Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human soldiers/mercenaries  (Read 3833 times)

Argus_Mccray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human soldiers/mercenaries
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:57:35 am »

I recently started playing the new version and have had several humans petition to live in my fort as soldiers. This has caused several issues that I am trying to resolve.

1. All human soldiers I have accepted have immediately dropped their weapons upon their petition being accepted, sometimes as well as other personal trophies. These dropped items show up in the stocks screen, but cannot be equipped, dumped, stockpiled, or otherwise interacted with. I suspect it might be an ownership flag issue?

2. Is there any way to manufacture human-sized armors for your mercenaries? I would rather they not attempt to wear their regular clothes out to battle. I would normally just buy large armors from a human caravan, but they have not appeared yet in two years despite showing up as neighbors and not being at war with them.

Any suggestions on how to fix these issues?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Human soldiers/mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:02:45 am »

For the 1st question, i can't say, never got any soldier/mercs coming on my fort.
For the 2nd question, in the forge , request the creation of an armor piece and press d  , you will be able to change for who will be made that piece from the default dwarf to any other kind of creature instead.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:17:19 am »

When you loo(k) at the item does it show ownership? Try forbidding it for awhile if you can and see if it eventually releases ownership. I know you said you cant interact but its all i can really think of.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:31 am »

With all the mercenaries I had come to my fort, they would lose ownership after a short time and the discarded items - often lying in my mayor's office - would be moved (or become meltable). Though, I do have armor and clothes for humans. But I'm quite certain it didn't matter if there were new items for them to wear or not.
For a long time my military pretty much just trained naked - and then the non-dwarves were training naked until I finally made them some armor.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:36:26 am »

1. All human soldiers I have accepted have immediately dropped their weapons upon their petition being accepted, sometimes as well as other personal trophies. These dropped items show up in the stocks screen, but cannot be equipped, dumped, stockpiled, or otherwise interacted with. I suspect it might be an ownership flag issue?
So THATs why the floor of my mayor's office is littered with copper weapons!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:40:10 am »

Maybe they throw down their weapons as a sign of respect or compliance.
One wheel short of a wagon

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:23:42 pm »

They do dump the weapons, but usually I assign to them specifically what they dropped - even if it's a crummy material like copper or silver for a two-handed sword. 's not like I have tonnes of other two-handed swords. Usually they'll go about not being armed and leave it where it is, but after a while they'll pick it up.  Right now f.e. Cadi Tawkikopoh (Rosystakes) swing a silver two-handed sword about and I'm led to believe it's his own.

He also seems to have a steel short sword which is deffo dwarfmade and therefore probably my mistake.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »

They do dump the weapons, but usually I assign to them specifically what they dropped - even if it's a crummy material like copper or silver for a two-handed sword. 's not like I have tonnes of other two-handed swords. Usually they'll go about not being armed and leave it where it is, but after a while they'll pick it up.  Right now f.e. Cadi Tawkikopoh (Rosystakes) swing a silver two-handed sword about and I'm led to believe it's his own.

He also seems to have a steel short sword which is deffo dwarfmade and therefore probably my mistake.

He's just pretending to be all manly by using a massive, dull blade, but secretly knows that the only thing that's going to keep him alive when the gobbos invade is the dwarven steel he had strapped to his thigh. . .

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 09:29:55 pm »

Just put him in squard and set his equipment to individual choice, if there is no better thing to use he will go pick his.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 04:16:55 am »

or like I said set his equipment to specifically what he brought.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.