I had to order Sakzul and Rigoth to deal with it. Watching them punch the snake to death was some of the best entertainment we've had all autumn. They ended up shattering it's teeth and making it vomit all over the floor. Too much calm has softened us though, I may have to leave out snake bait to keep these dwarves on their toes. We have no true way of defending ourselves if faced with a real threat, at some point we will have to start making armor and weapons, and training soldiers. There has never been a fortress that has gone unraided in all of history. So many things to do. We do have a handful of snake teeth lying about the fortress now though, maybe we can make them into a necklace.
Spoiler: True Teamwork (click to show/hide)

1st Moonstone 250
And like that winter is on us. Work has begun on the glass walls, although currently they're glass pillars. We have the industry set in place though, a series of glass smelters, kilns and wood furnaces. Kubuk is going wild with the fishing, far more than we can reasonably eat. Last time I checked we had 80 of them lying around in barrels, and she's out there now, getting her hands wet. I'll have to find her a hobby.

1st Granite 251
Well, after an unremarkable winter I think I'm about ready to retire. I was out watching the morning sun glinting off the beginning of our glass walls when Zefon pointed out it's been a whole year I've been in charge of The Bees of Carnage. I've done reasonably well if I do say so myself, no one has died, we have our food and shelter sorted out for the most part. We live in relative comfort, but it is not the jewel of the Robust Rooms I had promised it would be. Not yet. I will leave that up to someone else though. There is always one more project just about to be finished, and I feel that if I don't leave now I never will. The fortress is definitely more lively now, the fourteen of us function like a well oiled machine. I think I'll stick around, but someone else can take a turn at the wheel.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:42:49 pm by Parzival1 »

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 06:20:39 pm »

I wanna a turn
Ô_ quack

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 06:22:49 pm »

you shoul edit your first post and stick a turnlist there! i wish you luck, and prosperity with this thread.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 11:42:56 am »

When you say a glass castle you mean everything made of glass? even the floor?
Ô_ quack

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 02:00:36 pm »

I wanna a turn

You can be next, The floor doesn't have to be made of glass. You don't even have to build a glass castle if you don't want to, it's up to you.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:15:26 pm »

Ok, I will start soon
Ô_ quack

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 07:31:00 am »

Spoiler: Spring report (click to show/hide)

Don't mind the spelling
Ô_ quack
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12